Corn Glycerin question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I bought a bottle of ejuice that is 80VG/20CG. No PG in it at all. CG stands for Corn Glycerin. I can't find anything on the web about CG and I've never heard of it being used in ejuice. Does anybody know what CG is or know any other ejuice that uses it or have any info at all?

Some (hopefully accurate) info here. Be sure and read the second paragraph under 'manufacture', where it says that food-grade vegetable glycerin is 99.7% pure, with the remaining 0.3% being water.
What is Vegetable Glycerin? (with pictures)

Reactions: tmcase

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
They use wrong terminology simply... It's not glycerin they are referring to, but instead a non-petrolium-derived PG called 1.3-propanediol, either synthesized or made from corn syrup... I don't know much about this really, other than wikipedia states it seems ok for inhalation... If it's not in the USP/EP monographs(?), then food-grade is the highest quality...

Chemnovatic makes also a nicbase with VG and 1.3-propanediol instead of PG(they call 1.3-propanediol for PDO, and the base for NicBase Bio), marketed as a base for people with allergies of petrolium-substances(which PG is) and as a fully natural substitute(meaning no PG)...

1,3-Propanediol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NicBase Bio - CHEMNOVATIC

Last edited:

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
They use wrong terminology simply... It's not glycerin they are referring to, but instead a non-petrolium-derived PG called 1.3-propanediol, either synthesized or made from corn syrup... I don't know much about this really, other than wikipedia states it seems ok for inhalation... If it's not in the USP/EP monographs(?), then food-grade is the highest quality...

Chemnovatic makes also a nicbase with VG and 1.3-propanediol instead of PG(they call 1.3-propanediol for PDO, and the base for NicBase Bio), marketed as a base for people with allergies of petrolium-substances(which PG is) and as a fully natural substitute(meaning no PG)...

1,3-Propanediol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NicBase Bio - CHEMNOVATIC

Thanks for this info. :)

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Interesting reading on 1,3-propanedol...
1st - 1,3-Propanediol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Look at 'Fire Diamond' towards the bottom of the page on the right...Health Code 2 - Blue...then... 2nd, Click on the Fire Diamond for detailed explanation. Apply "2" to Health as you see fit.

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
The MSDS you linked to is just stating that it's VG and corn glucose and flavor... No mention on USP/EP grade materials... You need a COA for that... I'm guessing it's 1-3-propanediol they mean with there strange corn clucose term, but honestly don't know... They probably meant to write corn glycol, as a laymans term for it...

Chemnovatic's 1.3-propanediol is not USP/EP it seems, but food-grade, but i'm guessing there isn't listed that substance in the USP/EP monographs, so not possible, because they usually always use good quality USP/EP products for there VG, PG and nic...

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Blog - Five Pawns to introduce a new line of PG-Alternative Vapor Liquids

I'm pretty sure it's "corn glycol", as they also stated 80/20 VG/CG... Please note an USP grad isn't possible I believe. If it's safe, I will not judge, as really don't know, but since big names are using it, then it cannot be that bad atleast I would think... I'm guessing personally, that it's as safe as PG... Well, it IS practically PG but just made by starch instead of petrolium, so a naturally derived PG...

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Well I still don't know if it is any more harmful than VG or PG and since it's not specified as USP grade I guess I won't chance it until I find more info. Too bad though. The juice is really nice, sweet and smooth. :cry:

For one hint on safety, check and compare 1,3-P "Health" in the Fire Diamond to VG and PG...as found on Wikipedia.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Can you save me some time looking around and summarize for me? :blush:

Health (blue)
0 Poses no health hazard, no precautions necessary and would offer no hazard beyond that of ordinary combustible materials (e.g. wood, paper)
1 Exposure would cause irritation with only minor residual injury (e.g. acetone, sodium bromate)
2 Intense or continued but not chronic exposure could cause temporary incapacitation or possible residual injury (e.g. diethyl ether, ammonium phosphate)
3 Short exposure could cause serious, temporary or moderate residual injury (e.g. chlorine, liquid hydrogen, carbon monoxide)
4 Very short exposure could cause death or major residual injury (e.g. hydrogen cyanide, phosgene, methyl isocyanate, hydrofluoric acid)

PG = 0, VG = 1 and the rating for 1,3-P was mentioned a few posts back. Keep in mind, this is from the perspective of NFPA 704.

Beeker

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2015
Oklahoma
Vegetable oil to Bio-diesel ...Glycerin is a by product of bio-diesel production and there are millions of gallons of the stuff produced. It's usually made from soybean, palm or coconut oil but there's no reason it can't be made from corn oil and lately the bio-diesel world has turned to corn oil as it's a fast growing feed stock for bio-diesel production. Don't see why they feel the need to specify that it is Corn Glycerin though as that's a minor distinction, in my opinion, separating it from the usual "vegetable glycerin" ingredient ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread