Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
........I am familiar with Pipes& Cigars, Smokingpipes.com, and Lil' brown smoke shack. Does anyone out there have a favorite shop for selection, price, and service?........

I've shopped at P&C since they opened over 15 years ago and they were my favorite pipe tobacco supplier until last year. These days far too many tobaccos are on back-order and it can take weeks or months to get them in. Lately, I've had better luck shopping at Smokingpipes. Between P&C and Smokingpipes I usually find what I'm looking for and their prices are highly competitive. I've looked at other on-line tobacconists but most have a limited selection, don't sell much by the ounce (bulk) and are higher priced. I'm always looking for new sources and hopefully someone else will chime in.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
I've shopped at P&C since they opened over 15 years ago and they were my favorite pipe tobacco supplier until last year. These days far too many tobaccos are on back-order and it can take weeks or months to get them in. Lately, I've had better luck shopping at Smokingpipes. Between P&C and Smokingpipes I usually find what I'm looking for and their prices are highly competitive. I've looked at other on-line tobacconists but most have a limited selection, don't sell much by the ounce (bulk) and are higher priced. I'm always looking for new sources and hopefully someone else will chime in.

I have checked out the following on occasion and they seem to have a variety:

www.4noggins.com - Powered by Network Solutions.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
See how many you find on sale..........I saw one! :blink: ?????????

Home Specials Best Sellers Pipes Tobacco Cigars

The cooler weather is coming, and that can only mean one thing - it's time for P&C's End of Summer Sale! For the last few years, we've gathered together a gargantuan amount of your favorite pipe tobaccos, and we've cut the price on every single one. You're sure to find a few of your favorites in the mix. As fall arrives and winter approaches, the last thing you want is to run out of your cherished blends, so pick out your prized tobaccos and load up that shopping cart so you'll be good until the snow melts.

This offer will expire on September 14, 2017 @ 3PM EST
This offer cannot be combined with other offers.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Cornell & Diehl "Constellation" #411, an English blend of Burley, black Cavendish, Latakia and Virginia tobaccos. Extracted in hot Ethanol for 12 hours followed by a month long cold soak, the resulting extract when freshly mixed (10%) is moderately robust and tastes similar to "Pirate Kake" but with less Latakia. This allows flavor from the other tobaccos to chime in making "Constellation" a complex more balanced vape. After 6 weeks aging the flavor is outstanding, an enjoyable vape for those who like Latakia blends. While Latakia remains the star of this mix the Toasted Cavendish and Burley both are pleasantly apparent. Not for the faint of heart this is a smokey hard tobacco flavor with C&D's signature casing note ever present. Those who like Tsuge "Ryujin", C&D "Pirate Kake" or C&D "Mississippi Mud" should consider giving C&D's "Constellation" a try, you won't be disappointed. Those who don't care for Latakia's intense smokey flavor should steer clear of this one.

Personally, I like a 50/50 mix of "Constellation" and Dunhill "Elizabethan". This mix brings more Virginia tobacco into play and the Perique complements the Black Cavendish. :)

Last edited:

kbriggs

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
www.briggsoft.com

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Cornell & Diehl "Bow Legged Bear", an English blend of Burley, Latakia, Perique, Turkish and Virginia tobaccos. Extracted in hot Ethanol for 12 hours followed by a month long cold soak, the resulting extract when freshly mixed (10%) is quite robust and tastes something like Dunhill "Elizabethan" but definitely more complex. The Virginia, Burley and Turkish tobaccos are the stars of this mix but the Perique's earthy Plum notes are noticeable even when freshly mixed (shake-n-vape). The red and bright Virginia's are slightly hay like (grassy) with a touch of citrus but the Turkish and Burley temper it making the overall flavor smoother, deeper and darker. The Burley in this mix tastes more like unsweetened Black Cavendish (which I like) so I figure its been stoved. My three month long Latakia bomb binge must have desensitized my palate to its taste because I only detect a trace of Latakia here, very subtle. To my perhaps distorted sense of taste, this one presents itself like a full strength cigarette with a spicy kick. "Louisiana Red" on steroids. After a dripper test I can still taste it in the wick even after several loads of a different NET, it lingers. Anyone looking for an intense VaPer that comes across something like a strong, spicy cigarette might give "Bow Legged Bear" a try. A little too much Virginia and Turkish for my taste, but a powerhouse of flavor for those who like that flavor profile.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Cornell & Diehl "Bow Legged Bear", an English blend of Burley, Latakia, Perique, Turkish and Virginia tobaccos. Extracted in hot Ethanol for 12 hours followed by a month long cold soak, the resulting extract when freshly mixed (10%) is quite robust and tastes something like Dunhill "Elizabethan" but definitely more complex. The Virginia, Burley and Turkish tobaccos are the stars of this mix but the Perique's earthy Plum notes are noticeable even when freshly mixed (shake-n-vape). The red and bright Virginia's are slightly hay like (grassy) with a touch of citrus but the Turkish and Burley temper it making the overall flavor smoother, deeper and darker. The Burley in this mix tastes more like unsweetened Black Cavendish (which I like) so I figure its been stoved. My three month long Latakia bomb binge must have desensitized my palate to its taste because I only detect a trace of Latakia here, very subtle. To my perhaps distorted sense of taste, this one presents itself like a full strength cigarette with a spicy kick. "Louisiana Red" on steroids. After a dripper test I can still taste it in the wick even after several loads of a different NET, it lingers. Anyone looking for an intense VaPer that comes across something like a strong, spicy cigarette might give "Bow Legged Bear" a try. A little too much Virginia and Turkish for my taste, but a powerhouse of flavor for those who like that flavor profile.

For some reason yellow Virginia always tastes "grassy" to me.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
For some reason yellow Virginia always tastes "grassy" to me.

Taste is subjective and I can honestly say that I'm not a huge fan of the grassy, straw/hay flavor many Virginia tobaccos have. A little is ok, even desirable for making hybrids, but there's a limit. When freshly mixed, Dunhill "Elizabethan" is a little too grassy for me but with aging that flavor note diminishes enough that Elizabethan is on my favorites list. I extracted both "Bow Legged Bear" and "Constellation" for a friend and while I've had the opportunity to sample well aged Constellation I haven't for Bow Legged Bear. I'll keep 10ml of NET just for aging and will report back on its progress. If the grassy flavor note subsides it could become an outstanding addition to my collection of NETs.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Taste is subjective and I can honestly say that I'm not a huge fan of the grassy, straw/hay flavor many Virginia tobaccos have. A little is ok, even desirable for making hybrids, but there's a limit. When freshly mixed, Dunhill "Elizabethan" is a little too grassy for me but with aging that flavor note diminishes enough that Elizabethan is on my favorites list. I extracted both "Bow Legged Bear" and "Constellation" for a friend and while I've had the opportunity to sample well aged Constellation I haven't for Bow Legged Bear. I'll keep 10ml of NET just for aging and will report back on its progress. If the grassy flavor note subsides it could become an outstanding addition to my collection of NETs.

IMHO I think you will like "Bow Legged Bear."

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
I. LOVE. GRASSY. Diane sent a sample of their Centurion blend with my first order. It was very hay/grassy with a wonderful bite to it. I loved it and ordered it again. The grassy/hay was not there. Tried another bottle...same thing. I even asked her if she'd changed it. I haven't found anything close to that. Elizabethan doesn't taste grassy to me at all.

Taste buds are weird.

Reactions: Str8vision

Brad P

Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
S.F. bay area, Californa
...It was very hay/grassy with a wonderful bite to it. I loved it.....
I got a very grassy flavor from some Organic American flu cured that I picked up from Whole Leaf tobacco a few years ago. The flavor settled down a little with enough time. Not a lot of dimention to it as a stand alone tobaccco though.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
......Taste buds are weird.

:lol: No greater truth has ever been spoken! :) That's why I added the caveat concerning my current sense of taste, the heavy Latakia NETs I've been enjoying the last few months have my taste buds all jacked up. I know for a fact my ability to taste Latakia has seriously diminished, I'm desensitized to its smokey, pungent flavor. For me, Bow Legged Bear has a distinct and lingering grassy flavor note but the Latakia (which I've become highly desensitized to) likely would mask that taste for anyone else.

For a grassy flavor, Red and bright Virginia tobaccos should be your cup-o-tea.

...Diane sent a sample of their Centurion blend with my first order. It was very hay/grassy with a wonderful bite to it. I loved it and ordered it again. The grassy/hay was not there....

Diane and MVJ, I was an early admirer and respected her work/products, a class act. Of all the old school vendors that have closed their doors MVJ's demise bothered me the most.

Diane was fairly consistent in naming her NETs after the tobacco(s) they were made from. Concerning Centurion, here's an old but interesting post; My Vape Juice - Centurion Pipe Tobacco If MVJs Centurion was made from pipe tobacco it was likely Altadis Z-85 "Centurion" Pipe Tobacco. Z-85 Centurion is a golden Burley, bright Virginia(s), and Black Cavendish blend. Altadis and Sutliff tobacco companies are somehow affiliated.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
:lol: No greater truth has ever been spoken! :) That's why I added the caveat concerning my current sense of taste, the heavy Latakia NETs I've been enjoying the last few months have my taste buds all jacked up. I know for a fact my ability to taste Latakia has seriously diminished, I'm desensitized to its smokey, pungent flavor. For me, Bow Legged Bear has a distinct and lingering grassy flavor note but the Latakia (which I've become highly desensitized to) likely would mask that taste for anyone else.

For a grassy flavor, Red and bright Virginia tobaccos should be your cup-o-tea.

Diane and MVJ, I was an early admirer and respected her work/products, a class act. Of all the old school vendors that have closed their doors MVJ's demise bothered me the most.

Diane was fairly consistent in naming her NETs after the tobacco(s) they were made from. Concerning Centurion, here's an old but interesting post; My Vape Juice - Centurion Pipe Tobacco If MVJs Centurion was made from pipe tobacco it was likely Altadis Z-85 "Centurion" Pipe Tobacco. Z-85 Centurion is a golden Burley, bright Virginia(s), and Black Cavendish blend. Altadis and Sutliff tobacco companies are somehow affiliated.

Diane, along with Vash, were my introduction to NETs. Her extracts helped my form the basis of what I liked. And her extracts were the cleanest.

The only burley I've extracted is Save - Solani Aged Burley Flake No 656 - Pipes and Cigars and I've got some Virginias and Black Cavendish upcoming that I can experiment with.

Thank you so much for the ino

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
  • Deleted by lamarrk
  • Reason: Off topic.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
  • Deleted by lamarrk
  • Reason: Reference to a deleted off-topic post.

PeterRamish

Account closed on request
Jun 17, 2017
California, USA
I apologize if I posted this in the wrong thread if so please direct me to the correct thread .

Has anyone tried using ultrasonic transducers as part of the protocol in cold PG net extractions ? Or ultrasonics + a 12 hour 130°F heat starting bump then an extended cold maceration ?

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
I apologize if I posted this in the wrong thread

Welcome to just one of many threads concerning the NET experience @PeterRamish.

Meh... lots of things are discussed in this thread, including how to macerate your favorite/best tobacco.

I don't ever remember anyone noting a heat assist ultrasonic start to a maceration. Sounds like an interesting experiment; might have to give that a try.

Oh boy... another piece of equipment to add to my NET making arsenal. :cool:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
........Has anyone tried using ultrasonic transducers as part of the protocol in cold PG net extractions ? Or ultrasonics + a 12 hour 130°F heat starting bump then an extended cold maceration ?

Use of an ultrasonic cleaner (packaged transducer) has been discussed a number of times over the years for everything from extracting flavor to speed steeping mixed NETs and even reducing (concentrating) ethanol based extracts. Few people ever provided feedback on the results of their experiments which in of itself might indicate a lack of notable/favorable results. Here's a link to one post that might interest you; https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/posts/15638921/

I do think cyclic use of an ultrasonic transducer would expedite the extraction process on hot, cold and mixed temperature extractions. Ultrasonic "cycles" should help work solvent through the tobacco itself which is how flavor is extracted. No doubt there would be more particulate debris in the extract (a topic of concern raised in discussions) but filtering should easily remedy this. I've been told ultrasonic transducers rated above 120w actually generate heat in liquids (molecular friction?), thought that was interesting and perhaps even useful (or problematic) depending on one's goals.

PeterRamish

Account closed on request
Jun 17, 2017
California, USA
No doubt there would be more particulate debris in the extract (a topic of concern raised in discussions)

I have information on this, remove of debris, that I would like to share with you and others on the thread,

Last edited:

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Reactions: Str8vision
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread