Reaction to e-cig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deeo

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Has anyone here ever seen anyone react to the ecig like this before?

My friend has COPD / emphysema and using a few different inhalers. When he took a drag off my ecig he choked right up and was coughing really bad that I thought he was going to go into a full out asthma attack. Does this sound like a reaction to maybe the Pg or Vg, or did he react that way because of his breathing diagnosis already?

He said he's willing to try the store ecig throw away ones as I believe there not a harsh but they have 0nic.

Oh one other thing is he lung inhales.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
I do that every morning and I don't have emphysema or asthma. It's the moisture from the liquid that does it to me. I'll get into a terrible coughing fit that can then lead to full blown panic attacks where I become debilitated for a while.

My solution is to simply take really tiny hits anytime that I've not been vaping for more than 4 hours, like when I get up in the morning, or when I drive home in the evening, both are times that I've not vaped for about 8 hours or so, so I take really tiny hits for the first several, then I'm good again, but for me it's the moisture interacting with my lungs, much like if I were to take a super hot shower in the morning and my bathroom fills up with an immense amount of steam, I start choking on it. Maybe that is your friends problem too.

I also cough a lot more on 50/50 PG/VG than I do at 15/85 PG/VG, so PG does affect some folks and hits them too hard in the throat and makes them cough as if they're just taken a huge hit of a Marlborough red when they're used to smoking camel lights.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Have him try mouth hits instead of full on lung hits. He doesn't need to pull it into his lungs to get the nic or the flavor. I can see where it would cause the problem you described since his lungs have already had so much damage done to them.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Has anyone here ever seen anyone react to the ecig like this before?

My friend has COPD / emphysema and using a few different inhalers. When he took a drag off my ecig he choked right up and was coughing really bad that I thought he was going to go into a full out asthma attack. Does this sound like a reaction to maybe the Pg or Vg, or did he react that way because of his breathing diagnosis already?

He said he's willing to try the store ecig throw away ones as I believe there not a harsh but they have 0nic.

Oh one other thing is he lung inhales.

I have asthma myself, and I have a very similar reaction to my Caterpillar RDA. I'm not a lung hitter, just MtL, but that one is just so airy, it's like I'm not getting anything, anything, anything... THEN OMG IT'S TOO MUCH!

I would suggest that lung hitting is really not the best idea for someone with any kind of breathing problem.

Also consider that cigarette tobacco contains a lot of a type of topical anesthetic, to make the smoke "smooth"... vapor has none of that.

Andria

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
I have asthma myself, and I have a very similar reaction to my Caterpillar RDA. I'm not a lung hitter, just MtL, but that one is just so airy, it's like I'm not getting anything, anything, anything... THEN OMG IT'S TOO MUCH!
Andria

My solution to the Caterpillar problem.
L1060296.JPG
And I use 4 of the 5 holes. It`ll nic you up, LOL.

:?)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
My solution to the Caterpillar problem.
View attachment 469641 And I use 4 of the 5 holes. It`ll nic you up, LOL.

:?)

No, I'm pretty sure that would kill me. At the very least it would land me in the hospital for a week of breathing treatments.

I'll stick with my lovely Achilles. :) Nice tight draw.

Andria

DeAnna2112

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2015
Indiana
With those types of lung problems i would not recommend your friend do lung hits...i have asthma and copd and let me tell you doing that about killed me when i tried it. I could not catch my breath and it felt like my lungs were literally on fire. My lungs hurt real bad for a couple days after that and i was scared and discouraged to vape anything for a few days. I did not care for ciga-likes either given i found them very harsh on my lungs and throat. I would recommend your friend experiment with a MTL pen style device initially and work out the pg/vg/nic ratios that work best for them and the sensitivities of their lungs before moving forward with anything else more intense...everyone is different in what works for them....just takes some patience and experimentation.

newvaper92

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2015
Jackson, Michigan
I have to say I've done the same thing... mainly higher pg liquids. Anything over 50/50 causes me to cough and sputter and burns my throat. I doubt I ever smoked enough to cause major damage to my lungs, but feel I'm sensitive to pg. I try to go for higher vg or max vg if possible. Even then, I'll have the odd hit go down wrong and I'll cough, but at least it doesn't burn my throat. Sounds like a sensitivity to pg to me.

sake1bs

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
nyc
The morning i decided to quit smoking was the morning i got my provari/nautilus setup, set it up and since i woke up without having a cig i hit it real hard, or at least hard enough to simulate the same throat hit i was getting from new ports. I coughed for about 15 seconds i hit it way too hard without getting used to it first with small hits like another posted recommended.. took another hit not as deep and still coughed some but after the third felt good tmy throat got used to it. Ive noticed even before vaping when i was smoking and would change over to the cigalikes i would cough at the first couple pulls, i think its just the crossover from going from one to the other but if after a couple pulls theres absolutely no improvement then maybe a 100% vg juice might work but make sure its 100 vg, a lot of juices use pg in the flavoring and nic so its not really 100% vg, so read up and make sure they also use a vg base for flavor and nic.

On a side note my dad could not get used to vaping he would violently cough on 50/50 mix so got him 100vg juice.. thats where i learned about some vg max juices contain some pg in flavoring and nic,.. found another juice from upnvape that is base vg nic and flavoring.. but still coughed from that.. finally found a all vg base juice from virgin vapors that sells a absolute line that does not use alcohol in the extraction process. "The Absolute line is also created using third party certified organic flavors. However, these flavors are extracted using a multi-stage, patented process that does not require alcohol. All of the Absolute e-liquid flavors are alcohol free. In addition, the flavors themselves are highly concentrated and very expensive to distill. "

tried it and the cough is gone he likes it its the first juice he can vape and not cough so pretty happy i finally found something he can use just gotta get him off the cigarettes now

Last edited:

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
I have a friend that smokes a pack and a half of malboro whites a day, but coughs his lungs out on pretty much any kind of drag. Like 10mg 3.6V on a tank = coughing fit for him.
On the other hand i have a friend that does not smoke (or lights one every full moon), and he can hit my 10mg dripper on 20W without coughing.
Guess everyone is different, nothing to be alarmed about.

Reactions: KattMamma

kkiet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2015
Milwaukee, Wi

I would suggest that lung hitting is really not the best idea for someone with any kind of breathing problem.

Also consider that cigarette tobacco contains a lot of a type of topical anesthetic, to make the smoke "smooth"... vapor has none of that.

Andria
I have to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread