Candy and Fruit Flavors Banned by FDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyj

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
fl
adults dont like flavors. adults will never eat cotton candy or suck on a grape lolly pop or even lick a pineapple iceee , they are oly for children adults are only supposed to like yuckky old stale tabacco taste... welll i say im going out to buy a fruity cigar for my brother inlaw and one for my brother.... and the fda can kiss my uknow what while i puff away on my joy-510 and my butter scotch ejuice lol :)

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I have become rather suspicious of government sources of information over the past several years. When I see a footnote, I am likely to go find the abstract for the article to see what the article is REALLY about.

Here’s the text:

Flavors make cigarettes and other tobacco products more appealing to youth. Studies have shown that 17 year old smokers are three times as likely to use flavored cigarettes as smokers over the age of 25.1

And here is the abstract for the referenced article.

Nicotine & Tobacco Research 2008 10(7):1209-1214; doi:10.1080/14622200802163159

Use of Flavored Cigarettes Among Older Adolescent and Adult Smokers: United States, 2004–2005

Sarah M. Klein, M.S., M.P.H., Gary A. Giovino, Ph.D., M.S., Dianne C. Barker, M.H.S., Cindy Tworek, Ph.D., M.P.H., K. Michael Cummings, Ph.D., M.P.H. and Richard J. O'Connor, Ph.D.

Cigarettes with candy, fruit and alcohol flavors have been introduced in recent years as extensions to popular cigarette brands, raising concerns in the public health community that the enticing names, creative packaging, and intense flavorings of these products may be especially appealing to youth. This study used two national surveys to examine the prevalence of use of Camel Exotic Blends, Kool Smooth Fusion, and Salem Silver Label brands during 2004–2005 among older adolescents and young adult smokers aged 17–26 years and adult smokers aged 25 years. Overall use of any of these flavored brands in the past 30 days was 11.9% among smokers aged 17–26 years and 6.7% among smokers aged 25 years. A significant gradient in use was seen across age, with the highest rates of utilization among 17-year-old (22.8%) and 18–19-year-old smokers (21.7%) (p<.001). Uniquely flavored cigarette brands seem to be most attractive to the youngest smokers and should be prohibited.

So their use of “three times more likely” represents 6.7% and 22.8% in real numbers. Kind of like their “using our FDA-approved NRT doubles your chances of smoking cessation”, where “doubles” = about 10%.

Nestran

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Rhode Island
Meh,
This is just a red herring. The government needs to keep up appearances to look like they do not want the youth to start smoking. Mean while they reap buko bucks from the trade.

"He look what we did! We got rid of flavored cigarettes for the children! We really do care."

Oh by the way, these represent about 1% of the market and we are also aware that Marl reds are the smoke of choice for the youth. THAT'S why they are protected by our handy new rules!

Most people start to smoke for the appearance, not the flavor and they know that. The new laws and regs keep the death sticks safe and profitable. Remove the flavors so the sheeple are happy.

Nestran

Col. Gaunt

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think that the government is doing this for some financial gain. If they would ban E-cig companies from making candy or fruit flavored liquids then they could make their own liquids using some concoction of poisonous chemicals saying that it is safer then the ones that were made and charge you what ever they wanted for them. Then we would be back to square one and using cancer causing materials. If tobacco were just left in it's natural state instead of having all these damm chemicals added to it, we would have been better off. I wish they would have had some documentation from way back when people were smoking natural tobbacco and see what the cancer rate was during that period of time.

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think that the government is doing this for some financial gain. If they would ban E-cig companies from making candy or fruit flavored liquids then they could make their own liquids using some concoction of poisonous chemicals saying that it is safer then the ones that were made and charge you what ever they wanted for them.

They already did that, except they solidified it and called it a lozenge :p

The government would never want to make or promote something that actually mimics a cigarette because its too effective. Better to keep people addicted by offering them treatments that don't work. How else are they going to fund all their pet projects?

Territoo

Diva
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jul 17, 2009
    Texas
    I wish they would have had some documentation from way back when people were smoking natural tobbacco and see what the cancer rate was during that period of time.
    !

Trouble with that, and for the same reason why tobacco wasn't such a big issue then, is that people of "way back when died of other things much sooner than they did of tobacco related deaths. Such things we don't see too much of today are industrial related accidents, infections that are now easily treated with antibiotics, illnesses for which we are now vaccinated against, and complications of childbirth.

Not too many people "way back when" lived long enough to make tobacco safety an issue.

Skeezix

Jul 1, 2009
    Is it illegal to possess them, or just to sell them?
    Seems like there must be a lot of folks who still have them sitting around the house... I know I do. Just hadn't figured out what to do with them. They aren't calling me at all... just sitting there on a shelf.

Apparently possession is illegal in W Va.

Be careful posting about having a pack sitting around lest the storm troopers bust in your door.

It's for our own good. Since flavors have been banned there are reports of roaming gangs of desperate clove crazed Cub Scouts and altar boys breaking into homes and terrorizing families for a half a pack of Djarums!

one_raven

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 10, 2009
    Menthol is not included, but supposedly they are "looking at it" - my ...!
    Cloves ARE included - which I think is absurd, since they aren't "flavored" cigarettes, you are smoking a combination of cloves and tobacco.

The whole thing is bull**** - another example of the government trying to step in and assume the role of making reparations for poor parenting.
    Make it illegal to market ads toward kids - I don't have a problem with that.
    Give steeper fines, or even remove the right of selling tobacco products, to those who sell to kids - I don't have a problem with that.
    Give fines to anyone, including parents, who give tobacco to kids - I don't have much of a problem with that.
    Banning flavored cigarettes because they supposedly appeal to kids (and adults)? That I have a very serious problem with!

Col. Gaunt

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 6, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    They already did that, except they solidified it and called it a lozenge :p

The government would never want to make or promote something that actually mimics a cigarette because its too effective. Better to keep people addicted by offering them treatments that don't work. How else are they going to fund all their pet projects?

Why does it always seem that all the good cures for serious illnesses come from Europe etc? With the "Millions" of dollars that are supposed to be poured into research each year why can't the U.S. come up with a decent drug instead of ones that wind up being recalled because they make you sicker then you were or kill you! Then the FDA won't let you take the new drugs which have been proven to work in Europe because they have to test them.. Oh yeah, that's right, our bodies work different in North America right?

Col. Gaunt

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 6, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Trouble with that, and for the same reason why tobacco wasn't such a big issue then, is that people of "way back when died of other things much sooner than they did of tobacco related deaths. Such things we don't see too much of today are industrial related accidents, infections that are now easily treated with antibiotics, illnesses for which we are now vaccinated against, and complications of childbirth.

Not too many people "way back when" lived long enough to make tobacco safety an issue.

That's true Territoo, but also remember this, back then, before these huge pharmaceutical conglomerates existed, the American Indian had discovered that mother nature had provided for the ails of mankind.

mbolack

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 20, 2009
    Tulsa
    All flavored cigarettes are imported, mostly from India. None are made by the big three tobacco companies. FDA is afraid of tackling them so they are showing that they are doing something by banning something that they do not manufacture.

Actually, Sampoerna is owned by Philip Morris. Sampoerna is one of the big clove cig manufacturers, and I believe they are in Indonesia.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread