Do you plan to quit someday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
get some oreos cmon

I find Oreos vile and disgusting I did not grow up here so the notion they are "cookies" was not drilled into my consciousness as a toddler. They might make me puke. That might make me want to smoke less but somehow, the very IDEA of puking like, makes me want to smoke. Right this second. LOL.

I'm sorry I'm just not a big eater. it's weird I lost a lot of my sweet tooth since vaping. I will have some sort of baked good after dinner at times.

Things I could have tried: Bubble bath (OH, except I was driving to see my doctor and like, realized I had "lost" 24 hours of time which is NOT cool.

There is a real possibility I might have to take 3 weeks, not 2 honestly.. I hope not.

I mean I'm not smoking NOW but like, yeah I was happy to smoke THEN. I might smoke again that depends on like, my freaking EGHHH job scene.

I am not worried about falling of the wagon sorry it happens like once in a blue moon SERIOUSLY. LOL.

Let me stress smoke while thinking "DIE" in peace. I sincerely doubt it will affect my overall health like, it is NOT OFTEN AT ALL

Anna

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I may be in the minority but I still leave the option of smoking open. Maybe it's my nature to resist anything I am absolutely not allowed to do. I've probably had a carton over the last eight years but they've only crossed my mind a couple times this year and I've passed. If I do have a smoke it hasn't led me to go back to smoking. The first one tastes pretty good but that fades by the time it's done. No need to beat oneself up over the occasional cigarette.

If I stopped vaping entirely I would maintain a stock for when the temptation to smoke comes up, as it certainly will.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
may be in the minority but I still leave the option of smoking open.
I do to. I just haven't exercised that option in 5-1/2 years. :D

I know myself well enough to realize that there's a part of my brain that would go into total rebellion of I did not leave that option open. :oops:

Flt Simulation

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2014
Florida
Do you plan to quit someday?

No, I don't plan quitting vaping ... After smoking cigarettes for 40 years, and now vaping for the last 5 1/2 years, I am convinced that I am HOPELESSLY addicted to nicotine.

On the bright side of things .... Since I have replaced cigarettes with vaping, my lungs work so much better ... I don't cough my brains out when I get up in the morning, and I don't run out of breath walking up a few flights of stairs.

I believe I am now much healthier, and at 71 years of age, I believe vaping has added years to my life that I would never have had if I continued with that nasty cigarette habit.

After 40+ years of heavy cigarette smoking, I can't believe my lungs still work anymore ... Amazing !

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
Generally I could tell within five minutes if a person was serious or not about making it work for them. And of course, there were those who thought throwing money at the situation would be their ticket to success. I used to say, a $200 first setup (which is not what I recommended off the bat, for the record) is not a guarantee one will stop smoking. There has to be will.

I sound far more judgmental about it here, and in retrospect, than I actually was while an employee there.
My 1st device set-up of way over $100.00 & was well worth every penny & i didn't mind spending it cause I was determined to quit those-nasty-thangs !!
I'm still buying but it hasn't been in the range of what my 1st one costs me, I jus love the cute-devices & it's hard for me to pass em up.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
When I run out of supplies (nic, rayon, wire, ect) I will probably give up the habbit. Until then, I will just keep doing my thing. But with decades worth of nic, thousands of feet of wire, and over a thousand feet of rayon, it may be a while before I need to worry about it.

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    decades worth of nic
    are you sure nic. will be still good after 10 years of storing even in a freezer?
    What about 20-30 years? Does nic expire?
    Liquid aromas usually expire in 1-5 years from the date of manufacturing even when stored properly.
    Not sure about Vg/Pg expiration, seems like they can be stored for 10 years without decrease in quality. Not sure about 20+ years tho.

Reactions: stols001

Steam_Bern

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 25, 2013
    In my own little world
    When I run out of supplies (nic, rayon, wire, ect) I will probably give up the habbit. Until then, I will just keep doing my thing. But with decades worth of nic, thousands of feet of wire, and over a thousand feet of rayon, it may be a while before I need to worry about it.

A thousand feet of rayon!? I only have around 100 feet or so. I need to up my game. Do you have a good source for bulk rayon?

Steam_Bern

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 25, 2013
    In my own little world
    are you sure nic. will be still good after 10 years of storing even in a freezer?
    Liquid aromas usually expire in 1-5 years from the date of manufacturing even when stored properly.
    Not sure about Vg/Pg expiration, seems like they can be stored for 10 years without decrease in quality. Not sure about 20+ years tho.

Have a read of this thread, about long term storage of nic base:

Storing 100mg Nicotine

Kurt, out resident chemist, believes nic will stay fresh indefinitely if stored properly.

Edit: Actually that thread isn't the greatest (still a decent read though), with the original thread that Kurt posted about nic storage being long gone. Basically nic in VG will become so thick in the freezer that it stops moving. With the nicotine molecules having no movement, they have no chance to make contact with an oxygen molecule, thus no oxidation can occur. Also, the solubility of oxygen in VG is extremely low in the first place, meaning there won't be many oxygen molecules in the solution. VG does not expand at low temps, so bottles can be filled right up to the neck, leaving very little headspace for air and virtually no chance for that air to react with the nic. Long term storage of nic should be in amber glass bottles that should still be kept out of light. Light shouldn't be much of an issue in the freezer.

Here are some of Kurt's observations about his nic over the years:

"The oldest I had was from Fall of 2009, so about 7.5 years, Vermont Vapor but that is all vaped now as of this year. It never changed at all. Oldest ones I have now are 2011 Box Elder, 2012 EXC, and 2013 Wizard Lab (regular, Ice and Ultra). All in glass in freezer, and to my knowledge have not changed. Nor would I expect them to ever change: they are in glass and deep freeze (chest freezer). Essentially a chemical standstill. The Box Elder is 55 mg/mL VG-nic diluted from that landmark 272 mg/mL BE VG-nic sent to me to test, and which changed the world of vaping. It was already yellow-orange when I got it, and sat in LDPE and three freezer ziplocks in the freezer for years, until I diluted it (outside!) to 55 mg in glass. I cannot say if it changed as 272 mg in LDPE, but it probably did, being in LDPE. I don't care, since I actually enjoy some yellowed nics, and Box Elder was always one of my favorite "rough" nics, and this particular one, perhaps because of history and the impossibility of ever getting a nic like this again, is to me magnificent. Takes me right back to those heady days when quality control of DIY e-liquid had its first painful birth world wide. The market would not support this product now, even fresh, since virtually everyone wants an invisible nic."

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    @Steam_Bern covered the question about nic. And from my understanding, VG and PG has a short-ish shelf life, but it will be widely available with or without the vaping industry.

But on a side note about nic lifespan, I am more than willing to give it the test for you. If I remember, I'll let you know how it goes in a few decades.
    A thousand feet of rayon!? I only have around 100 feet or so. I need to up my game. Do you have a good source for bulk rayon?
    This box has about ~1200 feet in it. I bought mine at a local Sally's beauty supply for $20.
    Sorry, that link was to a box of the reinforced stuff (not good to vape with, has a plastic strip in it) I'll find the right link

Here is the correct link
    https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Sanek...bs.+100%+Rayon&qid=1572953472&s=beauty&sr=1-2

Last edited:

Steam_Bern

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 25, 2013
    In my own little world
    Thanks for the link! I totally missed that one and bought the 40' box when I ordered. I still have a huge bag I bought off ebay years ago that I'm working on but one can never have too much, especially in this day and age. I don't expect rayon to go away, but I wouldn't put it past the US govm't to denature it, like they did with industrial alcohol during prohibition. :mad:

Reactions: Electrodave

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Thanks for the link! I totally missed that one and bought the 40' box when I ordered. I still have a huge bag I bought off ebay years ago that I'm working on but one can never have too much, especially in this day and age. I don't expect rayon to go away, but I wouldn't put it past the US govm't to denature it, like they did with industrial alcohol during prohibition. :mad:
    Being as this product is in no way related to, marketed for, or associated with vaping, I think it is safe to say it isn't going anywhere. It is commonly used for dying hair, filling the empty space in pill bottles, removing makeup, and even used in mortuaries. You can also find this same stuff being sold at medical supply shops for medical use. This is just a product we, as vapers, repurposed for our own benefit. It would be about as likely that they would ban/regulate cotton balls.

I bought a large quantity simply because it was only a few bucks more than the smaller quantities the shop I went to offered.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    @Steam_Bern covered the question about nic. And from my understanding, VG and PG has a short-ish shelf life, but it will be widely available with or without the vaping industry.

But on a side note about nic lifespan, I am more than willing to give it the test for you. If I remember, I'll let you know how it goes in a few decades.

This box has about ~1200 feet in it. I bought mine at a local Sally's beauty supply for $20.
    Sorry, that link was to a box of the reinforced stuff (not good to vape with, has a plastic strip in it) I'll find the right link

Here is the correct link
    https://www.amazon.com/Graham-Sanek...bs.+100%+Rayon&qid=1572953472&s=beauty&sr=1-2
    That reinforced strip pulls right out, so no big deal and can be used if that's the only one available.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Steam_Bern

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 25, 2013
    In my own little world
    Being as this product is in no way related to, marketed for, or associated with vaping, I think it is safe to say it isn't going anywhere. It is commonly used for dying hair, filling the empty space in pill bottles, removing makeup, and even used in mortuaries. You can also find this same stuff being sold at medical supply shops for medical use. This is just a product we, as vapers, repurposed for our own benefit. It would be about as likely that they would ban/regulate cotton balls.

I bought a large quantity simply because it was only a few bucks more than the smaller quantities the shop I went to offered.

Yeah, I totally know the myriad other uses for rayon and understand it will be around forever, but I felt like letting my paranoia get the best of me for a moment. Funny you mention pill bottles, because I always check to see if my pill bottle filler is indeed rayon and keep it for wicking material if it is. After discovery rayon several years ago there's no way I'd go back to cotton, so I'm stocking up for piece of mind.

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread