Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
16628755738_a7538dd3b3_b.jpg

My latest Saturday evening build and man does it chuck the flavor. I am convinced that Flat .......s outdo Claptons - at least the Fused claptons that I've tried.

The coil above was made by:

01. Straightened 3 strands of A1 kanthal: of 26g, 28g, and 30g
02. Twisted 28g w/ 30g clockwise
03. Flattened the 28g/30g twisted wire
04. Reverse twisted that with 26g
05. Flattened 3 strand twisted wire
06. Wrapped that Clapton / Flat ....... style w/ 28g ribbon

Dual coil: 2mm inner diameter in Mutation X v1. .25 ohms.

That's pretty impressive! That's a lot of work, but the surface area sounds huge!

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
That's new to me - what does "flatten" mean? Hit with hammer until flat? Smash in bench vise? Back over with stepside truck?

Does it take the springy-ness out of twisted wire? When I twist 30 guage it makes decent flavor, but is a pain to work with.

I can't find the vid on YT right now, I believe bmilcs is referring to taking length of twisted wire (I suppose you could do it with a single strand) and while it is spinning in a drill you run a pair of pliers (smooth nose pliers) down the length of wire very lightly to compress the wire into a flatter state. It's much thicker than ribbon wire but it is no longer round Kanthal.

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
I can't find the vid on YT right now, I believe bmilcs is referring to taking length of twisted wire (I suppose you could do it with a single strand) and while it is spinning in a drill you run a pair of pliers (smooth nose pliers) down the length of wire very lightly to compress the wire into a flatter state. It's much thicker than ribbon wire but it is no longer round Kanthal.
Nailed it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have been playing with Nichrome 60 lately. Here is some 24 g Nichrome 60 Claptoned with some .5 ribbon Kanthal. Might be called Tiger Wire? Came in at .37 ohms. The Nichrome ramps up almost instantly. You can see some spacing in the ribbon wire in the first picture. The spacing developed when I formed the coil. The ribbon wire is layed down perfectly on the uncoiled wire and is pulled apart during the coil production.

It is built in a Derringer bottom feeder. Airholes are closed down to 2 on a single coil. Great flavor, it is producing a very sweet vape. That is, the juice I am using and use as an ADV is incredibly sweet with this build...pretty abnormal for this juice, all the other components are still there, it's just incredibly sweet. I'll have to see how it goes as the build breaks in...

y7lyu6m.jpg

3PRWZiQ.jpg

FPkCPcr.jpg

7T0OqsW.jpg

Sweet build (pun intended! lol). I think I'm going to try this one tonight after work. I wonder how it will perform with regular kanthal..

Justin Gibson

Sep 21, 2014
Ok this is the first time I've tried to build the Clapton coil and I think I done pretty damn good.. I twisted 2 strands of 30 gauge kanthall until it broke off then wrapped 32 on the outside.. It's actually pretty easy to wrap if you have a little patience.. Hope the flavor is what I expect it to be..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 627

Soignee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2014
Austin>SWFL
plus.google.com
Why the hell is my picture small? Also this coil is a 3mg nic coil I'm vaping 6 mg and damn!!!

So, I'd recommend using a service like imgur or photobucket or the like. You host your photo to that site and then link the photo to ECF...they come out nice and big. You may need to do some editing though...some of my pics are in the 3000 pixel range and I need to scale them down to the 700 pixel range to get them to play nice with ECF...

You might want to try googling how do I host my photos at an online forum and see if there are some easy answers there! :)

Hope that helps.

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
If you're flavor chasing and using an unregulated device, you'll never get the results you can with a regulated mod. With a good regulated mod using a DNA or YiHi chip, you just make a build reasonably close, fine tune the wattage or voltage to where it produces the temperature needed to produce the best taste and enjoy it all day long with little fuss.

Unregulated, you'll have to try many builds to figure out the sweet spot with a particular juice, then once you're dialed in as close as you can get, you're left with power delivered to the coils constantly drifting down slightly with every button press, only left with airflow (if you're RDA/RTA has the option) as the only thing you can use to control the vape. For most simple flavors that kind of blunt approach is fine, but for complex flavors it just doesn't cut it.

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
If you're flavor chasing and using an unregulated device, you'll never get the results you can with a regulated mod. With a good regulated mod using a DNA or YiHi chip, you just make a build reasonably close, fine tune the wattage or voltage to where it produces the temperature needed to produce the best taste and enjoy it all day long with little fuss.

Unregulated, you'll have to try many builds to figure out the sweet spot with a particular juice, then once you're dialed in as close as you can get, you're left with power delivered to the coils constantly drifting down slightly with every button press, only left with airflow (if you're RDA/RTA has the option) as the only thing you can use to control the vape. For most simple flavors that kind of blunt approach is fine, but for complex flavors it just doesn't cut it.

I don't have any problem getting excellent flavor in an unregulated device with complex flavors. Voltage drop can be minimized with basic knowledge.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I just got the Mx v3. Wow! I was missing out on single coils. I threw in a 28g twisted / 28g ribbon tiger coil parallel with twisted / straightened twisted 26g. Yowza. Flavor city.
I have a Mutation X V3 as well, mine is the VaporDNA Project Sub-Ohm version. I have tried it with single, dual, twisted and parallel coils from 28g to 24g. I have wicked it with Japanese cotton and Rayon. Compared to my Origen V2 with a regular dual 26g coil setup, I might just as well vape flavorless in the Mutation... I even get better flavor from my CCI Militia and it is the 6 hole version.

I think there is way too much airflow for the deck size on the Mutation (even on one row of holes) to provide the same amazing flavor that the Origen can generate. I have tried a few Clapton builds on the Mutation and the ramp up time and heat retention was just not for me, let alone the time required to build the coil.

There are a pile of amazing looking coils out there with insane levels of craftsmanship to put together. I believe a lot of those coils are just for the looks, they provide great photos and YouTube hits IMHO.

I like a serviceable coil that I can quickly put together and wick in less than 15 minutes and regular coils on the Origen provide the amazing flavor I know and love. :vapor:
NTndPuy.jpg

As a side note, 24g and a Kayfun do not mix... :D
R23LwWK.jpg

Great thread bmilcs!
Enjoy what works for you by all means, I just wanted to share my experience with the Mutation and flavor.
:toast:

whosrandy

ECF Veteran
Aug 23, 2013
I have a Mutation X V3 as well, mine is the VaporDNA Project Sub-Ohm version. I have tried it with single, dual, twisted and parallel coils from 28g to 24g. I have wicked it with Japanese cotton and Rayon. Compared to my Origen V2 with a regular dual 26g coil setup, I might just as well vape flavorless in the Mutation... I even get better flavor from my CCI Militia and it is the 6 hole version.

I think there is way too much airflow for the deck size on the Mutation (even on one row of holes) to provide the same amazing flavor that the Origen can generate. I have tried a few Clapton builds on the Mutation and the ramp up time and heat retention was just not for me, let alone the time required to build the coil.

There are a pile of amazing looking coils out there with insane levels of craftsmanship to put together. I believe a lot of those coils are just for the looks, they provide great photos and YouTube hits IMHO.

I like a serviceable coil that I can quickly put together and wick in less than 15 minutes and regular coils on the Origen provide the amazing flavor I know and love. :vapor:
NTndPuy.jpg

As a side note, 24g and a Kayfun do not mix... :D
R23LwWK.jpg

Great thread bmilcs!
Enjoy what works for you by all means, I just wanted to share my experience with the Mutation and flavor.
:toast:
I can understand that. Condensed chamber increases flavor but it puts a cap on how powerful you can run it. In order to get flavor out of an airy rda, you need to put some rocket boosters on it. Coil positioning and wick placement is crucial. I'm running a single coil on the V3 that is theoretically putting out 100w+ with 9 holes open on one side. A total of 6 strands of variatious kanthal sizes were used, resulting in a ton of nooks and crannies for juice to hide in resulting in bursts of thick vapor.

I wasn't a believer in claptons until I found a style that suited me. What kinda clapton did you make?

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I can understand that. Condensed chamber increases flavor but it puts a cap on how powerful you can run it. In order to get flavor out of an airy rda, you need to put some rocket boosters on it. Coil positioning and wick placement is crucial. I'm running a single coil on the V3 that is theoretically putting out 100w+ with 9 holes open on one side. A total of 6 strands of variatious kanthal sizes were used, resulting in a ton of nooks and crannies for juice to hide in resulting in bursts of thick vapor.

I wasn't a believer in claptons until I found a style that suited me. What kinda clapton did you make?

I have an IPV2s so I am limited with the power as its has only one battery. I am not really a fan of a very hot vape so that could have a little to do with it as well.
I have a CCI Acrylic mechanical box coming in later on which has 2 18650's in parallel so I will retry the Mut with a low build when it arrives.

The Clapton I built was nothing special or complicated, it was just a twisted pair of 26g wrapped in 30g. I only have 24, 26, 28 and 30g wire at the moment so I should possibly pick up some 32 or 34g to try on a Clapton. I hear ribbon is good as well for flavor, so I should try some of it as well. :)

Mike 586

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2014
Ottawa
I don't have any problem getting excellent flavor in an unregulated device with complex flavors. Voltage drop can be minimized with basic knowledge.

You're not getting what I'm saying. Anyway, the only thing voltage drop affects is the efficiency of your build or in practical terms battery life. That's it.

What I'm talking about is that every single time you press that button, you're depleting your battery a little, every subsequent time you press that button, as your battery drains, your battery is delivering slightly less voltage. From a fresh battery to a near depleted battery you're looking at a noticeably different vape.

The best you can possibly hope for is to get close for a little while from the high side, hit the target, then stay reasonably close for a while on the low side as the battery drains. Good electronics 100% overcome that downside of batteries and if I'm flavor chasing, control is (IMHO) essential to get the most out of a juice, something unregulated devices are simply not capable of.

They're just the wrong tool for the job. I've got nothing against running unregulated devices, but you just have to understand their limitations and how they operate and decide if it suits the purpose. For the most part, they work fine with most of the juices I have, 10% drift from high to low isn't that big a deal. But when I'm after getting the best flavor I can get out of a juice, or I'm using a juice that has a narrow band where it just pops, they just aren't even a consideration.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
dual parallel, one strand nichrome one kanthal and even dif gauge is vgood and doing the same but 'fused clapton'&'stagged' is good cus it lights up quicker than a normal clapton.
And doing the same with dif two wires but with ribbon wrapped over the top is mighty fine also ;)

edit: i believe that wicking has a whole lot to do with how well your coils vape, reason i say this is that i have a dual 3 wrap 22g 9/64id on my mech and it tastes as good as anything else i've tried on mech or reg mod.
i know i keep mentioning this guy but Yosh vapergate has a vid on ytube titled something like wick and wicking technique, i use near enuff the same as he is doing and sometimes dont even sit the wick or rayon down onto the deck, i just leave it suspended halfway up the atty so as to restrict where the air is going.
the wick feeds the coils really fast, i only started using this technique since going to sub 0.2 ohm builds so cant say how it will perfom on the slightly cooler vapes but im sure a drop in id would help

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread