are the manufactuers using sub par parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
let e-juice in and coated the batteries as well I used it until the board just stopped working. I wonder why.

I don't care that much about the 510 pin, I doubt any of them are completely leak proof under all circumstances, and when the topper is actually affixed to the 510 pin, I think there can be a certain amount of leakage. The statement above is what I take issue with, since "I used it until the board just stopped working," is never a good thing. It's also possible the OP was screwing on his tanks too hard, causing problems with the pin, etc., given that this happened to two mods in a row, I'm either going to blame the tank (which if the tank is leaking, the user needs to do something about) or User Error here, where the tank wasn't appropriately affixed to the mod or something, in which case anything can leak.

The "I wonder why?" part is what gets me. Are you very new to Ecigs, Keyman? Because if I was voluntarily allowing waterfalls of juice into my mod, my question would be "Why is this sucker still working?" Not, "I wonder why." I don't think it's the mod, QC, or anything other than User Error, which is kind of nice, as it can be fixed. Maybe we should focus on that, now, I'm guessing.

Keyman, what tank are you using, did it always leak, what did you try to get it to stop leaking, what coils are in it, what type of ejuice do you use, etc. Just lay it all out there, I'm sure we'll all learn some things, hopefully helping you get to a better setup for you in the process!!!! :)

Anna

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
For vaping I use nothing
I think you are right there. I have noticed that my higher quality mods are CE certed which is the European equivalent. Those mods btw do hold up well.
CE is not a certification, it is just sign that a manufacturer declare its voluntary compliance with CE requirements. All of my cheap Chinese mods in rotation have CE engraved on them.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I use exclusively cheap Chinese mods (because of my hobby - cheap vaping).
No mod ever had failed. The oldest mod in rotation is a Chinese clone of Chinese iStick 30 (almost 3 years old, $24). Still running strong.
I guess regardless, I see this as tangential. My point was to use something other than guberment.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
I think you are right there. I have noticed that my higher quality mods are CE certed which is the European equivalent. Those mods btw do hold up well.

Take care the mark you're seeing is "Conformité Européenne" and not "China Export". How these logos are allowed to be differentiated by minor kerning is beyond me.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
UL has already published standards but zero manufacturers have submitted any devices for testing that I know of.
Of course. Chinese manufacturers can’t be sued therefore there is no reason to bother with UL whose main job is to certify products against lawsuits

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Just me,
Seems it has more to do with using poor quality delivery devices that leak into/through the 510 connection.
That and part of routine maintenance is to ensure the 510 connection stays clean & dry.
Threading clean & shiny any moisture dried, if you use a leaky delivery device you may have to dry the goop several times per day.

90VG

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2016
5000' in Nevada
The Smok Alien was junk in my opinion. Not sure about his other device, but generally I find that they all leak on the batteries when you are actively doing something.

Although my junker kanger subvod, I have to admit it has not leaked and it takes the most abuse. It goes on the bike rides, hangs out in my construction belt. It's pretty cool really, aside from just being a regulated mech mod - lol.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
The iphone is a cheap POS. the new iphone8 uses recylced and old tech. "reveolutionary OLED and wireless charging". Hello Apple, welcome to 2015.

Edit: I do agree with you to a certain extent.
I don’t disagree, and I’m typing on a 7+ atm. Apple stuff remains much safer from malware though. In particular everything google makes is spyware. That’s why it’s free. With google You’re not the customer, you’re the product. Windows 10 also has built in spyware which is why I use OS8 and refuse to upgrade.
I prefer to be the customer.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm not going to bash Smok when he had two devices and both of them leaked, and he allowed the leaking to continue. I'm still quite amazed that this has led to "discussion of cheap Chinese stuff," instead of trying to help the OP figure out what is going on/what he is doing to cause, or at the very least, not address the issue. I think we can all agree no e-cig is perfect (oh, except for a Provari with a Kabuki on top) but given that we know that we should be helping educate this dude in taking care of his equipment, if he ever returns.

If so, OP, can you give more information about the leaking, when it happened, what you've done in the past to address it, that would be really helpful, honestly. Let's not all pile on the Bad Mod wagon, though it is almost appropriate (maybe after Halloween) to watch Bad Santa.

OP, I want to help you out, if it's at all possible. We need more information.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
  • Deleted by lamarrk
  • Reason: OFF TOPIC

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
  • Deleted by lamarrk
  • Reason: OFF TOPIC

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Billy tightens his tanks to just snug and vapes happily ever after.

Bobby does a two handed super torque that destroys the insulator in the mods 510 connection. The connection soon starts to leak and e-liquid gets on the batteries and electronics.

Manufacturers assume Billy is buying their products.

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    • Deleted by lamarrk
    • Reason: Quoting / responding to deleted post.

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
    May 8, 2014
    Ypsilanti mi
    Amen! Need say no more in that regard.

Sub par? I bought a Segeli (ms i'm sure) 213 knowing full well it would not do temp control as advertised and that it would not achieve the wattage it claimed. But, I got it for $30.00. The case is solid. It gets two battery lifespan and puts out more power than I use. Were I an idealist I would probably boycott Segeli per their marketing deception because that is the only way to "speak out" that will be heard. But, how many folks would? I've excepted the industry for what it is. I do a lot of research before buying. Reviews, use google "problems with xxxxx" etc. Even then I get stung on occasion. Best I know to do.
    I've got a 213, too. I knew the issues going in, but it's been a great device for the way I vape.

MrStik

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 6, 2013
    SoCal
    I don’t disagree, and I’m typing on a 7+ atm. Apple stuff remains much safer from malware though. In particular everything google makes is spyware. That’s why it’s free. With google You’re not the customer, you’re the product. Windows 10 also has built in spyware which is why I use OS8 and refuse to upgrade.
    I prefer to be the customer.

I am not going to deny that Apple makes decent products. It is their snobby attitude about everything that is a huge turn off. Let me ask this.. Were you using the iphone when they introduced Apple Maps? Apple is no different from Google or MS or any other company that uses your data for their own gain. Apple maps has gotten much better, but do you know why? It is because it too is a spyware program that collects your data and in turn uses it to try to give you a better experience. That information that is being fed into that machine by millions of users have made that software very usable. The exact same way as Google Maps.

Back to their high horse. They release already tried and true features and totes it as the greatest achievement they have ever come up with while whining when other developers add similar features.. And they sell it to their customers as well. They have stopped innovating since the iphone 4s. Ever since then, they have been looking at tail lights of Google and Samsung. OLED has been a solid part of the industry since the first Samsing Galaxies were released, but nearly a decade later and Apple is showing it off as innovative. Wireless charging as well as fast wireless charging has been well established for the past 2 and a half years, but it is pretty revolutionary on the new iphone. Most iphone users will keep drinking that kool aid and be happy with it.

To be back on topic of the post, but we get what we pay for. Mods are cheap, and there has to be a way to get it that cheap. Cheaper material resulting in failing parts, or cheaper labor, which will also result in failing parts. Never been a fan of the Provari, but that is a well crafted mod and sucks that they are gone. Can you imagine if they put out a high powered regulated mod with today's tech? A Provari DNA in production would truly be nice.

Reactions: RainSong

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    Oh I hope no one (glances over at OlderNDirt) took my post as SMOK bashing.

Naw! I am not on a campaign to search the board for any and all negative comments about Smok. I've even found some complaints to be legitimate product defect! :)p in lieu of a sarcasm moji) To explain as it relates to this topic and not specific to Smok:

OP is having problems with a couple mods after leaking juice down into the 510. Why is that reason to proclaim either mod, or all products made by its company bad or having poor QC? Some will say "we read so many complaints", but how many of those complaints relate to abuse, user error, or combining the product with inappropriate gear? It is also my belief that the number of legitimate complaints should be measured against total sold and in use, something that none of us are made aware of.

We want to complain about electronics that don't last, but we are the ones demanding the lowest prices. These boards are filled with posts about buying online rather then B&M's to save money and then to buy overseas to save even more. And then we are surprised that manufacturers recognize what we demand and do whatever they can to satisfy those demands? If a US manufacturer came up with a mod with a 1 year full replacement warranty for $300+, what percentage of vapers would buy it?

Once again I must say, I must be the luckiest vaper in the world! Every mod and tank I have purchased over the past 3 years is still in working order (knocks on wood!). But I look at it this way. I was spending over $50 a week to smoke and at the end of that week, I had nothing to show for it but an ashtray full of butts and ashes. We all run a risk with any brand of getting a dud and that's not limited to vape gear. Having shinyitis and buying a lot of gear increases those odds. Even then, at the cost of around $50 a mod, I think I have a better chance of it still working at the end of the week compared to what I had left smoking.

Walee

ECF Veteran
    Oct 6, 2017
    Naw! I am not on a campaign to search the board for any and all negative comments about Smok. I've even found some complaints to be legitimate product defect! :)p in lieu of a sarcasm moji) To explain as it relates to this topic and not specific to Smok:

OP is having problems with a couple mods after leaking juice down into the 510. Why is that reason to proclaim either mod, or all products made by its company bad or having poor QC? Some will say "we read so many complaints", but how many of those complaints relate to abuse, user error, or combining the product with inappropriate gear? It is also my belief that the number of legitimate complaints should be measured against total sold and in use, something that none of us are made aware of.

We want to complain about electronics that don't last, but we are the ones demanding the lowest prices. These boards are filled with posts about buying online rather then B&M's to save money and then to buy overseas to save even more. And then we are surprised that manufacturers recognize what we demand and do whatever they can to satisfy those demands? If a US manufacturer came up with a mod with a 1 year full replacement warranty for $300+, what percentage of vapers would buy it?

Once again I must say, I must be the luckiest vaper in the world! Every mod and tank I have purchased over the past 3 years is still in working order (knocks on wood!). But I look at it this way. I was spending over $50 a week to smoke and at the end of that week, I had nothing to show for it but an ashtray full of butts and ashes. We all run a risk with any brand of getting a dud and that's not limited to vape gear. Having shinyitis and buying a lot of gear increases those odds. Even then, at the cost of around $50 a mod, I think I have a better chance of it still working at the end of the week compared to what I had left smoking.

Wow, I have to figure out how to use this forum. I just wanted to reply not quote everything. Anyway, I can't agree more. I didn't start this to save money. At first I just wanted to spend more time at the computer without running outside to smoke. Next thing I knew I was only vaping. The benefits are innumerable. I still have fleece jackets with burn holes in them to remind me. I can see out of my windshield. I don't drive a mobile ashtray. I can breath, taste, and smell. And who knows. Maybe someday I'll get tired of new gear and save money too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread