Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
So, I've just sampled my extract of Peter Stokkebye Kentucky Maroon (formerly Kentucky Nougat) and it is fantastic. I wasn't too hopeful of the flavourings coming through as I've read that in many cases with flavoured pipe tobacco this doesn't happen. However, I've got to say I get some lovely chocolate and vanilla notes, not too subtle or overpowering but really enhancing the overall taste. This was a PG/heat assisted extraction and I'm curious to see how the flavour develops (or dissipates) over the coming weeks, but for now it is definitely a winner.

I'd recommend vaping up the Kentucky Noug. quickly!
I've extracted this twice (I only cold-steep in PG 'cos I'm lazy!!...), the 1st time was the best:- all the vanilla etc. toppings tasted great. 2nd time I left for longer (8 weeks) & just got a reasonably strong tobacco flavour.....but it was n't an aromatic any more!
I'll do it again at some point but will use some heat & chain-vape the results before it fades!!

Mr Steeps

Feb 5, 2017
I'd recommend vaping up the Kentucky Noug. quickly!
I've extracted this twice (I only cold-steep in PG 'cos I'm lazy!!...), the 1st time was the best:- all the vanilla etc. toppings tasted great. 2nd time I left for longer (8 weeks) & just got a reasonably strong tobacco flavour.....but it was n't an aromatic any more!
I'll do it again at some point but will use some heat & chain-vape the results before it fades!!
Haha thanks for the tip... I'll try and make the most of it before the goodness fades out!

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Another cigar that's taken it's sweet time to develop.

I mixed this up in July I think. Tried it last night. Good but a little weak. Added a couple of drops of extract into the squonk bottle and it filled out with heavy leather and a bit of chocolate. I'm sure that giving it a few more months it'll really shine.
Forgot to add, I got mine from P%C but, it seems they're out of stock.

Last edited:

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Just been vaping a newer extraction I made that I thought had a slight chance of being a good "change of pace."
It is, and it is called Sutliff's Molto Dolce, if interested
Search - Pipes and Cigars

One of the best "flavored" pipe tobaccos that I've extracted, I really enjoy Molto Dolce but only when freshly mixed. The secondary flavorings seem to fade after a few weeks.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Just been vaping a newer extraction I made that I thought had a slight chance of being a good "change of pace."
It is, and it is called Sutliff's Molto Dolce, if interested
Search - Pipes and Cigars

One of the best "flavored" pipe tobaccos that I've extracted, I really enjoy Molto Dolce but only when freshly mixed. The secondary flavorings seem to fade after a few weeks.

When i first tried Molto Dolce i thought it was the finest juice i'd had. Now, it becomes a little cloying after awhile. it's still very good but, in limited use. Maybe that's the secondary flavors going bye-bye.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
When i first tried Molto Dolce i thought it was the finest juice i'd had. Now, it becomes a little cloying after awhile. it's still very good but, in limited use. Maybe that's the secondary flavors going bye-bye.

I only mix 10ml at a time and enjoy a few dripper loads every now and then. I don't consider Molto Dolce to be an ADV, it's more like a good dessert! ;)

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
great feedback folks! :thumb:

Agreed!

Good evening NET maestros. I've been playing around with Lakeland style pipe tobacco extracts, among others, and some are now coming of age into usable liquid. I want to say off the top they may not hold interest for all, somewhat dependent on if one purchases scented or unscented, the scented floral notes might be off-putting, just as in the pipe.

Now perhaps this deserves to be filed more under outlier than not, for reasons mentioned below, but I've been vaping a PGA heat extracted, scented G&H Coniston Cut Plug mixed to 9%. Alone, at that ratio, it is overwhelming. A couple days ago I mixed a hybrid of Nicoticket ACB and the Coniston 50/50. It has been superb, and held up all day. Outstanding really, I'm closing in on my zone!

disclaimers: I know NT has retired from the business, pity. (I did stock up a bit with that last 80% off email I received, now only if Clark releases his recipes ;-)
Also, the G&H CCPlug I extracted was long aged, bulk tobacco that I tinned myself at home in 2003.

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I've mixed NET with NT's ACB and Frenilla, both are quite good. Also liked mixing with Charlie Noble's Pistachio RY4 and Tripoli. Yet another to try mixing with is Ahlusion's Caramel Wild wood, the only synthetic juice I could actually vape as a standalone flavor (no NET). :)

For a true DIY hybrid NET add some Flavor West "Caramel Candy", TFA "Acetyl Pyrazine" and DIYFlavorshack "Holy Vanilla" to a NET, makes a great RY4.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
I know this was discussed a bit earlier, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in the mix about G&H Black Irish X. This tobacco is unlike anything I've macerated to date.... I'm very taken with the flavor and punch; must be the tonquin and other casings, plus the cook process involved.

My version was a PG, 8 hour heat assisted start, followed by a month cool steep. Mixed at 15% stand alone, 50p/50v..... just wow! This tobacco is one that keeps me wondering.... is there another tobacco out there that can be as much of a wonderful discovery?

The hunt continues! :)

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
....................This tobacco is one that keeps me wondering.... is there another tobacco out there that can be as much of a wonderful discovery?

The hunt continues! :)

Exactly why I've extracted hundred of different tobaccos and yet eagerly continue searching. The prospect there might be a "holy grail" of tobacco blends lurking around the corner just waiting for discovery urges me on ;)

kbriggs

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
www.briggsoft.com
I know this was discussed a bit earlier, but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in the mix about G&H Black Irish X.

I just tried to order 1 oz of this from pipesandcigars.com ($4.25) but their order form wouldn't allow me to select first class shipping ($3.99) , leaving my cheapest option at $6.99 for "economy" for a total of $11.24. So I go over to smokingpipes.com and even though 1 oz of Black Irish X is a little more at $5.11, they only charged me $1.01 for shipping for a total of $6.12.

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
G&H Black Irish X...........Mixed at 15% stand alone, 50p/50v..... just wow!

Wow indeed nostra, that's an adult beverage right there mixed at 15%! I'm doing 24 hr@160º in 190 PGA and don't think I could handle that high a mix. I'm wondering if using PG takes some of the edge off? I might have to give PG a try with the rope.

kbriggs

ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2014
Houston, Texas
www.briggsoft.com
Wow indeed nostra, that's an adult beverage right there mixed at 15%! I'm doing 24 hr@160º in 190 PGA and don't think I could handle that high a mix. I'm wondering if using PG takes some of the edge off? I might have to give PG a try with the rope.

Aren't most PG extractions mixed in the 20 to 25% range (since PG cannot be reduced like PGA)? 15% sounded low to me.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Aren't most PG extractions mixed in the 20 to 25% range (since PG cannot be reduced like PGA)? 15% sounded low to me.

i've only done cold PG extracting and mix pipe tobacco at 25%, cigars at 35% although i have been adding a little more extract to the cigars to get a little more "umph".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread