Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
There are many, many different ways to mix an RY4 style juice, which way tastes best depends on the person enjoying it. Try adding the following to a well aged NET;
  • 1% DIYFS "Holy Vanilla"
  • 2% TFA "Vanilla Swirl"
  • 1.5% TFA "English Toffee"
  • 3% FW "Caramel Candy"
  • 1.5% TFA "AP"

Mr Steeps

Feb 5, 2017
There are many, many different ways to mix an RY4 style juice, which way tastes best depends on the person enjoying it. Try adding the following to a well aged NET;
  • 1% DIYFS "Holy Vanilla"
  • 2% TFA "Vanilla Swirl"
  • 1.5% TFA "English Toffee"
  • 3% FW "Caramel Candy"
  • 1.5% TFA "AP"
Thanks again... i have all those flavours so will give it a shot now!

Reactions: Str8vision

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Lately I've been enjoying a 50/50 blend of Acid "Blondie" and Acid "Opulence" cigars mixed with 1% TFA "AP". I'm alternating that with unflavored C&D's "Billy Bud" and an RY4 hybrid made using H&H's "Louisiana Red", Life is good.

I don't plan on sampling many new tobaccos this year, I'll be too busy working on my home and property but the Seattle Pipe club is offering a limited edition "Mississippi river special reserve" and since their regular Mississippi river blend makes an outstanding NET I've got to try the more robust limited edition reserve before it's gone. Also, Lane's "Andullo Bold" (a blend of Black Cavendish, aged Cigar Leaf and Latakia) has caught my eye. I have a lot of extracts and NET on hand so what I extract this year will be for next years use and beyond. Taking into consideration what (and how much of each) I have on hand here's my current planned extraction lineup for this year;

• C&D "orion's Arrow" (I'm running low)
  • C&D "Old Joe Krantz" (I'm running low)
  • C&D "Billy Bud" (I'll definitely need more of this one)
  • C&D "Big & Burley No. 103" (I'm almost out)
  • Seattle Pipe Club "Mississippi River Special Reserve" (*New*)
  • Lane Limited "Andullo Bold" (*New*)
  • Dunhill "Elizabethan Mixture" (I'm running low)
  • Drew Estates "Acid Blondie" (I'll need more of this one)
  • Drew Estates "Acid opulence 3" (I'll need more of this one)
  • Tsuge "Ryujin" (I'm running low)
I've got enough of my other favorites to skip a year or two. I plan on extracting 4 oz of each of the listed tobaccos with the exception of the Blondie and Opulence cigars, I'll extract 10 cigars of each. I've started storing bulk extracts in the freezer alongside my liquid nic, so far I haven't noticed any negative effects but only time will tell. The same as with liquid nic my goal is to slow oxidation to the point extracts and NETs remain fresh/viable for decades.

Last edited:

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014

Have you ever given their Holy Holy RY4 concentrate a shot? I'm looking to clone/replace my wife's RY4, which we purchase from EC Blends currently. I would love to find something which I could mix with a nice straight Virginia NET (her favorite NET so far).

The cloning game sucks, but if I can find a suitable stand alone RY4 concentrate for hybrid use, life will be good. ;)

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Have you ever given their Holy Holy RY4 concentrate a shot? I'm looking to clone/replace my wife's RY4, which we purchase from EC Blends currently. I would love to find something which I could mix with a nice straight Virginia NET (her favorite NET so far).

The cloning game sucks, but if I can find a suitable stand alone RY4 concentrate for hybrid use, life will be good. ;)

I haven't tried DIYFlavorshack's RY4 premixed concentrate so couldn't say, but their Holy Vanilla is the -best- straight Vanilla flavoring on the market and I've tried them all. They offer test sizes (<3ml), which shouldn't cost but a few dollars even with shipping, might be worth a try. I agree with your wife when it comes to RY4s, Virginia dominant NETs are well suited. H&H "Louisiana Red" (a Virginia/Perique blend) is one of my favorite NETs for RY4s. Dunhill "Elizabethan Mixture" (another Virginia/Perique blend) is also great but it has a light to medium hay/straw nuance typical of many Virginia dominant tobacco blends. I also like Dunhill "Royal Yacht" a -very robust- mix of just Virginia tobaccos, one of the strongest I've found.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
H&H "Louisiana Red" (a Virginia/Perique blend) is one of my favorite NETs for RY4s.

I have some of that steeping as I type; look forward to the outcome.

Dunhill "Royal Yacht" a -very robust- mix of just Virginia tobaccos, one of the strongest I've found.

I believe I remember reading this on ECF before somewhere... but good to keep that info fresh in my mind. I have some D&R Windsail which has my wife's name all over it... just need to get it into a jar!

I'm rather curious if the Holy Vanilla is a product of EuroFlavor? I was doing a comparison of flavor names between the two companies... quite a few match up word for word... especially in the tobacco realm. ;) But anyway... I'll take your word the DIYFS Holy Vanilla is the heat for an RY4 hybrid NET mixture. I'll be giving the Holy Holy Grail RY4 a go as well just for good measure... tired of spending $70 for 250ml of RY4 from EC Blends!:mad:

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Lately I've been enjoying a 50/50 blend of Acid "Blondie" and Acid "Opulence" cigars mixed with 1% TFA "AP". I'm alternating that with unflavored C&D's "Billy Bud" and an RY4 hybrid made using H&H's "Louisiana Red", Life is good.

I don't plan on sampling many new tobaccos this year, I'll be too busy working on my home and property but the Seattle Pipe club is offering a limited edition "Mississippi river special reserve" and since their regular Mississippi river blend makes an outstanding NET I've got to try the more robust limited edition reserve before it's gone. Also, Lane's "Andullo Bold" (a blend of Black Cavendish, aged Cigar Leaf and Latakia) has caught my eye. I have a lot of extracts and NET on hand so what I extract this year will be for next years use and beyond. Taking into consideration what (and how much of each) I have on hand here's my current planned extraction lineup for this year;

• C&D "Orion's Arrow" (I'm running low)
  • C&D "Old Joe Krantz" (I'm running low)
  • C&D "Billy Bud" (I'll definitely need more of this one)
  • C&D "Big & Burley No. 103" (I'm almost out)
  • Seattle Pipe Club "Mississippi River Special Reserve" (*New*)
  • Lane Limited "Andullo Bold" (*New*)
  • Dunhill "Elizabethan Mixture" (I'm running low)
  • Drew Estates "Acid Blondie" (I'll need more of this one)
  • Drew Estates "Acid opulence 3" (I'll need more of this one)
  • Tsuge "Ryujin" (I'm running low)
I've got enough of my other favorites to skip a year or two. I plan on extracting 4 oz of each of the listed tobaccos with the exception of the Blondie and Opulence cigars, I'll extract 10 cigars of each. I've started storing bulk extracts in the freezer alongside my liquid nic, so far I haven't noticed any negative effects but only time will tell. The same as with liquid nic my goal is to slow oxidation to the point extracts and NETs remain fresh/viable for decades.

Man that Lane's Andullo Bold sure sounds good

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
I bought all those listed above (and quite a few others since) from thebackyshop.co.uk at 25g. I also ordered 10x 20g of different leaves from wholeleaftobaccoonly.com and several budget cigars from cgarsltd.co.uk
Thanks!
Reason I asked is 'cos smokeking have stopped selling 5g. samples of pipe 'baccy...which were perfect for making small amounts of NET.
I liked wholeleafetc..'s Red Virg., Aged Burley & Havana leaf but don't think They supply the cigar wrapper/filler leaf anymore....what did You get from them?

Reactions: 67Tele

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
wish I had a penny for every tobacco that sounded good and extracted poorly. :confused:
That's why I followed @Str8vision (and others) lead and picked several that were recommended. ;)

I'm learning that each has it's own *best by* steep time. More than once I was initially disappointed, even after several weeks, only to be pleasantly surprised after just a little more time. The latest *treat* was with Dunhill Elizabethan Mix. The last time I test tasted it was a few week ago and it was still rough around the edges. Loaded up a tank today with the intent of adding a little Blondie to help it out a little. (Did that with a different not so great NET and it turned out good.) Nope, this don't need nuthin. :wub:

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
Time, aging, treatment, method, variety, so many variables, as well I'm finding how aggressive the extraction process is can lead to subtle or not so subtle changes in flavor. I think when I began I wondered if I could get enough strength from the tobacco. Now, seeing just how robust I can make an extract, I'm attempting to learn how I can influence the process for nuance and smoothness of the flavors.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
without the menthol, how would you rate the strength of the taste? From the "smokers" some rated it strong, which could be a good trait for extracting.
I like strong juices and mix my pipe extract at 25% which, I believe, both Clay and Diane did. Seattle Evening is probably on par with Dunhill Nightcap. It's smooth. The last 120 ml I've had I premixed with menthol. A couple of weeks ago I mixed it without to go back and see what it was like nekkid.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
......I've been adding menthol to my extract of it.

I bought pure menthol crystals a few years ago (Wizard Labs) and dissolved a few flakes in 10ml PG to make a concentrated menthol additive. It was so strong I had to add another 20ml of PG and even then used it at < 1%. I haven't added any menthol to a NET in years (forgot all about it) but at very low percentages I remember it enhanced flavor especially in hybrid mixes. I remember mixing a touch of menthol with TFA juicy peach and adding it to a NET made from 50% C&D "Big & Burley #103" and 50% Rocky Patel "Vintage '90". Fond memories :)

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
I bought pure menthol crystals a few years ago (Wizard Labs) and dissolved a few flakes in 10ml PG to make a concentrated menthol additive. It was so strong I had to add another 20ml of PG and even then used it at < 1%. I haven't added any menthol to a NET in years (forgot all about it) but at very low percentages I remember it enhanced flavor especially in hybrid mixes. I remember mixing a touch of menthol with TFA juicy peach and adding it to a NET made from 50% C&D "Big & Burley #103" and 50% Rocky Patel "Vintage '90". Fond memories :)

I smoked menthol for 45 years so I have to have it at hand always.

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
Just loaded this up: Best Selling Escudo Navy Deluxe - Pipes and Cigars
Let it sit for a month after mixing. Will probably need more time but at first blush I think it's gonna be a very good flavor.

A classic, lovely VaPer, I'll be interested in how it turns out for you. I haven't tried making a NET from it but loved it in the pipe. I have one unopened tin I've been saving, the AC Peterson label from 2000 that I over-sealed in a vacuum bag, haven't quite got myself to open it ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread