Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
The desire to assist is appreciated. I tore down the build, and have cleaned and stored the KF5 already, so I can't get pics.
As far as coil & wick, I've been using 28awg SS316L and rayon for some time now, in TC mode, at 30w/450°F, spaced coils. These settings work best for me with this liquid.
I've tried coil ID's from 1.5mm to 3mm, really dense wick, really light wick, and lots of variations in between. I've paid special attention to wick tail density and length, as well as just packed it full. As I stated before, I had the best luck with really thin wick tails that just tickle the deck, but it was such a pain for me to deal with, it's a non-starter. I've tried pretty much the full gambit of things.
I learned a hard lesson about filling level early on with KF5, as in if it's overfilled, it will flat out purge liquid not just weep. That ticked me off, but I got by that.
I really do believe it's a liquid issue. I had really good luck vaping a high VG liquid, but that's just not something I can do even most of the time (unlike most folks). I'm a strange vaper. I accepted that a long time ago :D
What's really important to me is being able to reliably build an atty every week or two, fill it once per day, and just vape it. Regularly having to deal with leaks, or tinkering with coils, worrying about whether or not a moderate change in temperature/humidity is going to cause an issue, having to constantly open & close JFC to make sure leaks don't happen...not enough time in my day to deal with that kind of stuff.
I understand your frustration...

But, I simply must know... Did you tighten the 5mm nut on the bottom that holds the positive screw?

I found that was a wee bit looser than I liked on mine.

Jim

KY_Rob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2013
Kentucky
I understand your frustration...

But, I simply must know... Did you tighten the 5mm nut on the bottom that holds the positive screw?

I found that was a wee bit looser than I liked on mine.

Jim

I checked it when it was new, and snugged it...seemed tight then. Haven't checked since.

Reactions: AstroTurf

AstroTurf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
I checked it when it was new, and snugged it...seemed tight then. Haven't checked since.
I just rechecked mine... Tight as the day I reassembled it.

Mine gets weepy from time to time.

But, I am confident that it is from wicking.

It is not an easy thing to get perfect everytime.

Jim

Reactions: KY_Rob

Mada

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
Egypt
The desire to assist is appreciated. I tore down the build, and have cleaned and stored the KF5 already, so I can't get pics.
As far as coil & wick, I've been using 28awg SS316L and rayon for some time now, in TC mode, at 30w/450°F, spaced coils. These settings work best for me with this liquid.
I've tried coil ID's from 1.5mm to 3mm, really dense wick, really light wick, and lots of variations in between. I've paid special attention to wick tail density and length, as well as just packed it full. As I stated before, I had the best luck with really thin wick tails that just tickle the deck, but it was such a pain for me to deal with, it's a non-starter. I've tried pretty much the full gambit of things.
I learned a hard lesson about filling level early on with KF5, as in if it's overfilled, it will flat out purge liquid not just weep. That ticked me off, but I got by that.
I really do believe it's a liquid issue. I had really good luck vaping a high VG liquid, but that's just not something I can do even most of the time (unlike most folks). I'm a strange vaper. I accepted that a long time ago :D
What's really important to me is being able to reliably build an atty every week or two, fill it once per day, and just vape it. Regularly having to deal with leaks, or tinkering with coils, worrying about whether or not a moderate change in temperature/humidity is going to cause an issue, having to constantly open & close JFC to make sure leaks don't happen...not enough time in my day to deal with that kind of stuff.
Unfortunately, I have the same experience with KF5. I have KFL+, KF 4, KF mini V3 , subtank mini, GEM and none of them ever leaks. My two KF 5's leaks from air holes. But please note that I go from cold to hot and vice verse in Egypt and I lay them down frequently. If they are standing straight, they will never leak. I tried all tips and tricks, but it still leaks. I can't think of anything else to do but I hope some one will come out with a solution.

k2zs

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2014
Rochester, NY
Unfortunately, I have the same experience with KF5. I have KFL+, KF 4, KF mini V3 , subtank mini, GEM and none of them ever leaks. My two KF 5's leaks from air holes. But please note that I go from cold to hot and vice verse in Egypt and I lay them down frequently. If they are standing straight, they will never leak. I tried all tips and tricks, but it still leaks. I can't think of anything else to do but I hope some one will come out with a solution.
Try closing the juice control when making those transitions or when not in use. I would also turn it upside down when opening the juice control to allow the pressure to escape instead of pushing juice out.

I found early on that it is best to turn it upside down when opening the juice control after filling. It will pressurize the tank when screwing the top cap down. You can actually hear it "burp" when you open the juice control so that's going to push juice if you don't invert it.

Mada

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
Egypt
Try closing the juice control when making those transitions or when not in use. I would also turn it upside down when opening the juice control to allow the pressure to escape instead of pushing juice out.

I found early on that it is best to turn it upside down when opening the juice control after filling. It will pressurize the tank when screwing the top cap down. You can actually hear it "burp" when you open the juice control so that's going to push juice if you don't invert it.
Thanks, I think this is the only way until I find a permanent solution.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm about totally ready to give up on KF5. It's better for me using the new 6ml steel tank section, but I still have the same sporadic "weep" issues around the AFC ring, especially after going outside into the heat and back to the AC.
Flavor is superb, and building on the thing is super easy...I just hate having to wipe the juice off the bottom! Never had to do that with KF4.
I've been able to resolve all leaking issues with my two K5s by replacing o-rings:

1. Seeping from Bottom: Both had this issue. Replaced the two bottom o-rings (AFC and the little one at the very bottom) and tighten the hex nut. Both dry as a bone ever since.

2. Seeping from AFC Slots: Only one had this issue. Replaced the JFC o-ring and it's been dry as a bone ever since. I knew this wasn't a wicking issue since the builds/wicks on both were virtually identical.

Be sure the replacement rings are lubed (I use olive oil).

It's a tad disappointing to have to swap out o-rings on a $100+ Svoemesto, but glad I found a fix that works.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I've been able to resolve all leaking issues with my two K5s by replacing o-rings:

1. Seeping from Bottom: Both had this issue. Replaced the two bottom o-rings (AFC and the little one at the very bottom) and tighten the hex nut. Both dry as a bone ever since.

2. Seeping from AFC Slots: Only one had this issue. Replaced the JFC o-ring and it's been dry as a bone ever since. I knew this wasn't a wicking issue since the builds/wicks on both were virtually identical.

It's a tad disappointing to have to swap out o-rings on a $100+ Svoemesto, but glad I found a fix that works.
Funny, after never experiencing this problem my K5 has suddenly started to seep juice from the AFC slots. Just started a week ago. It's intermittent but I suspect will be constant soon. Of course, my first thought was o-rings. What else could it be? That was a rhetorical question. I agree, it is disappointing coming from a $100 atomizer. But it's not a show stopper. It just means I will likely have to swap out that o-ring every few months. O-rings are cheap enough. BTW, I lube them with mineral oil.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

Magicmyst, perhaps you can point out which O-rings apply to each of your issues using this video. You can fast forward to the 7:10 mark for the area you are talking about. This would be helpful to many. Thanks.

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Magicmyst, perhaps you can point out which O-rings apply to each of your issues using this video. You can fast forward to the 7:10 mark for the area you are talking about. This would be helpful to many. Thanks.

The JFC ring can be seen at 18:34. Replacing this one stopped the seeping from the airflow slots for me.

The little ring at the bottom can be seen at 20:37. The AFC ring can be seen at 22:19 (just above the air holes). I replaced both of these to stop the seeping at the bottom. Not sure which one (or both?) was the culprit.

At 7:24 you can see the AFC ring to the right and the JFC ring in the middle. The smaller ring to the left (top) I've never touched except to keep it lubed when re-wicking.

Last edited:

magicmyst

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I agree, it is disappointing coming from a $100 atomizer. But it's not a show stopper. It just means I will likely have to swap out that o-ring every few months.
Only time will tell how long the replaced rings perform. I agree it's not a big deal, except by comparison to my two heavily used KFL+ which still contain all their original rings!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Only time will tell how long the replaced rings perform. I agree it's not a big deal, except by comparison to my two heavily used KFL+ which still contain all their original rings!
Thanks for the information. This will be useful for those who encounter this problem (which I suspect is a matter of time for all or most). I also own two KFLs. One is an original shortly after they were intro'd in 2013 and a Plus a few months later. Never had to do a thing to either one of them and they have lots of miles on them.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
The JFC ring can be seen at 18:34. Replacing this one stopped the seeping from the airflow slots for me.
In other words, the middle one of the three on the interior deck piece. EDIT: OK, read ahead and you mentioned it was the middle one.

Good work Magic.

Last edited:

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Funny, after never experiencing this problem my K5 has suddenly started to seep juice from the AFC slots. Just started a week ago. It's intermittent but I suspect will be constant soon. Of course, my first thought was o-rings. What else could it be? That was a rhetorical question. I agree, it is disappointing coming from a $100 atomizer. But it's not a show stopper. It just means I will likely have to swap out that o-ring every few months. O-rings are cheap enough. BTW, I lube them with mineral oil.
Time for a fresh build - ya General :)
Like I have time-n-again stated over the forums ~ I'm yet to replace any O-ring in any of my atties since I started vaping.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Time for a fresh build - ya General :)
Like I have time-n-again stated over the forums ~ I'm yet to replace any O-ring in any of my atties since I started vaping.
Mr. Q, how many times do you suppose I've rebuilt Kayfuns? I can build a Kayfun in my sleep while dreaming about sleeping. :)

The problem with juice seeping out the air flow slots on my K5 is not my build. It's the JFC o-ring. I swapped it out and it stopped leaking. Dry as a bone. :)
I rebuilt it several times thinking it was that. Nada. When I swapped out the o-ring I kept the build that was in there so the only thing that changed was the o-ring. Problem solved! I think the K5 (at least some of them) have an inherent problem with some of their o-rings. Are they defective o-rings? Do they wear quickly? Incorrectly sized? Not sure. I'll find out soon enough. We'll see how long the replacement ring lasts. I used one from the spares bag. First time I ever had to use a spare for any Kayfun I owned. First time for everything, I guess.

:banana:

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Kayfun5 O-ring sizes:
Body:

1) Under the pos pole: 7x1.5 (6x1.5 will work)
2) Under the airhole base: 10x1
3) Tank seal: 11x1 (10x1 will work)
4) Chimney seal: 10x1​
Tank:
5) Bottom: 18x1.5
6) Upper: 18x1.5​
Topcap:
7) Chimney seal: 5x1.5 (6x1.5 will work)
8) Topcap to tank: 11x1 (10x1 will work)
9) Driptip: 6x1.5
10) Driptip: 6x1.5​
*But the size quoted is the best fit
Ps: -There are ten O-rings used in the K5 :)
-All are Nitrile/NBR70.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread