Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
I got that email too however as others have pointed out several of the big brand blending Periques also claim to be offering authentic "St James" but at a much better price per ounce. An article I read years ago mirrors much of the information Boxter posted. The makers of the original St James Parish Perique went under financially but the business was saved/resurrected by a few big tobacco blenders who needed a steady supply of Perique for their tobacco blends. Most of todays "St James" Perique is actually air cured tobacco that was grown "elsewhere" but fermented at St James Parish in a manner similar to the original Perique. Definitely a more sustainable, higher volume and more profitable process but it's not the same original Perique of old.

True. Heh, this small gathering is building a resemblance to a group of ye olde pipe smokers all the time! Almost any gathering, virtual or in person, would foment lengthy discussions - and laments - about how the current offerings of Escudo or Balkan Sobranie were nowhere near that of yore, or how Dunhill blends were a ghost of their former selves, or how all the good wood was gone, or etc. (All that mostly true as well ;-)

I hope they don't kick us out :D

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
I got that email too however as others have pointed out several of the big brand blending Periques also claim to be offering authentic "St James" but at a much better price per ounce. An article I read years ago mirrors much of the information Boxter posted. The makers of the original St James Parish Perique went under financially but the business was saved/resurrected by a few big tobacco blenders who needed a steady supply of Perique for their tobacco blends. Most of todays "St James" Perique is actually air cured tobacco that was grown "elsewhere" but fermented at St James Parish in a manner similar to the original Perique. Definitely a more sustainable, higher volume and more profitable process but it's not the same original Perique of old.

According to the 2010 interview that I posted, Mark Ryan states that in the 5 years that he has owned L.A. Poche, he has only sold 1 barrel of straight St. James Perique to a company in Germany. The other major producer (Martin I assume) sells exclusively to Santa Fe Tobacco Company. Of course this interview was 7 years ago, so It's certainly possible the situation has changed. Mark also mentions that he has been approached by other cigarette manufactures as potential clients.

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
True. Heh, this small gathering is building a resemblance to a group of ye olde pipe smokers all the time! Almost any gathering, virtual or in person, would foment lengthy discussions - and laments - about how the current offerings of Escudo or Balkan Sobranie were nowhere near that of yore, or how Dunhill blends were a ghost of their former selves, or how all the good wood was gone, or etc. (All that mostly true as well ;-)

I hope they don't kick us out :D
Yea we get off topic sometimes, but this is Str8's thread back in the dark recesses of ECF, so I don't think we'll get any complaints.

But just in case: Ashton VSG cigar makes a great vape.:D

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
Yea we get off topic sometimes, but this is Str8's thread back in the dark recesses of ECF, so I don't think we'll get any complaints.

Heh, above said tongue-in-cheek (I hope anyway) but don't get me wrong, it's the reason I'm here!......so please meander on off the lesser trod topic trail, though I do realize tobacco loving NET pullers may not fit the majority profile of users.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA

you got that right friend!

MSK421

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
I just wanted to post to say thank you to Checkum, Str8vision, and many others in this thread.
I started nets last Nov. Night cap, Ryback regular, Louisiana red, cohiba, ohm natural, and burly light w/o bite. Cold pg extraction; month+. All mixed at 15% single flavor, 20/80 pg/VG. All worked out nicely; great flavor. Some of the stronger flavors(red,ryback,nightcap) are now mixed at 10%-12% personally preferred. Here is one hybrid mix I thought some of you might enjoy.
I call this Red, White,& Blue
NET Red 10%; RFSC Cream 1%; RFSC Blueberry .5% (RFSC= Real Flavors Super Concentrate)
Thank you all again!

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Since Friday all tobaccos are in a big cooker. Every day I heated water in the cooker. Turned off after some time and then again turned on. 5-6 hours per day. I didn't use any thermometer but water was never boiling and I was always able to dip my hand in the water for more than 10s. Captain Black Royal smell nice, other two smell like wet hay. Cigarillos also have some cigarillo smell.

Today when I turned off the fire I took a sample and tried it in my Avocado. I didn't add any VG, pure extract. It was still warm. It tasted very similar to what it smelled. Vaping on wet hay. :D I know tasting pure extract is not a good representation of the taste, but still, it's far from what I expected.

Am I missing something or is this just the way naturally extracted tobacco tastes? I expected it would be something similar to RY4 (TPA) or at last in the same ballpark.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Since Friday all tobaccos are in a big cooker. Every day I heated water in the cooker. Turned off after some time and then again turned on. 5-6 hours per day. I didn't use any thermometer but water was never boiling and I was always able to dip my hand in the water for more than 10s. Captain Black Royal smell nice, other two smell like wet hay. Cigarillos also have some cigarillo smell.

Today when I turned off the fire I took a sample and tried it in my Avocado. I didn't add any VG, pure extract. It was still warm. It tasted very similar to what it smelled. Vaping on wet hay. :D I know tasting pure extract is not a good representation of the taste, but still, it's far from what I expected.

Am I missing something or is this just the way naturally extracted tobacco tastes? I expected it would be something similar to RY4 (TPA) or at last in the same ballpark.

I don't know that you are going to get any sort of a true taste of the extract in such a short time.
I macerate my extractions the cold method for 4 to six weeks and then strain them through a filter. I fear you left out that step and also rush the process.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
I just wanted to post to say thank you to Checkum, Str8vision, and many others in this thread.
I started nets last Nov. Night cap, Ryback regular, Louisiana red, cohiba, ohm natural, and burly light w/o bite. Cold pg extraction; month+. All mixed at 15% single flavor, 20/80 pg/VG. All worked out nicely; great flavor. Some of the stronger flavors(red,ryback,nightcap) are now mixed at 10%-12% personally preferred. Here is one hybrid mix I thought some of you might enjoy.
NET Red 10%; RFSC Cream 1%; RFSC Blueberry .5% (RFSC= Real Flavors Super Concentrate)
Thank you all again!

Glad we could be of help and you had success! You ever have a question, just ask. No question is unimportant! That is the purpose of this thread.... :toast:

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
I didn't use any thermometer

After I mix I hit it with one of these to get it mixed and aerated. I heat up the water in a rice cooker and then put it on "Keep Warm" with it hovering around 100 deg with the lid open. I do use a thermometer. Let is sit in there for several hours and then put it in the cabinet for a couple of months.

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
I don't know that you are going to get any sort of a true taste of the extract in such a short time.
I macerate my extractions the cold method for 4 to six weeks and then strain them through a filter. I fear you left out that step and also rush the process.

All tobaccos are still soaked in jars. As I said, I applied heat (stovetop) for 4 days. I didn't cook constantly but in intervals. Couple of hours and then left to cool down. Every day couple of times. I never left to cook over the night.

I got inspiration from here:
DIY: Make your own Naturally Extracted Tobacco e-juice at home – Desi Vapers

EDIT: I think my extract are potent enough, I'm worried about the taste. :D I have no idea what NET should taste. Do you like it even when not mixed with other flavors? Strangely, if I taste a drop of extract it is nice. Sweet and little peppery. :D

Last edited:

MSK421

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
EDIT: I think my extract are potent enough, I'm worried about the taste. :D I have no idea what NET should taste. Do you like it even when not mixed with other flavors? Strangely, if I taste a drop of extract it is nice. Sweet and little peppery. :D
The extracts that I've done taste very close if not spot on with the description of the tobacco purchased. If tobacco is bought in b/m store there are great review sites out there. Search engines are your friends. I actually taste more tobacco flavor(s) now compared to smoking the same tobacco. Not combusting allows more flavor(s) to come though or is it I can taste now that I don't smoke.....hmmmm either way more flavor.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA

Vaping straight extract will taste... bad. :nah: I know because -once- I accidentally loaded my dripper with extract instead of mixed NET and it tasted like murky, bitter plant mixed with dirty gym socks. To sample an extract you first need to mix it with suitable amounts of PG/VG just like when mixing concentrated flavorings for DIY. Assuming you used PG as the extraction solvent, 20% extract is a good starting point for pipe or cigarette tobacco, 30% for extract of cigars. For an in-process sample of your extracts, try drawing out and mixing 10 drops of extract with 40 drops of PG/VG. For testing the mixed samples I use a dripper (RDA). Try mixing up a sample and vape it, this will give you a much more accurate taste of the extract you've produced. ;) Remember too that after an extract is mixed it will improve with age and won't reach its full flavor potential for a month or more. Several of my favorite tobaccos don't reach their full flavor potential until 2 - 3 months after they were mixed.

Hay or straw flavor is a characteristic of many Virginia tobaccos and some Burleys depending on how they've been cured. Normally the straw taste will diminish (somewhat) as the mixed NET ages. I personally don't mind a slight hay/straw note but don't like it if it's too pronounced/prominent. The hay/straw note present in Dunhill's "Elizabethan" is the most I can tolerate/enjoy. For this reason I avoid extracting straight Virginia tobaccos but don't mind them when mixed with other types of tobacco such as in a Virginia/Perique blend, one of my favorites. :)

I'm not familiar with the specific method of extraction you're using so can't really comment on it. What I can say (from experience) is when it comes to hot processed extractions, the processing temperature and length of time that heat is applied is vitally important to flavor. Too little heat or processing time and the flavor will be anemic, Too high a heat for too long a period of time and the flavor will be damaged.

Some tobaccos simply won't produce great flavor no matter what you do to them which is why this thread (Best tobacco for flavor extraction) was started. I've personally extracted several hundred different tobaccos, tobacco blends and cigars and only perhaps twenty five of them produced flavor I consider -outstanding-, many others were good but didn't suit my personal taste and some were just plain bland/boring. :sleep: Finding a tobacco that suits your individual taste can almost be as important as the method of extraction itself. ;)

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA

:thumb:
Satisfying isn't it.

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain

Str8vision admirably addressed most of your concerns so I'll just add it might be good to consider that a flavoring like RY4 is a blend of components, depending on who makes it, well described here.
RY4 is an umbrella term for a flavor profile that incorporates three basic component flavors: a tobacco base (usually mild and understated, but occasionally stronger and more up front), caramel, and vanilla. The caramels and vanillas are as varied as the tobacco bases. The trend has been to slowly evolve RY4 by adding other flavors to the mix, but those three are essential.

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Vaping straight extract will taste... bad. :nah: I know because -once- I accidentally loaded my dripper with extract instead of mixed NET and it tasted like murky, bitter plant mixed with dirty gym socks. To sample an extract you first need to mix it with suitable amounts of PG/VG just like when mixing concentrated flavorings for DIY. Assuming you used PG as the extraction solvent, 20% extract is a good starting point for pipe or cigarette tobacco, 30% for extract of cigars. For an in-process sample of your extracts, try drawing out and mixing 10 drops of extract with 40 drops of PG/VG. For testing the mixed samples I use a dripper (RDA). Try mixing up a sample and vape it, this will give you a much more accurate taste of the extract you've produced. ;) Remember too that after an extract is mixed it will improve with age and won't reach its full flavor potential for a month or more. Several of my favorite tobaccos don't reach their full flavor potential until 2 - 3 months after they were mixed.

Hay or straw flavor is a characteristic of many Virginia tobaccos and some Burleys depending on how they've been cured. Normally the straw taste will diminish (somewhat) as the mixed NET ages. I personally don't mind a slight hay/straw note but don't like it if it's too pronounced/prominent. The hay/straw note present in Dunhill's "Elizabethan" is the most I can tolerate/enjoy. For this reason I avoid extracting straight Virginia tobaccos but don't mind them when mixed with other types of tobacco such as in a Virginia/Perique blend, one of my favorites. :)

I'm not familiar with the specific method of extraction you're using so can't really comment on it. What I can say (from experience) is when it comes to hot processed extractions, the processing temperature and length of time that heat is applied is vitally important to flavor. Too little heat or processing time and the flavor will be anemic, Too high a heat for too long a period of time and the flavor will be damaged.

Some tobaccos simply won't produce great flavor no matter what you do to them which is why this thread (Best tobacco for flavor extraction) was started. I've personally extracted several hundred different tobaccos, tobacco blends and cigars and only perhaps twenty five of them produced flavor I consider -outstanding-, many others were good but didn't suit my personal taste and some were just plain bland/boring. :sleep: Finding a tobacco that suits your individual taste can almost be as important as the method of extraction itself. ;)

Thanks for this post. I made me more sure at what I'm doing.

I decided to macerate with heat till the end of the week. On Friday I will filter everything and then I will mix couple of small samples.

But from I can tell, heat is speeding up the process. I split Adiyaman to 2 jars. While one jar is resting on a shelf other is slowly cooking and the one that is cooking is darker and has more taste.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
So, Monday night I thought I'd try Russ' Perique 41 again. I'd mixed it Feb.17 so it was right at two months. There is some of the described flavor being hinted at. A little buttery smoothness and pepper. Needs more time.

Last night I loaded up Save Big on Samuel Gawith Black XX - Pipes and Cigars also mixed on Feb. 17. This is strong but not STRONG. It's very thick tasting. Sorta like the difference between molasses and syrup. Some of the reviewers thought/suggested using it as an additive which might be a good idea. To me it needs something brighter or sharper floating above it for balance.

btw, the discussion above about the history and thoughts on past/long-gone tobaccos is very much appreciated and I think is integral to understanding what we have now along with a little lamentation about the past.

MSK421

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Conana.
A net tobacco Cohiba @10%; RFsc banana 1%; base 20/80.
The Cohiba is a tasty cigar flavor from a pipe tobacco. It will remind you of a actual cohiba cigar(more flavor/net) Vaped daily. Mixed at 15%; 20/80
RFsc Banana is strong. Tested @ 2%; 20/80: Not Vapable til week3 of steep but week 6.........
Conana needs 1-2 more weeks but very nice in a dripper at day 21. Cohiba still developing; Banana needs to settle.

Reactions: Str8vision

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Gonna start filtering this weekend:
20170419_173958_6_bestshot.jpg
20170419_174037_3_bestshot.jpg

20170419_174116_5_bestshot.jpg

Status