Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Got mine today.
Threads are fine, o-rings are fine. Glass seems fragile. A bit too open a draw on the smallest hole, but we'll see after I'm done building it. Doing it now.
Coiling it is super-easy. But, stumbled on the first downer - no connection on a P3 Ti. Barely connects on the black P3. rDNA40V2 connects fine.
Loosening the screw is not possible, as it holds it all together. Dunno, is it the K5, or is it my particular P3 Ti.
Ok, back to building.

R
Good luck. Report back.

JoeBattams

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2012
Northampton- UK
I don't know much about airflow dynamics myself, although, being a mechanic, I can say this:
A narrower drip tip can't produce a more restricted draw. Feeling like it does is a placebo effect. Your mind wants it to be tighter, so it feels tighter. Which is fine. If it feels tighter, then keep using that drip tip.

The reason it can't be, is that the amount of INTAKE hasn't been changed.
In terms of a car/engine, the drip tip is the exhaust pipe.
Unless you restrict the source of air intake, the restriction of the exhaust can't reduce the amount of air taken in. All it can do is slow down how fast it goes out.
The hot rods with loud exhaust pipes? They've got wide open pipes, which gets the exhaust out of the engine in a hurry, thus more sound. But the amount of air being fed into and through the engine has not, and cannot change, unless the intake itself is changed.

Another way to look at it is:
A balloon filled with water. Poke it with a needle, and a tiny stream shoots out. The balloon will drain slowly.
Slash the ballon with a knife, and the water will drain very quickly.
Either way, the same amount of water will come out of the balloon, but at different speeds.

Or we could use crowd control:
A crowded theater, with every seat full.
They all entered through the front, which has multiple sets of double doors.
Smoke alarm goes off, and only one rear exit door opens. The crowd takes a long time to get out, because the one door is small.

Same theater, same head count, smoke alarm goes off, this time three rear exit doors open.
Crowd exits three times faster.

The doors are the drip tips. They can't change how many people came in, or how many people are leaving. They can only control how fast they leave.
The people are the air. The same amount of air was in play for both scenarios.

-----
But again, I've never studied aerodynamics, airflow pattern dynamics, and I'm not 100% sure if those are even the same thing or not! Hahahaha!
Just some musings from a wrench-turnin' redneck!
Haha, thanks for your analogies!- I think you're right and the drip tip is a bit of a placebo, but then again placebo tablets can cure!- The mind is a wonderful thing [emoji6] [emoji6]

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Setting one (the most restrictive) seems about the same as my K4 set close to full open. The other settings as way too airy for me. Very happy on the first air setting at 1.4 ohms and 16w. YMMV.
Are you using the stock tip or do you have your own?

Reactions: AstroTurf

Shoey5

Dec 21, 2009
Toronto
[QUOTE="no connection on a P3 Ti. Barely connects on the black P3.R[/QUOTE]

I've seen it working on a P3 Ti with no issues. You could try loosening the screw just a tad...it will still be tight next time your coiling.

Just a thought but one thing that's happened to me the odd time on several mods (including P3) with floating center pins is that some kind of gunk makes it a little stuck so it's not fully extended. This resulted in connection problems. Cleaning the center pin (rotating around edges while pushing slightly) with a Q-Tip saturated with Isopropyl Alcohol fixed it for me.

VictorC

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Ontario
SteamTuners just released a new tank option for K5:

c60d4f_IMG_3403.JPG

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
I don't know much about airflow dynamics myself, although, being a mechanic, I can say this:
A narrower drip tip can't produce a more restricted draw. Feeling like it does is a placebo effect. Your mind wants it to be tighter, so it feels tighter. Which is fine. If it feels tighter, then keep using that drip tip.

The reason it can't be, is that the amount of INTAKE hasn't been changed.
In terms of a car/engine, the drip tip is the exhaust pipe.
Unless you restrict the source of air intake, the restriction of the exhaust can't reduce the amount of air taken in. All it can do is slow down how fast it goes out.
The hot rods with loud exhaust pipes? They've got wide open pipes, which gets the exhaust out of the engine in a hurry, thus more sound. But the amount of air being fed into and through the engine has not, and cannot change, unless the intake itself is changed.

Another way to look at it is:
A balloon filled with water. Poke it with a needle, and a tiny stream shoots out. The balloon will drain slowly.
Slash the ballon with a knife, and the water will drain very quickly.
Either way, the same amount of water will come out of the balloon, but at different speeds.

Or we could use crowd control:
A crowded theater, with every seat full.
They all entered through the front, which has multiple sets of double doors.
Smoke alarm goes off, and only one rear exit door opens. The crowd takes a long time to get out, because the one door is small.

Same theater, same head count, smoke alarm goes off, this time three rear exit doors open.
Crowd exits three times faster.

The doors are the drip tips. They can't change how many people came in, or how many people are leaving. They can only control how fast they leave.
The people are the air. The same amount of air was in play for both scenarios.

-----
But again, I've never studied aerodynamics, airflow pattern dynamics, and I'm not 100% sure if those are even the same thing or not! Hahahaha!
Just some musings from a wrench-turnin' redneck!
I agree. Never noticed a difference with smaller bore tips.

Btw - I'm now with you on the KF5. I'm getting reduced vapor and, I just don't know. It started off well. I tried ripping the tape off for the last few hrs too.

Looking forward to the SvoëMesto solution. Hoping it's a revised center pin with a reduced inner diameter.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
I agree. Never noticed a difference with smaller bore tips.

Btw - I'm now with you on the KF5. I'm getting reduced vapor and, I just don't know. It started off well. I tried ripping the tape off for the last few hrs too.

Looking forward to the SvoëMesto solution. Hoping it's a revised center pin with a reduced inner diameter.

Just use your Mini V3 center pin and block...

Reactions: Bronze

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
Just use your Mini V3 center pin and block...
I thought of that. But I think the whole pin is wider in the KF5. I didn't look and compare side by side, but I would think it's gotta be? If that's the case then we're all stressing for nothing. Lol. Talk about inexpensive. :)

Unrelated - I'm hoping Steam (not Steak haha) comes out with their standard poly replacement for the glass section as well. I'd rather not place two orders and know I'll be getting that if/when they release.

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
Just looked at both and seems to me that the mini v3 pim would almost fit inside the opening in the KF5 pin. Lol. Looking under my builds and cotton, but the difference seems that dramatic.

Ahh - just used my v3 first time all day. Dang does that taste good and is satisfying!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Just looked at both and seems to me that the mini v3 pim would almost fit inside the opening in the KF5 pin. Lol. Looking under my builds and cotton, but the difference seems that dramatic.

Ahh - just used my v3 first time all day. Dang does that taste good and is satisfying!

I've appreciated every toot off my KM3 since I got it.

stanleybb50

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Pittsburgh
I've appreciated every toot off my KM3 since I got it.
Agreed! I won't be happy until I personally produce the same results with my KF5.

I can come right out and say that despite this start with the KF5, I still like it better than my KF4. Even if SvoëMesto didn't come out and say they were going to have a solution for MTL. Lol. That KF4 and me did not get along from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread