Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Since we are on the issue of leaking, before I had the MTL kit I didn't face any issues. But after using the MTL kit mine leaked quite significantly.

After using the method shared by angah83 it is now leak free again. Thanks for the insight and I hope this piece of information helps other users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That MTL sleeve has a lip on it so it is more susceptible to the wick touching and acting as a conduit for juice to go down the airway.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Since we are on the issue of leaking, before I had the MTL kit I didn't face any issues. But after using the MTL kit mine leaked quite significantly.

After using the method shared by angah83 it is now leak free again. Thanks for the insight and I hope this piece of information helps other users.

I, for one, am grateful for the information :D ;)

ufaiq

Aug 6, 2015
That MTL sleeve has a lip on it so it is more susceptible to the wick touching and acting as a conduit for juice to go down the airway.

Yes Bronze, you are absolutely right about the lip causing the leak.

I, for one, am grateful for the information :D ;)

I'm happy to know you find it useful. Happy vaping

MKBarca

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2014
Northern Ireland
I got the Steam Tuners 'nano kit' for the V5. Can any of your scientific brains work this one out?

With my usual set up, (28guage, 8 wraps, 1.3ohms) everything works great with the original K5. The moment I swap the tank and put the base onto the steam tuners kit, everything leaks from the air holes. Baffled. I've replaced all o rings, checked and double checked everything. Really irritating because the nano kit cost almost £50 and I can't figure out the issue.

Why would it work in the original, but the exact same base not work in the nano? Any advice would be wonderful.

Reactions: AstroTurf

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I got the Steam Tuners 'nano kit' for the V5. Can any of your scientific brains work this one out?

With my usual set up, (28guage, 8 wraps, 1.3ohms) everything works great with the original K5. The moment I swap the tank and put the base onto the steam tuners kit, everything leaks from the air holes. Baffled. I've replaced all o rings, checked and double checked everything. Really irritating because the nano kit cost almost £50 and I can't figure out the issue.

Why would it work in the original, but the exact same base not work in the nano? Any advice would be wonderful.

It's possible there are cracked threads in the tank section.

I would reach out to Steam Tuners...
They are a great company and will take care of you in a heartbeat.
They'll likely send you a replacement, as well as give you advice on how to stop the issue.
In my experience, the advice works, and I ended up with spare tank! Not the same one you're using though.

MKBarca

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2014
Northern Ireland
It's possible there are cracked threads in the tank section.

I would reach out to Steam Tuners...
They are a great company and will take care of you in a heartbeat.
They'll likely send you a replacement, as well as give you advice on how to stop the issue.
In my experience, the advice works, and I ended up with spare tank! Not the same one you're using though.
They got back to me, with a theory. And it makes sense. The juice control isn't being fully closed before filling. Only problem is, when I tighten it (to close it) it won't turn anymore. Ah well, back to my K4, aka mr reliable until I can get this sorted out.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
They got back to me, with a theory. And it makes sense. The juice control isn't being fully closed before filling. Only problem is, when I tighten it (to close it) it won't turn anymore. Ah well, back to my K4, aka mr reliable until I can get this sorted out.

I've used a little unscented Chapstick/lip balm to lightly lube the threads of the juice control...it worked a treat, so thanks to Mr. Qorax!

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX
I use a very tiny amount, just a touch on the end of a toothpick, which I then rub around with my finger. So far I've just rinsed my Kayfuns in warm water once since I started using this stuff. I didn't notice a mess, and I'm not sure I applied it again. This little container of keg lube will probably last many life times. Sorta like the bottle of capstan lube I bought in 1973!

JUMA55

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2014
Waco, TX

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
And I've actually thought about using this stuff a few times. It's really slick and doesn't wash off. it is obviously designed for other uses. :D But as I've been told, but do not understand, silicon lube ruins silicon products.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R5BGKE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe you are thinking of petroleum jelly?
From the Amazon keg lube page:

This product is most likely silicone plumber grease, not petroleum jelly. It can be purchased at any hardware store. It is usually used to lubricate and seal moving rubber, vinyl, and nylon plumbing parts. Petroleum jelly will slowly soften and leach the original oils out of rubber parts.

Reactions: AstroTurf

Yonjuro

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2015
Western Australia
Well my Kayfun 5 finally arrived today. Less than half an hour playing with it and I am vaping like a king :D

@qorax was spot on in his review! So easy to build, so easy to vape - it just works! :D

I am using the middle MTL adapter 1.2ohm build 26g Kanthal 3mm Id 16 watts CelluCotton with Dragon's Fire - very tasty and very easy!

The drip tip is the SM standard with the FortyFour Designs top piece.

IMG_2758.jpg

Chakris

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Noalox, good stuff for electrical conductivity, threads on mech mods, and flashlights. Not sure I'd want it inside my tanks. Ingredients: Polybutene, Zinc Dust, Silicon Dioxide.

I recommend something food and water supply safe:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X7JXM4C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Guess I should have clarified there, I use Noalox only on mod threads - end caps and section threads, not on tanks.

Yonjuro

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2015
Western Australia
I just used e-juice to lube the 5. It's never failed me in the past - I did however do it twice on the JF and made sure it was nice and smooth before I filled the tank.

I've been chain-vaping it for the last few hours and just refilled the tank - not a hint of a leak, flooding, gurgling or a dry hit. :thumbs:

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
I just used e-juice to lube the 5. It's never failed me in the past - I did however do it twice on the JF and made sure it was nice and smooth before I filled the tank.

I've been chain-vaping it for the last few hours and just refilled the tank - not a hint of a leak, flooding, gurgling or a dry hit. :thumbs:

The problem with using juice for lube, especially VG, if you have a lot of mods and don't use one for awhile, the high VG juice can dry out and gets STICKY. Sure it works at first and if you keep using the same device, but it's not a good long term solution. For a few bucks, it was worth getting the silicone lube designed specifically for orings by DOW, that I linked to. I treated all my deep storage tanks, this way so in a year or longer later, the orings will still be healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread