Class at Hospital - "Lithium battery in ecigarettes release carcinogenics." Help me respond to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
UK
Okay, a little update.

I just sent an email to my supervisor (not the same nurse from the meeting; that person floats to different medical centers), asking for a source for Monday's meeting. OT, my supervisor intimidates the lala out of me :blink:

I really thought I'd be able to pull something up online, quite easily. I've always been able to find some type of data on information disseminated through work - well, until now. I feel a mixture of bewildered that I'm not seeing anything to back up what they're telling us, and plain ignorant that I can't find any specific data.

Maybe I'm getting a taste of the latest, complete myth that's commencing to circulate the medical strata, I don't know.

I may be intimidated by (a few of) my superiors, but I'm tenacious, and I'm going to find out something, dangnit!

Don't let them intimidate you.
To keep practicing I have to do loads of CPD and my treatments have to be shown to be "evidence based", the latest buzzword in the UK, and if I go on any sort of course or lecture, I expect the lecturer to do the same for me, so I can show the evidence in my portfolio.
It seems that the lower down the totem pole you are, the more evidence you have to show for your work, and my professional body, comprised of pen pushing managers, can strike me off if I don't adhere to their rules, but there are many who don't have to show this.

Keep pushing. I hope that if anything similar happens to me, I would be able to challenge the speaker to show the evidence at the time, but I think, like you, I would be sat there thinking, "that doesn't sound right, but I don't want to challenge it as I'm not sure.."

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2013
MA, USA
I have a tablet with a Lithium battery, With the right app, I can make it quite warm (I know where the battery sits, versus the actual circuitry). Nexus 7. Some apps cause a drain on the battery, even though the rapid charger is plugged in.

But I can't think of any circumstance where one would be exposed to venting from a Lithium battery. Even the highest mod with sub-ohm coils won't vent to you.

Jaguar07

Carpe Nocturne
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
Long Beach, California, USA
The following is what occurs when a Lithium Ion battery is venting near or beyond the explosion point

The severity of a vent can range from a slight leak of electrolyte around the glass
to the metal seal to a violent expulsion of material through the seal or an explosion
In instances where the cell is unrestrained, this can lead to the cell becoming a projectile.
It is unlikely that any lithium battery would explode. These events are rare and are usually the
result of an abusive condition or misuse that raises the cell temperature above its critical point.
In the event of a lithium battery explosion, a room can quickly fill with a dense white smoke
that can cause severe irritation to the respiratory tract, eyes, and skin.
Precautions must be taken to limit exposure to these fumes.
The electrolyte contained in Electrochem cells can cause severe irritation to the respiratory
tract, mucous membranes, eyes, and skin. Electrolyte reacts with moisture to form
Hydrogen Chloride (HCl) and Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) gases.
Some electrolytes can release Bromine (Br2) and Chlorine (Cl2) gases as well as HCl and SO2.

A LiMn cell can begin to runaway at 212 degrees farhenheit or 100 Degrees celcius. I doubt any one is going to continue to hold onto a device when the battery inside reaches that temp, but those are the numbers from the Material Safety Data Sheet from Panasonic. The largest manufacturer of Lithium type batteries and cells.

Last edited:

Monkey7

Mar 20, 2012
USA
No. No difference. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

The battery powers a heating coil. The "atomizer". The battery, in all cases, is a sealed unit.

In fact, the "explosion" of batteries (and it's not just lithium-ion that can do this) is actually a catastrophic bursting of the casing. Which can happen with just about any battery that exists if something goes horribly wrong. A "dead short" will cause any--and all--batteries to overheat. The chemical reactions taking place will causes gasses to build up and the casing will, eventually, burst. This is what people take to be the "explosion". Which it isn't technically. But it's impressive when it happens.

The battery, itself, should never heat up at all. Maybe warm some under very, very, very heavy use but I've never had a Li-Ion be even "warm to the touch" playing around with electronic widgets (hobby thing). I take even a slight warming of the battery to mean "fault in the system".

I see other folks mentioning cell phones. That's not actually the battery causing the warmth. That's the circuitry. Integrated circuits (and other bits) generate heat when they run. That's why your computer and/or laptop have fans. The CPU in my machine right at this moment is 124 F (yeah, I'm that geeky, I have it monitored and can manually adjust the fans).

What actually happens in cell phones is since they are, essentially, radios and are meant to be mobile is they adjust their power as needed to "reach" the nearest tower. If you're on the edge of tower signals (I'm in a dip in the terrain and get mediocre signals here), cells will rev up their signals to get to the tower. Mine always run "hot" if I talk for more than a few minutes.

Pop out the battery, though, it shouldn't be all that warm even then. Not in a well designed system. The general heat the circuits are generating will, of course, warm the battery casing even if the battery itself is running cool as can be. And that is what happens with a PV/e-cig by the way.

Thank you for pointing this out. I was under the impression the battery did indeed heat up (along with the atty), at least in the blue ecig she was holding up, literally saying it was the battery.

The atomizer--which is a wholly separate unit--is a heater. It has a small coil of wire that's meant to heat up. I heavy vaper (such as myself) will notice the heat warming the PV casing a bit. It's not coming from the battery and moving up, it's coming from my clearo and moving down.

And the well designed systems account for this. The outer casing is metal right? It acts as a heat sink and radiates heat outward and away from the internal battery and circuits. Like, oh, every piece of electronics on the planet does.

Right. I use an Innokin itaste vv, and the fact that I cannot feel any warmth whatsoever beneath the casing, was one of the zillions of things whirring through my mind in the meeting. I had a complete inner dialog going, saying to myself "Well, even if you can feel heat in that blue cig, my PV is far superior (being sarcastic with myself, not putting down bluecig) so take that."

(Suddenly, I'm wondering how tiny fans could be made to cool PVs? :D )

Ha! Wouldn't they be adorable?

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Thank you for pointing this out. I was under the impression the battery did indeed heat up (along with the atty), at least in the blue ecig she was holding up, literally saying it was the battery.

I suppose under heavy use any battery can warm. But modern Li-Ions, even in cheap gas station disposables, have control chips with cut offs. I also have forgotten (and don't have time to dig) the guy who solved the "exploding" thing that caused all the recalls. From memory, the basics are the batteries are designed to fail and stop producing power if a "run away" condition happens. That is, the battery just dies instead of overheating.

They can still fail catastrophically (overheat, burst, catch fire) but it's so rare now driving in traffic is a far bigger risk to your health and safety. Way bigger. You might as well worry about meteor strikes.

But, no, that person was wholly off base and totally ignorant. All e-cigs and PVs whether cheap or super complex are fundamentally the same. The battery supplies electricity to the coil head and the coil head heats. That's where the heat comes from. Period.

Right. I use an Innokin itaste vv, and the fact that I cannot feel any warmth whatsoever beneath the casing, was one of the zillions of things whirring through my mind in the meeting.

Exactly. Were you to "chain vape" you might feel some heat begin to travel down the case. Coming quite clearly from the clearo/carto. I'm prone to "chain vaping" so I encounter that with my Twists now and again. I can tell by touch the heat is coming from the top, not the battery housing.

Blu disposables are a single metal tube. The heat of the built in cartomizer is dissipated along the length of the tube. Which it's supposed to do. It's one reason we use metal for making e-cigs and PVs. There must be a "heat sink" of some kind around. Cheapest way is make the whole thing in a metal tube and, voila! :)

But even with a Blu, you can tell by touch the heat is at the top where the atomizer is. The battery is further down. Much further.

"Well, even if you can feel heat in that blue cig, my PV is far superior (being sarcastic with myself, not putting down bluecig) so take that."

Oh, I started with Bleah... I mean Blu. I have many much worse things to say about them. Some things would be blocked by the forum software and get me in trouble with the mods. :pervy:

Monkey7

Mar 20, 2012
USA
I suppose under heavy use any battery can warm. But modern Li-Ions, even in cheap gas station disposables, have control chips with cut offs. I also have forgotten (and don't have time to dig) the guy who solved the "exploding" thing that caused all the recalls. From memory, the basics are the batteries are designed to fail and stop producing power if a "run away" condition happens. That is, the battery just dies instead of overheating.

They can still fail catastrophically (overheat, burst, catch fire) but it's so rare now driving in traffic is a far bigger risk to your health and safety. Way bigger. You might as well worry about meteor strikes.

But, no, that person was wholly off base and totally ignorant. All e-cigs and PVs whether cheap or super complex are fundamentally the same. The battery supplies electricity to the coil head and the coil head heats. That's where the heat comes from. Period.

:: wants to take mkbilbo to work with me and watch her school miss-blabbing-without-data-bluecigg-toting woman - who has now rangling me into official ticked-off-ed-ness ::

Monkey7

Mar 20, 2012
USA
Just a thought, but maybe take a printed copy of the CASSA survey with you to support anything you might say. If carcinogens were being produced they would appear in the analysis that is in the survey.

Hi awsum :) Which specific article? This one - or another from their site?
CASAA: New study confirms that chemicals in electronic cigarettes pose minimal health risk -- PHILADELPHIA, Aug. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

I didn't see the above article mention carcinogens specifically, one way or the other, but again, maybe I'm wrong on which article you're referring to.

I've bookmarked all the links everyone has provided in this thread (thank you!).

Cactus Breath

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
AZ
:: wants to take mkbilbo to work with me and watch her school miss-blabbing-without-data-bluecigg-toting woman - who has now rangling me into official ticked-off-ed-ness ::
There's a more non-confrontational way to approach this (assuming you're in the medical field as well, which I would assume since you're attending these classes): Tell the presenter that you're asking for peer-reviewed studies not because you're challenging his/her validity, but because you want to make sure that any information you, as a medical professional, pass on to your patients is correct and fact-based. You'd like to have access to the studies so you could pass them along if somebody challenged you as to the validity of what you're telling them.

I have a feeling that you're not going to have any luck, though....it sounds more like an old wives' tale that was started by an ANTZ doctor somewhere and passed along as gospel without being questioned along the way. I can't see any possible way that an e-cig battery, within the parameters of normal use, is outgassing. Batteries are sealed; for them to release gases, the casing would have to be compromised in some way, which would render the battery useless.

I could see where a person could be momentarily exposed to carcinogens in the case of a malfunction/thermal runaway which occurred while it was in use, but a) the chances of that are very small and b) it would be very momentary, as the battery would quickly become too hot to hold and continue using. Nobody is going to hang onto and continue vaping from a device that has reached a temperature of well over 200 degrees F!

BillyRayBob

Jun 18, 2013
Boston, MA, USA
Not in nursing school but starting my pre-requisites for it this fall. Very interesting topic on many levels!

If it was mentioned within the context of triage and entry questions, etc. Could it be just something to look out for? For instance they show up with an issue, you learn they vape, a light goes off in your brain to make sure their symptoms are not from a ruptured, exploded or malfunctioning battery?

I presume the effects would be different than a battery issue on a cellphone as when vaping, we're inhaling deeply and intently.
Wouldn't any fumes resulting from a ruptured or malfunctioning battery reach different parts of the anatomy under these circumstances than using a cellphone?

Who wrote the handbook the instructor is teaching from? Would she let you look at it? Any footnotes? Editor's name?

Obviously, in the grander scheme of things, for me to worry about carcinogens involved in vaping would be really dumb considering how much worse carbon monoxide cigarettes are! On the other hand, if it turns out there is any truth to what the instructor and oncologist said, it might be best not to discount it too quickly for the sake of vapers who have never smoked. I would really very much like to give them accurate information, even if it doesn't make vaping look like the most wonderful thing in the world.

:2c:

Last edited:

Monkey7

Mar 20, 2012
USA
Not in nursing school but starting my pre-requisites for it this fall. Very interesting topic on many levels!

If it was mentioned within the context of triage and entry questions, etc. Could it be just something to look out for? For instance they show up with an issue, you learn they vape, a light goes off in your brain to make sure their symptoms are not from a ruptured, exploded or malfunctioning battery?

I presume the effects would be different than a battery issue on a cellphone as when vaping, we're inhaling deeply and intently.
Wouldn't any fumes resulting from a ruptured or malfunctioning battery reach different parts of the anatomy under these circumstances than using a cellphone?

Who wrote the handbook the instructor is teaching from? Would she let you look at it? Any footnotes? Editor's name?

Hi BillyRayBob,

Congratulations on entering the nursing field :) This isn't a nursing class, in the strict sense, such as the case with nursing school curriculum. I've been a nurse for 13 years. These 'classes' are considered "Ongoing Education." Depending on the clinical setting you choose to enter; hospital, office, rehabilitation, you might have similar classes. The aim is to inform the staff of anything from administrative policy changes to nursing procedures - and then some.

Depending on the topic(s) of these meetings, the presenter could be someone assigned to my particular hospital. Or, more often than not, they're assigned to the network (the network of hospitals, example TriStar, HCA, etc). In short, they often are not someone I see on a regular basis or who teach from a manual. Rather, from memos issued by Administration. We are given summaries of the material discussed, because we have to sign off on them. But the summary sheets rarely contain the data to substantiate *why* we're being told, what we're being told. For example, if we're informed that pediatric patients presenting without an adult are to see certain personnel (social worker, etc), we're not told why Admin made that decision - we just follow the directive.

To your question about Triage, yes. It was put in the context of: If the patient is a previous smoker, inquire if they use(d) any cessation methodologies: nicotine gum, nicotine patches - and now, we are to inquire if they use ecigarettes. If so, we are to note that for the attending physician.

Thus far, we are not to engage with them on any "dangers." However, we're left with the impression that the Attending, will - which is why I'm a little bent out of shape. However, I aim to find out exactly what their basing the information on. I'm going to track it down.

Obviously, in the grander scheme of things, for me to worry about carcinogens involved in vaping would be really dumb considering how much worse carbon monoxide cigarettes are! On the other hand, if it turns out there is any truth to what the instrucutor and oncologist said, it might be best not to discount it to quickly for the sake of vapers who have never smoked. I would really very much like to give them accurate information, even if it doesn't make vaping look like the most wonderful thing in the world.

:2c:

I agree. I'm sitting here vaping at the moment and feel perfectly safe in doing so, especially considering the alternative. At the same time, I'm not going to completely dismiss what they're saying. If I dismissed what my superiors told me, I'd be out of a job, real quick, right? :/

But, I want to absolutely qualify what they're saying. I want to see which end of the spectrum their information lands. Dangerous, negligible, or without basis.

Right now, I'm leaning toward "negligible," based on what people are telling me here. However, I know my hospital isn't pulling the information 'out of a hat', because that's too litigious.

I just think they're blowing "something" out of proportion, and I'm going to find out what that something is.

sam12six

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Georgia
Isn't blatant untrue propaganda great?

Reminds me of the first time I noticed it. My friend's little sister (who was about 6) came home from school and told us about the awesome DARE presenter who visited her class that day and informed them that ANY contact with any substance that could be called a drug meant instant and lifelong addiction. One puff of anything burning, one sip of anything containing alcohol and it's over - you're a junkie.

I rolled my eyes so hard I got a good look at the inside of the back of my skull.

Monkey7

Mar 20, 2012
USA
My friend's little sister (who was about 6) came home from school and told us about the awesome DARE presenter who visited her class that day and informed them that ANY contact with any substance that could be called a drug meant instant and lifelong addiction. One puff of anything burning, one sip of anything containing alcohol and it's over - you're a junkie.

I guess that qualifies me as a complete Vaping junkie.

Next, they'll come up with Vapers Anonymous? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread