Vaping in Public places indoor. Do you do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kopfstimmen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2012
Yes. God forbid that poor mommy have to explain to her children that steam is not the same as smoke. I wonder what mommy would say when her little darling asked why that man's coffee cup was on fire? Should my hot steak be served cold lest some parent be forced to explain to her child that it's not on fire?

Sorry. I feel no obligation to protect grown adults from answering the questions of their children, or children from asking questions. I feel less obligation to protect parents from having to teach their children the difference between vapor, steam and smoke.

Good Lord! Would you restrict all your public activities only to things children can understand without having to ask their parents questions? Children SHOULD have to ask mommy stuff. They should be encouraged and even forced to ask questions. They should always be in situations where they need to ask questions. How intellectually stunting if it were otherwise?

If you are unaware of something, I'll be glad to enlighten you. But don't expect me modify my behavior for no other reason than to cater to your unawareness. If I did that, I'd only be perpetuating your ignorance and nothing would ever happen to make vaping more socially unremarkable.

Haha! Well said, Sailorman! :)
My answer to the question: I vape in public outside - no problem. I will also vape inside public buildings, but will be a little more stealthy about it. My boss has no problem with it at work, so I take a quick hit now and then. I was at a grill party the day before yesterday, and vaped through the whole thing - even when there were kids around - if their parents feel that they can be around people drinking beer, then they can live with my vaping, is my opinion.

As far as friends and their cars or houses go, it's up to them. As far as my car or house goes, it's up to me. My stance is that if you don't like it, get out and walk or visit someone else. :)

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
I'm still relatively new to this scene, but I try to be discrete about it. There's nothing to be gained by drawing attention to oneself. In places like grocery stores I don't do it - I'm in there for a maximum of 15 minutes anyway. If I'm drinking in a bar I will do so. My waitress noticed the other night and said there was nothing wrong with it.

ahall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
illinois
I'm in Illinois...the most corrupt state ever, I was vaping last night in the otb, had to bet the belmont stakes race then after we left we stopped at a taco bell tried again, had a Niles cop tell me "put that away, " to which I replied I will when im finished and he didnt do anything. Of course I always challenge police on what they say since most cannot tell a chevrolet from a cow.

illinois corrupt? noooooo. as for police out here yes a lot seem to be on a power trip hello drew peterson anyone. but there is also a fine line when challenging them. i do not wish to spend the night in jail which half the police in my area would not hesitate to do obstructing justice or some other bull charge. so i think i would draw my line there. but congrats to you for doing it successfully and not ending up in trouble. but that said. while i wouldnt challenge them i would make sure they knew what i had and what i was doing and the diff between smoking and vaping

Cherryblossom

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2012
Florida
I live and work on a military installation, and they've lumped electronic cigarettes in with tobacco. You're supposed to use it only in designated smoking areas. So when on base I just vape in my car, and leave it at that. Oddly enough even when off base and out in public I still only vape in my car. I don't like how confrontational some people can be, and I'd rather not have to deal with some idiot getting up in my face because he's just positive I'm doing something that somehow infringes on him. I figure I can vape as much as I want in my car, or home and that's enough for me. Now when I'm in my car or at home, I vape constantly......

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I also live in California, and I usually ask for permission first, but not always...

--I have vaped openly in a few bars restaurants when I was given permission
--I have stealth vaped in a ton of restaurants and nobody has ever known
--I always stealth vape in movie theaters and other venues and nobody has ever known
--I once vaped openly inside a Padres game but was sitting with a wall at my back and had gotten permission
--I once was told I could not vape in a Padres game and so I stealth vaped instead
--I once vaped openly in front of security guards in the hallway of a concert at intermission
--I have stealth vaped on airplanes many times and nobody has ever known
--Every now and then I may take a puff in a grocery or department store if nobody is around

flippinbird87

Moved On
Jun 9, 2012
St. Louis
I vape mostly outside in public, in my house, in my car, and when I am at the mall or any huge buildings with a lot of empty space since then I feel I have no obligation to cease vaping until someone tries to through me out. If I am at a bar or resturaunt I ask and usually have no objections. Also thanks to sailorman for the info on the content of the vapors exhaled, it reassures me that I am not having a negative effect (healthwise) to others and to my 'tiel.

ahall

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
illinois
I vape mostly outside in public, in my house, in my car, and when I am at the mall or any huge buildings with a lot of empty space since then I feel I have no obligation to cease vaping until someone tries to through me out. If I am at a bar or resturaunt I ask and usually have no objections. Also thanks to sailorman for the info on the content of the vapors exhaled, it reassures me that I am not having a negative effect (healthwise) to others and to my 'tiel.

i had the same worry with my tiel and keet. it is great to know that there is no ill affects on them. and should be reassuring to anyone that has doubts to its affects on humans. birds resp. system is so very sensitive.and if there was any animal human/other that would have issues due to it it would be a birds. heck they die from candles/teflon/air fresheners all the time. even when used in a diff room

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The main problem with convincing my husband is that he believes any study done that proves vaping isn't harmful is funded by e-cig companies or people who support vaping. He's convinced that the FDA is the only unbiased opinion out there and as you may know, the FDA hasn't been very kind to vaping.

So the thing with the parrot? biased. The cardiologist on the vaping show? biased. And the studies that show second-hand vapor is less harmful than second-hand smoke don't prove that it's completely harmless, only less so. Until the FDA releases better studies, I don't think he'll believe that second-hand vapor isn't an issue.
The answer to your problem is to show him the facts.

And the fact is, the FDA study actually PROVES how harmless the exhaled vapor is.
I have seen a number of arguments that clearly show exactly that fact.

Check out the comments that follow this article as a resource for some of those arguments...
Electronic cigarettes: Help or hazard? - Harvard Health Publications

The bottom line is this...

The press release put out by the FDA, and the information on their website is purposely misleading.

But the actual test results, when you review the FDA study, show the following...
--Carcinogens found in the liquid of only 5 of 10 cartridges tested
--The "anti-freeze" was DEG which was found in the liquid of only 1 of 18 cartridges tested
--Neither carcinogens nor DEG was found in any of the vapor

See page four of the following: Actual FDA test results

The real conclusion is that the contents of the liquid are no more harmful to the user than FDA approved smoking cessation products.
And that the actual vapor delivered to the user is essentially harmless.

And if it is harmless to the user, it is most certainly harmless to any bystanders.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
As the title says, do you do it?

I live in California, and smoking is banned just about eveywhere. But does this apply to vaping? Could I pull out my Kgo, and vape it up in a resturant? A Gas Station? Anywhere in doors at all?

I don't drink, so I dont go to bars. But Im mainly wondering if there is laws about this, and/or is it accepted as ok. Can I walk around a local supermarket and vape? I'm sure it would draw a bunch of attention none the less, and I bet an employee of said establishment would come tell me stop in thoughts that I was smoking inside. The order is not offensive at all, but purely on a visual level I'm sure it would turn heads.

So do any of you have any background with this? Have you vaped inside a public place at all? Do you ask first before you do?

-Ryan

I vape indoors. I used to ask but now I just do it wherever I feel like it. However, I don't vape at gas stations because it's like one of those "yelling fire in a crowded theater." It could cause people to go into an extreme panic mode, fearing that the gas station is going to explode. That is the only place where I "care" if other people think it looks like a cigarette. Elsewhere, I don't care if they think it looks like an analog.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
I vape in public all the time. At the store, in school, heck even in front row in class I can be found blissfully taking notes and puffing away and the only attention I have gotten were inquiries from smokers as to what I was puffing on and whether or not it worked. I've vaped on planes, busses, in other people's cars, in gas stations (not while pumping, though) even during jury duty. Not once have I gotten a negative remark, or have been asked to stop or leave. I did, however get a few nasty looks at an airport in Dallas, but I chock that up to my experiences with prominent rudeness in the area.

To answer your question specifically, I have only vaped in California at Ft Irwin, and Barstow. Every day after work, I would walk into IN-N-OUT burger, and wait in line to order my daily Double-Double while vaping away. I haven't had any problems thusfar. :2c:

I forgot to add that I do, however, ask those around me if they have any objections to my vaping while in a small area such as a plane, elevator or crowded building.

You have to be careful in the plane. Many airlines have banned the use of e-cigs while in flight because "it could confuse the other passengers."

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
funny i used to feel the pull to vape with my fellow smokers. Now the smoke really bothers me and I cant stand the smell of being around them. I keep it low key as to not deal with nay-sayers but im vaping pretty much anywhere i want but I'm respectful of kids and crowded areas.

Respectfull of what? Your not smoking. Your not emitting anything harmfull. This is the perfect example of the mindset we need to change. If we as a community cant even hold our heads high, how can we expect the uninitiated to ever see things our way when it comes time to vote or decide on vaping bans. VAPING not smoking. We need to be educating the general public as to what it is we have and what were doing not hiding and acting like were doing something wrong.

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
wow you have just answered the subject of my next thread. thank you. i was worried that something in my vape would affect my tiel and keet since they are so sensitive. that is great news!

as for vaping in public. i havent really had the chance to test that here in illinois yet. i live in a very small area and im sure people would have lots to say about it. but since starting i really havent been anywhere long enough that i would want to vape while in. when i am in that circumstance i will vape and depending on the situation may or may not ask if it is ok. if asked to stop then i will explain what it is and why i am doing it and if they are persistance that i do not do it then i will stop. but i will be sure to educate on the matter no matter what

I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. I have vaped in restaurants and Barnes & Noble while waiting at the cafe for my beverage. I also vaped in a recreational facility. The only people who reacted were my friends and co-workers with whom I was there. I will say that I feel more comfortable vaping in Indiana. They are less progressive there lol.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
You have to be careful in the plane. Many airlines have banned the use of e-cigs while in flight because "it could confuse the other passengers."

I vape openly and proudly everywhere. I welcome inquiries. I wish someone handed me an e cig 5 yrs ago. I have become an unofficial spokesman for vaping. I carry ECF cards w me and am always talking to people about it. WTS, I used to fly a lot for work, and knowing how the atmosphere in a plane is, and how everyone is always on edge, especially after 9/11, I would go in the bathroom to vape. That is the only example I can imagine besides say a courtroom where I wouldn't vape proudly and openly.

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
I would never ask anyone if it was OK with them if I vaped, because that would open up the possibility that there was something possibly wrong with it. I doubt anyone asks people if they can use their nicorette inhalers either. I think the whole issue here is calling these things e-cigarettes, which confuses a lot of people. Oddly enough, it's not the public that are confused, it's the users, thinking that like smoking they are engaging in a potentially objectionable practice.

So if we look to ask permission or look to hide it, then we are suggesting that there is something wrong with the practice. Now people can do what they want but this does a disservice to the practice of vaping. People need to get a grip here and realize what they are actually doing and that's using a nicotine inhaler. There's nothing to suggest that this is something people need to be concerned about at all, unlike if we smoked.

So what happens is that rules get put up which equate vaping with smoking and although that is patently ridiculous, we don't speak up and play along with this ridiculous charade. In 15 months no one has ever objected to my vaping, I don't hide it, a few people have asked me what this is and when I tell them I always get the best wishes I've ever gotten. Way to go man, keep it up! Wow that thing got you off cigarettes, I want to quit too or I know someone who wants to, how do you get that thing?

The main thing is that we realize that this is not smoking and we need not treat it as if it was. If you do feel the need to ask, at least ask them the right question, such as do you mind if I use my stop smoking aid or nicotine inhaler, and when they look at you like you are an idiot, you can show them how it works and maybe convert some people :)

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The bottom line is that in any establishment, it is up to the owner to allow vaping or not to allow vaping.
Most establishments have not made any rules regarding this yet, but will have to some day.

There is a line we need to be thinking about, and everyone has their own decision regarding the crossing of that line.

The problem with openly vaping everywhere and never asking for permission is the possibility of confrontation.
And if there is too much confrontation, the owner of an establishment may very well decide to not allow vaping in order to avoid hassles.

However, I am 100% in favor of teaching the public about vaping, and understand you have to be vaping in order to do that.

If someone starts vaping without asking permission, and is told to stop, their arguments may fall on deaf ears.
At that point it may be too late to educate, as the decision has been made and people tend to want to defend their decisions.

If we take it to the point where the public looks at us as a bunch of jerks, then we will really have a problem.

On the other hand, if permission is asked for, then education can usually take place.
So I judge every situation by how I think it is likely to play out, with these considerations in mind.

As I said, sometimes I ask, sometimes I don't.
But usually, I ask.

And no matter what you do, or how you handle it, I hope you're never a jerk about it.

That last comment was NOT directed at anyone in particular.
:)

Last edited:

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
....The point I am trying to make, is that in the public eye I think it is important to be respectful of others opinions. I don't argue, or preach about the benefits. People these days like their soap boxes on a flatscreen, and not in person.

The problem I see with that is we are not operating in a neutral environment. Pubic opinion is crucial to our survival and the soap box is firmly in control of the anti-vaping special interests and zealots. The public is largely an empty vessel and their heads will be filled with whatever information or disinformation they hear first. If we stand around and allow the only information they get to come from the flat screen, we have already lost their support.

The FDA, BP, Heart Association, BT, Cancer Society, Smoke-free-Kids, and the entire universe of alphabet-soup "health advocacy organizations" have the soap box firmly in their control. They have the multi-million dollar PR budgets. They have almost total control of the media. They have vast communication infrastructures. They have the name recognition, credibility and megaphones to sway public opinion their way. All we have is us. Just us, one at a time. We are outgunned and out financed and, if we continue to be reticent and fearful of offending, we'll be outnumbered as well.

You may not see it. Many of us live in our own information bubbles an can't understand how anyone could think that vaping is dangerous or offensive. Outside of our bubble, the public at large is being propagandized day in and day out to associate e-cigs with cigarettes. They are being fed daily disinformation. In the absence of first hand experience and information to the contrary, they will believe what the flat screen tells them. For the most part, they won't go out of their way to seek unbiased and credible information. Most of them don't have enough interest for that. They will believe either their eyes, or the first credible sounding government agency, or health advocacy organization they hear. Once they form an opinion, it will be nearly impossible to convince them otherwise.

You may not think it's productive to "preach". But we are in a battle to win the public whether you wish to participate or not. We can win by educating the public the only way we can, in person, on the ground, one-on-one. Or we will lose by default against the well orchestrated and lavishly funded propaganda campaign of our opponents. This is as clear-cut a case of "you're either with us or agin' us" as there could possibly be.

Last edited:

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
The problem with openly vaping everywhere and never asking for permission is the possibility of confrontation.
If someone starts vaping without asking permission, and is told to stop, their arguments may fall on deaf ears.
At that point it may be too late to educate, as the decision has been made and people tend to want to defend their decisions.

That's at the heart of the disagreement. If we vape and someone voices their objection, and we cannot convince them of their error, then we certainly aren't going to persuade these fools by asking permission. On the contrary, our feeling that this may be an issue will only add credibility to their beliefs. I don't know what sort of confrontations people are having here but we obviously want to avoid those. However, if our attempts to educate fail, we have the option of backing down and giving in if we wish, with no harm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread