Guide to DIY Flavoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
i have onyl made one batch of liquid made from TPA and i made it at 10% flavoring, and it is very weak, i can taste it but i think its pretty weak, i used the cherry and cheesecake together. i wish there was a better knowing of the TPA flavoring so i could really figure out how much to use, because im so new to this still

I made a batch last night with the EM and some PG/VG (80/20) I put *about* 1/8 tsp of EM in *about* 4ml of PG/VG. It wasn't exact, because I didn't have the correct measuring tools. However, I took the glass mixing bottle and put it in a little baby food jar, heated up some water in my tea kettle, and poured the (almost) boiling water into the jar. It disolved instantly, I shook it good, and added about 2 drops of the EM mix to about 20 drops of the PG/VG and 10 drops of straight VG. Vapes ok, tastes great. (don't have any nic yet, so I vaped it 0nic)
You may want to add more drops (if it's too weak) or make a stronger EM batch.

darrts

Feb 16, 2010
NH
Thanks PUREVAPOR for starting this post and all the great info at the beginning....
I'm 3 months analog free after 30+ years smoking after trying EVERYTHING! short of wiring my mouth shut!!!
So now I'm getting in to DIY a little and boy do I agree with a previous poster.. be careful with Tasty Puff's ROOT BEER.. it is WICKED WICKED strong.. I swear my taste buds were recovering nicely until I did a 15-20% mix with that actually felt like it burned them!...it also took forever to get out of my 510 atomizer and I just threw the Vapor King cart away LOL...
So...I need some help from my fellow NEW HAMPSHIRE vapors out there...
WERE can I find lorann oils at a RETAIL store in NH? Any help?
(I know I can get them online but want them in a day or two...

Thanks and God Bless vaping and you guys for saving me a few more years with my grandsons!!

SMOKE FREE AT LAST...SMOKE FREE AT LAST....
THANK GOD ALMIGHTY I'M SMOKE FREE AT LAST!!!

.:thumbs:

Lilibet

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2010
Virginia
i have onyl made one batch of liquid made from TPA and i made it at 10% flavoring, and it is very weak, i can taste it but i think its pretty weak, i used the cherry and cheesecake together. i wish there was a better knowing of the TPA flavoring so i could really figure out how much to use, because im so new to this still
Just use the %'s in the guide, and one of the calculators. If it's weak, let is sit for a day, shake it every once in a while if possible. If it's still weak the next day up the flavor a bit and let it sit again. Also, I've heard the cheesecake is not very good.

Updated and added stuff, and made some cosmetic improvements.
I recently received my order from PA and have only had a chance to try a few so far. I also made the cherry cheesecake; I started out with about 5% of each. The next day, while I could taste the cherry, I wasn't tasting much of the cheesecake so I added a few more drops. Then I felt that the cherry got lost so I added a little more. The next day, I wound up with a delicious cherry mixture which I'm vaping and enjoying now. The cheesecake is definitely not very assertive, though.

I also tried the bacon at about 8%. It's a knockout and I love it. I enjoy drinking an occasional Bloody Mary and love tomato juice in general and I was looking for something savory to vape while drinking it. Linda's bacon which I may pair with Flavour Art's tomato at some point, hits the spot.

darrts

Feb 16, 2010
NH
Hope to get some help here...:confused::confused::confused:
Does anyone know for sure which company's flavorings V4L's Pineapple juice is made from? Or which would you guess? They only have it in 5ml bottles and I can never order enough....I am trying some DIY so I figured I'd try and mix some...and maybe add some coconut to it also...

FOR NH DIY'ers... I found lorann oils at a RETAIL store in NH... it's in Hooksett.. sorry.. I forgot to write the name down but they are the ONLY Cake/candy making supplier in the Phone book...I'll post it tomorrow.....Only $1.69 a dram and a LARGE selection... good for when you don't want to wait or only want one or two and want to save the S&H...... God Bless....

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
Thanks for the info Lili, I'll add it soon. I just ordered a bunch of PA flavors including the Red Hots. I also recently made Black Cherry Cheesecake using LorAnn Cheesecake and PA Black Cherry and Graham Cracker. It turned out great but then I had to order some more Black Cherry since I gave mine away on the Pay It Forward thread 8-o (check it out if you haven't, great place to get new stuff and give away stuff you don't use!).

Hope to get some help here...:confused::confused::confused:
Does anyone know for sure which company's flavorings V4L's Pineapple juice is made from? Or which would you guess? They only have it in 5ml bottles and I can never order enough....I am trying some DIY so I figured I'd try and mix some...and maybe add some coconut to it also..

I would guess FlavourArt, but it could be something else like Bickford's or Faerie's Finest as they don't say anything about where their flavors come from.

leannebug

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
the deep south
Thanks PUREVAPOR for starting this post and all the great info at the beginning....
<snip>
So...I need some help from my fellow NEW HAMPSHIRE vapors out there...
WERE can I find lorann oils at a RETAIL store in NH? Any help?
(I know I can get them online but want them in a day or two...

<snip>

.:thumbs:

I can't say for sure about NH, but I have found it at the following stores: Walmart, Michaels, Joanns.

Check around for a large retail craft store or major chain that has a craft section. IE: Hobby Lobby- I heard has it too.

best of luck!

Nikhil

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2010
Louisville, KY
I haven't used their liquid but I'm fairly sure the nicotine in their standard unflavored e-liquid is from China, whereas the nicotine in the Platinum Ice line is manufactured in the UK and is pharmaceutical grade according to UK standards. It sounds great, but around 99% of vapers use Chinese nicotine so personally I don't think it's worth it unless you're in the UK.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I was thinking of trying to make my own flavored e-juice and on Totally Wicked they have Un-Flavored E-liquid and Mixing Juice

What is the difference between the Platinum Ice 54mg Mixing Juice and Totally Wicked 36mg Un-Flavored E-liquid? (besides the strength of the nicotine and the price:confused:)
Totally Wicked does not ship to Canada, nothing, not even parts.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
But we can still get it from Canadian suppliers?...I just ordered from electronic-cigz and from tasty vapor without issue.
Please google electronic cigarettes Canada.

The import, export and sale of electronic cigarettes is prohibited in the US and Customs have once again the right to seize any packages they deem to contain e cig associated material/product. Now whilst Health Canada follows closely behind FDA recommendations, it has only prohibited the impost, export and sales of juice, because nicotine is a controlled substance. It is illegal... there was a stay on the ban of imports and exports into the US, that stay was over turned 2 weeks ago.

IMHO folks need to start getting themselves informed of what is going on out there, and start reading the "news" sub forums for developments.

The long and the short of it, its prohibition of the 21st century.

Please google electronic cigarettes Canada.

The import, export and sale of electronic cigarettes is prohibited in the US and Customs have once again the right to seize any packages they deem to contain e cig associated material/product. Now whilst Health Canada follows closely behind FDA recommendations, it has only prohibited the impost, export and sales of juice, because nicotine is a controlled substance. It is illegal... there was a stay on the ban of imports and exports into the US, that stay was over turned 2 weeks ago.

IMHO folks need to start getting themselves informed of what is going on out there, and start reading the "news" sub forums for developments.

The long and the short of it, its prohibition of the 21st century.

I have googled this and I can`t find anywhere where it says it is banned, the most recent thing on Health Canada`s site is from March of 2009 where they àsked`sellers not to import e-cigs.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Although we are here to support each other, it helps to help one self and not depend on the research of others. This is widely known fact and why you are unaware of this is beyond my comprehension.

The health effects of using electronic cigarettes are currently unknown. Some electronic cigarette companies claim that the harmful material produced by the combustion of tobacco in traditional cigarettes is not present in the atomized liquid of electronic cigarettes. Some have also marketed electronic cigarettes as a way to curtail an addiction to nicotine, although international health organizations have stated they may not be marketed as a cessation device.Despite these claims, a number of regulatory agencies have issued warnings regarding the health effects of these products. The recently formed Electronic Cigarette Association aims to eliminate unsubstantiated health claims made by electronic cigarette companies, and those companies that wish to participate in the association must agree to refrain from making such claims.In a recent online survey from November 2009 among 303 smokers, it was found that e-cigarette substitution for tobacco cigarettes resulted in perceived health benefits (less cough, higher ability to do exercise, and a better sense of taste and smell).
Various findings Food and Drug Administration (USA)

In May 2009, the US FDA’s Division of Pharmaceutical Analysis tested the contents of cartridges by two vendors. Trace amounts (detectable, but not measurable) of diethylene glycol (also found in cigarette smoke) were found in one of the eighteen cartridges. In addition, tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs) were detected in some of the cartridges tested which used tobacco flavoring. Further concerns were raised over inconsistent amounts of nicotine delivered when drawing on the device. In July 2009, the FDA issued a press release discouraging the use of electronic cigarettes and repeating previously stated concerns that electronic cigarettes may be marketed to young people and lack appropriate health warnings.

The FDA’s May 2009 study was reviewed in July 2009 by scientific consulting firm Exponent, Inc., in a report commissioned by the manufacturer of one of the electronic cigarettes tested by the FDA. Some of the criticisms in Exponent’s report are poor standards of documentation and analysis and failure to perform relevant comparisons to FDA-approved nicotine replacement therapy products, which Exponent claims contain TSNA levels comparable to those of e-cigarettes. The study concludes that the FDA’s claims of potential adverse health effects were not supported by the study.
Health Canada

On March 27, 2009, Health Canada issued an advisory against electronic cigarettes. The advisory stated “Although these electronic smoking products may be marketed as a safer alternative to conventional tobacco products and, in some cases, as an aid to quitting smoking, electronic smoking products may pose risks such as nicotine poisoning and addiction.”
World Health Organization

The World Health Organization proclaimed in September 2008 that it does not consider the electronic cigarette to be a legitimate smoking cessation aid, and demanded that marketers immediately remove from their materials any suggestions that the WHO considers electronic cigarettes safe and effective.The WHO states that to its knowledge, “no rigorous, peer-reviewed studies have been conducted showing that the electronic cigarette is a safe and effective nicotine replacement therapy. WHO does not discount the possibility that the electronic cigarette could be useful as a smoking cessation aid.” WHO Tobacco Free Initiative director ad interim Douglas Bettcher states, “If the marketers of the electronic cigarette want to help smokers quit, then they need to conduct clinical studies and toxicity analyses and operate within the proper regulatory framework. Until they do that, WHO cannot consider the electronic cigarette to be an appropriate nicotine replacement therapy, and it certainly cannot accept false suggestions that it has approved and endorsed the product.”
Health New Zealand

The presence of trace amounts of TSNAs in electronic cigarette vapor was previously documented in an analysis done by the Health New Zealand medical journal in October 2008. However, unlike the FDA study, the Health New Zealand study conducted detailed quantitative analysis and concluded that carcinogens and toxicants are present only below harmful levels. Overall, the product tested was deemed a “safe alternative to smoking.”
Legal status by region

Because of the relative novelty of the technology and the possible relationship to tobacco laws and medical drug policies, electronic cigarette legislation and public health investigations are currently pending in many countries.

* In Australia, the sale of electronic cigarettes containing nicotine is illegal.
* In Brazil electronic cigarettes sales, importation or advertisement of any kind are forbidden. Anvisa, the Brazilian health and sanitation federal agency, found the current health safety assessments about e-cigarettes not to be yet satisfactory to make the product eligible to be approved for commercialization.
* In Canada, as of March 2009, imports, sales, and advertising are banned. In March 2009, Health Canada also advised Canadians not to purchase or use any electronic smoking products. Health Canada cited the Food and Drugs Act, stating that electronic smoking products containing nicotine require market authorization before they can be imported, marketed, or sold. No market authorization has been granted for any electronic smoking product.
* In Denmark, the Danish Medicines Agency classifies electronic cigarettes containing nicotine as medicinal products. Thus, authorization is required from the retailer before the product may be marketed and sold. The agency has clarified, however, that electronic cigarettes that do not administer nicotine to the user, and are not otherwise used for the prevention or treatment of disease, are not considered medicinal devices. The use of electronic cigarettes has not been prohibited in Copenhagen Airport, but at least one airline (Scandinavian Airlines) has decided to ban their use on board flights.
* In Netherlands, use and sale of electronic cigarettes is allowed, but advertising is forbidden pending European Union legislation.
* In New Zealand, the Ministry of Health has ruled that the Ruyan e-cigarette falls under the requirements of the Medicines Act, and cannot be sold except as a registered medicine.
* In Panama, importation, distribution and sale has been prohibited since June 2009. The Ministry of Health cites the FDA findings as their reason for the ban.
* In Singapore, the sale and import of electronic cigarettes, even for personal consumption, is illegal.
* In United Kingdom, use and sale of electronic cigarettes is currently unrestricted, although the MHRA has proposed bringing all nicotine products except tobacco within the medicines licensing regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread