Any interest in determining nicotine--by DVAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVap

Nicotiana Alchemia
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
I see,what do you feel is any benefit to having PG in it, would it reduce the production of acrolenin(spelling?) if the atty passed the point of overheating the VG it would be reduced since it is making PG vapor at the same time?
I might not understand more than about 20% of what you folks are talking about, but the 20% I do understand is quite interesting, I read every post:)
Do you have any recommendations for long term storage of flavorless eliquid? I've read of freezing it, refrigerating it(which for most home users is the same anyways, since it won't freeze at the temperatures we can provide) Not freezing it because freezing it will wreck it, adding dessicants to the storage area, not adding dessicants to the storage area etc.
I also read in one thread that citric acid was a good additive for long term storage, but in this thread it was recommended against.
:confused:
Would PG or VG be better for unflavored liquid for long term storage?, I could go either way and mix down to 15mg at a 75/25 split, while keeping fresh base liquid around.
With the discussion of overheating VG, do you think that the thread about battery voltage would have any influence on the matter, with KR808 batteries providing even power and 510 batteries being pulsed?

EDIT: Wanted also to ask, with eliquid being basic instead of acidic, would more nicotine be absorbed through mucus membranes in mouth/nose, or in the lungs? I think that was answered, but I can't find it and wanted to verify. Trying to figure out if I can still get nicotine with a new vaping pattern(I was a suck a mouthful of smoke than inhale mixing with cool air smoker) I'm wondering, if I can get the same effect by sucking a mouthful of smoke and either blowing it out my nose or mouth, then taking a deep breath. I'm mimicking my smoking pattern but without getting much vapor in my lungs.

PG seems to have better germicidal properties than VG, as for acrolein, it's a potential with VG, but so far with vaping, the anecdotal evidence seems to put it down to more a theoretical problem than actual.

For flavorless liquids, cool and dark is probably enough. A touch of citric acid might help, it might not. My only objection to citric acid is from it's breakdown at high temperature, again more a theoretical than actually observed problem.

VG or PG as a storage base? I dunno, unless someone else knows a compelling reason for one or the other, I'd call it a pick'em.

As far as absorption, that's pretty much a current hot topic, and there are a lot of principles that can be applied to make educated guesses about what's going on... but I'm hesitant anymore to try to over-apply these principles since it's a fairly complex system. I do firmly believe that since nicotine users become unconsciously "expert" at regulating their nicotine uptake (self-titration), that aware of it or not, we figure out what works for us.

Rocketfish

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Vancouver
As far as absorption, that's pretty much a current hot topic, and there are a lot of principles that can be applied to make educated guesses about what's going on... but I'm hesitant anymore to try to over-apply these principles since it's a fairly complex system. I do firmly believe that since nicotine users become unconsciously "expert" at regulating their nicotine uptake (self-titration), that aware of it or not, we figure out what works for us.

Oh ok, I thought the ph relationship to absorbtion was well documented. I find smoking the ecig more like a cigar or pipe seems to get most of the nicotine I need without getting much in my lungs, I was curious if having a different ph would make that effect stronger or weaker.

Thanks for all the info.

This seems like a relevant thread to ask the following question, although I feel a little stupid for asking it since it seems like a basic math problem. I ordered a 60ml bottle of 100 mg/ml flavorless liquid. I received a 60ml bottle of liquid at 10% w/v nicotine strength. The bottle does not state the mg/ml nic strength. What is the w/v to mg/ml formula to determine the mg/ml strength? Do the given figures indeed make it 100mg/ml liquid?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I have 100 mg/ml because there is a strike-through on 10% W/V , where the other choices are 3.6%, 4.8%, and 6.0% W/V

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I understand the math now. I'm just making 3ml samples for now, so I am measuring by drops. So my first DIY mix was 12 drops of 100 mg nic liquid, 36 drops of 50/50 PG/VG and 12 drops of Lorann watermelon flavoring. It is absolutely delicious! And, at 20mg/ml, I can spend some time vaping on my new creation without getting pounded by nicotine. Somewhere between 18-20 mg/ml is my new sweet spot.

I didn't read this whole thread so if this has already been stated - Sorry

I know I'm getting nic because when I first started vaping I quit smoking all together, but I was uneasy about starting with a high mg liquid so I got the weakest mg I could find and it gave me withdraw headaches. As soon as I got the high nic liquid I was fine. I've been fine ever since. I know it's not very scientific, but I know my body and I know I'm getting my nic.......Anyway that's just my 2cents

reverendg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2010
washington USA
www.themadvaper.com
This seems like a relevant thread to ask the following question, although I feel a little stupid for asking it since it seems like a basic math problem. I ordered a 60ml bottle of 100 mg/ml flavorless liquid. I received a 60ml bottle of liquid at 10% w/v nicotine strength. The bottle does not state the mg/ml nic strength. What is the w/v to mg/ml formula to determine the mg/ml strength? Do the given figures indeed make it 100mg/ml liquid?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I have 100 mg/ml because there is a strike-through on 10% W/V , where the other choices are 3.6%, 4.8%, and 6.0% W/V
I haven't read this whole thread either (although I would like to wrap my head aound it all sometime),but I have been trying to wrap my head around this question all day long. I want to start making my own juice and plan on buying in bulk and so I was looking at scubatdan's ejuice calculator and this very question came to mind "is there an industry standard of w/v that the calculator is based on? I have a 500 ml. bottle of 100mg. nic juice in my shopping cart, but before I finalized the order I had to know how the calculator could calculate reduction of nic%? without knowing that how could anything calculate. So I made a hypothesis that 1ml. of 100mg. nic juice would be 100 mg. and I base this hypothesis on the fact that there has to be some sort of industry standard of actual nic in a suspension of some sort vg/pg in order to make the calculations. But now that I hear bill77094 state that there are several w/v listed, though his is checked off at 10% ,my head is really spinning. Am I thinking straight? or do I need to take my glasses off and put my head on a pillow ? :(:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: I mean the only place on the calculator that asks this volume question is at the bottom on a different calc. oi vei help!!!!

Am I on the right track here?

voltaire

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2009
Florida
I haven't read this whole thread either (although I would like to wrap my head aound it all sometime),but I have been trying to wrap my head around this question all day long. I want to start making my own juice and plan on buying in bulk and so I was looking at scubatdan's ejuice calculator and this very question came to mind "is there an industry standard of w/v that the calculator is based on? I have a 500 ml. bottle of 100mg. nic juice in my shopping cart, but before I finalized the order I had to know how the calculator could calculate reduction of nic%? without knowing that how could anything calculate. So I made a hypothesis that 1ml. of 100mg. nic juice would be 100 mg. and I base this hypothesis on the fact that there has to be some sort of industry standard of actual nic in a suspension of some sort vg/pg in order to make the calculations. But now that I hear bill77094 state that there are several w/v listed, though his is checked off at 10% ,my head is really spinning. Am I thinking straight? or do I need to take my glasses off and put my head on a pillow ? :(:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: I mean the only place on the calculator that asks this volume question is at the bottom on a different calc. oi vei help!!!!

Am I on the right track here?

Yes, you're on the right track. 1ml of 100mg nic liquid would contain 100mg of nic. Whenever you see XXmg they really mean XXmg/ml, in other words XXmg PER milliliter. The "per milliliter" is assumed because stating the milligrams without relating it to a standard volume wouldn't make much sense.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My total lack of entrepreneurial spirit assures that's not likely to happen. :nah:

As a mental exercise, such a kit would contain a ten mL graduated vial with a cap to allow shaking, a 50 mL bottle of distilled water (with a dropped top), a 50 mL bottle of 0.1N acid (also with a dropper top), and a 30 mL bottle of the bromothymol blue solution (also with a dropper top).

The instructions would read:

1. add e-liquid to the 1 mL mark.
2. add 2 drops BTB solution.
3. add distilled water to the 3 mL mark, cap and shake gently.
4. add acid drop-wise with swirling to mix.
5. watch the color, it will go from blue, to green, to pale green, to yellow green, to yellow.
6. compare the volume of acid to your handy reference card for nicotine content.

I have tried the nic test but I have a hard time distinguishing when the liquid turns from yellow green to actual yellow.
Too bad there wasn't a color chart to match up with like they have in a pool test kit.

I have tried the nic test but I have a hard time distinguishing when the liquid turns from yellow green to actual yellow.
Too bad there wasn't a color chart to match up with like they have in a pool test kit.

Good light (daylight) is important in this regard, and a trial run or two also - to get familar with the difference between just-off pure yellow and actual pure yellow.

Even so, it won;t be out by too much (and on the lower nic. mg side).

Last edited:

TamJeff

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2012
United States

I read a good few pages of this thread. It's good to see when someone gets to exercise their passion, and being fortunate enough to also be able to earn a living at it. That's typically the people that are best at what they do, at least from my experience. A vicarious fascination, perhaps.

But, as per your quote that I have selected that I saw early on in this thread as well, is the same conclusion that made me jump ahead to the last page, and 2nd to the last in that order. Although, I am hoping that we are actually getting less nicotine than we need and that vaping indeed contains a placebo effect (at least from the habitual aspect) that works well enough from keeping it from becoming unhealthy, or more unhealthy, whatever the case eventually comes out to be.

Good thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread