Status
Not open for further replies.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I hope your hubby comes around, JoAnn. It is hard once you get attached to a pet but time can heal that hurt, somewhat anyway.

After having Bo, a Boerboel, we just can't "get into" any other breed. Boerboels are kind of unique. They are very large and imposing, some people see that as threatening which is fine by my. They are very gentle around their family, but if a stranger approaches the property they immediately change modes and are very aggressive. About the second week we had Bo I was walking him and he picked up a tissue or napkin someone had thrown out of their car on the way by. I didn't want him eating it so I grabbed his snout with my left hand and reached into his mouth with my right hand, telling forcefully "NO", and pulled it out. Keep in mind he had the jaw strength to amputate an arm, let alone a few fingers. He looked at me sheepishly and got petted. That was something I would never have considered with any dog I've owned previously. He never tried eating anything he encountered along the road after that, either. I can't say, for sure, if that was unique to Bo or a trait of the Boerboel generally. They have been bred to behave that way so it wasn't all that much of a surprise.

This is the puppy Bo's breeder has available -

I never really noted the paw size correlation with adult size, but that really gives substance to it. Cute little guy! Hope you decide to go for a long drive. I presume that the pup and Bo are related?

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
I hope your hubby comes around, JoAnn. It is hard once you get attached to a pet but time can heal that hurt, somewhat anyway.

After having Bo, a Boerboel, we just can't "get into" any other breed. Boerboels are kind of unique. They are very large and imposing, some people see that as threatening which is fine by my. They are very gentle around their family, but if a stranger approaches the property they immediately change modes and are very aggressive. About the second week we had Bo I was walking him and he picked up a tissue or napkin someone had thrown out of their car on the way by. I didn't want him eating it so I grabbed his snout with my left hand and reached into his mouth with my right hand, telling forcefully "NO", and pulled it out. Keep in mind he had the jaw strength to amputate an arm, let alone a few fingers. He looked at me sheepishly and got petted. That was something I would never have considered with any dog I've owned previously. He never tried eating anything he encountered along the road after that, either. I can't say, for sure, if that was unique to Bo or a trait of the Boerboel generally. They have been bred to behave that way so it wasn't all that much of a surprise.

Oh I love that pic of Bo in your avi Awsum! It truly shows how loving he was, even though I already knew that just from hearing about him and his antics!

That puppy is darling and already shows a gentle and sweet nature. Getting one that's a different color will help loving him (her) for who they are.

Spanky learned from a young age not to eat off the ground when we went for walks. I think they all can learn that as long as we are firm and consistent.

Last edited:

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
One of my ponds. It is bigger than the picture makes it look! Lol
6a2888fa9cb0cae9263a855dacd754c7.jpg

You have more than one pond? That is beautiful!!! Love the setting too. Do you have any frogs visiting? Looks like a nice place they could call home.

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I just found out that the new manager has negotiated with the owner that we can have small dogs. However, I cannot afford the $25 more a month, plus fees, and I really want a papillion-mix, which is more expensive than pure muttness. With hearing loss plus PTSD, I have to be careful that whatever I get will be useful as well as just having a dog.

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
I just found out that the new manager has negotiated with the owner that we can have small dogs. However, I cannot afford the $25 more a month, plus fees, and I really want a papillion-mix, which is more expensive than pure muttness. With hearing loss plus PTSD, I have to be careful that whatever I get will be useful as well as just having a dog.

From what I've read about Papillion, they are very intelligent and very protective of their people. Having a little mutt thrown in will only help as far as health issues are concerned.

Hope you can get a little companion to help you.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
You have more than one pond? That is beautiful!!! Love the setting too. Do you have any frogs visiting? Looks like a nice place they could call home.

I have 2 ponds like that one :) I am still in the process of cleaning the other one out, but this is it;
5156b46194a42232363d9b3cae2d48e3.jpg
we have been getting alot of rain lately so everything is muddy and wet. If you look close you can see where my Duck slides into the pond regularly...lol It normally does not look that rough.
Frogs love the pond, but they love the one i need tk clean best. I think they like hiding under the bridge at the other one :)

Last edited:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011

Just as an FYI: It is my understanding that if you are disabled and have a need for assistance from a service/assistance animal such as a dog - landlords/owner cannot charge you any extras:

"Can my landlord charge a pet fee for my service animal or assistance animal?
No. Service and assistance animals are not technically pets and owners do not have to pay pet fees. The landlord, however, can charge a security deposit and may still seek money from the tenant if there is any damage caused by the animal to the home. Also, if there is a nuisance issue the landlord does have the right to try to remove the assistance animal through legal proceedings. (The Fair Housing Act and Companion Animals)

Might - I suggest that "You" read some more about this too, especially since the article also mentions that there should not be any size limitations - It is all depending on "YOUR" NEEDS . . . Hope the information is helpful . . . ;)

Tritium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Your nearest hydrogen bomb.

It looks nice awsum! Maybe you should do it?

For anyone else about thinking the white toy poodle you might have to get a weapons license because they are actually dangerous :D

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
'moanin, Volties.

I sure hope Rave makes some progress soon! Thanks for posting, Terry. She's been in my thoughts a lot and I was wondering how she has been doing. Please let her know we're all sending her the best prayers and vibes, and miss her presence here.

Wuzz, I hope something breaks to the good side for Mrs. Wuzz and you, too. You guys are in my thoughts a lot, too.

We've both been having a hard time with the loss of Bo. I've had a lot of dogs in my life and none of them hit me like this one. I guess I'm getting to the "sentimental old fool" stage or something. He was with me24/7 and not having my shadow is kind of tuff at times. It's a little maudlin, I guess, but he's back with us, his essence at least, which has helped a little. We're thinking about getting another Boerboel, of course, but finding a good breeder in the "local" area is proving problematic. Bo's breeder moved to South Carolina but does have a male pup available. I know there will never be another Bo and a puppy can be a handful, but we're both still kind of interested.

Again, thank you all for the kind thoughts and prayers. They have helped and Bo says thanks, too.

Losing them is so hard, and my heart goes out to you and your wife. I think a puppy is a good idea :) They may be a handful, but they are such a help after losing another. I know its different for everyone. Zeus saved my Husband and I when we lost our BooBear (Ram). Zeus has no idea how much we needed him. I never thought I would get over the loss of Ram, but over time it got easier. Zeus kept my mind busy. He was a crazy puppy! Lol I still miss Ram, and he will always have a place just for him in my heart.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
Nice Duckey. Very pretty!
Thank you :) It was alot of work! Lol Its my favorite :)
This is it today:
dbbd97340a1509378770e051e08c5ede.jpg
It has been raining all last night and today. It is flowing great. The duck had him a play in it today :)
718a0eb4679eebbb4c4fb807062cd8ad.jpg
With him in it it shows its real size too. He is a ruen duck, and he is bigger than my chickens.

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US

That puppy is gorgeous and so cute!
Ram was a gentle giant too :) He was a huge baby :)

wvducklady

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
US
Guess you don't have a basement, Ducky, although it would make a nice "indoor pool". I'd kill to get some of that soil here.
Thankfully none run right behind or too close to the house! Lol I do not have a basement. We have pretty good soil here. We have a small section of clay soil above my big flower bed and down below the house on our flat. I use it to seal up my ponds :) lol

Tail11

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2012
nor cal
JoAnn, you should think about a Min Pin. They are perpetual two year olds and a forever puppy. They are busy little dogs and will keep you laughing at their antics. They are very good watch dogs because they love to talk. Read up on them first, as they are a handful and not suited for everyone. All of them have a different personality, but some of the character traits stay with the breed. You will need lots of blankets all over your couch and chairs as they love to snuggle and burrow.

Min Pins love to walk and run, so you'll always have a friend to walk with.

Hello every one, those that remember me.

JoAnnW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 19, 2012
B'more MD
JoAnn, you should think about a Min Pin. They are perpetual two year olds and a forever puppy. They are busy little dogs and will keep you laughing at their antics. They are very good watch dogs because they love to talk. Read up on them first, as they are a handful and not suited for everyone. All of them have a different personality, but some of the character traits stay with the breed. You will need lots of blankets all over your couch and chairs as they love to snuggle and burrow.

Min Pins love to walk and run, so you'll always have a friend to walk with.

Hello every one, those that remember me.

Min Pins like Piccolo seem to be lots of fun and very lovable. I'll keep that in mind. One BIG thing that I miss is my long daily walks with all my dog-walking friends. When the weather settles a bit more I still may join them... especially for the exercise. :)

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
@awsum140 I wouldn't let the distance, or much of anything else stop me from getting that pup. My Mother in Law used to ship her puppies to Germany and South America. You know you can't replace Bo but if you're used to having a dog around having a pup will at least stabilize that part of y'all s life. When we lost our first Dobie she said we shouldn't get another puppy for a while. We got one anyway and she was wrong. When the next one passed she brought over one of hers next day and told us we needed it for home security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread