Heather's Heavenly Vapes - THE BIG THREAD (Part 6)

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
FYI... The juice will loosen the black coating on the Artisan Reserve bottles causing it to come off. Me thinks the threads and top of the bottle shouldn't be coated. Just had to wipe the threads off and will keep an eye on the dropper so I don't get any flakes in the rda.

ummmm errrr... uhhh.. whats the name of that juice??? ;)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
You know, I think that some of these tech advancements actually make life worse.

I discovered today (after more than 1+ years) that my internet modem is also wi-fi capable. So I reattached stuff from my wi-fi router to my modem so I could eliminate my router. This meant I had to reconnect all my devices to the new wi-fi on the modem. Did two laptops...no problem. Tried the Kindle and it wouldn't work. After about an hour of gymnastics, it turns out you use a different code for a Kindle. The laptops are WPS-capable, the Kindle is not. Therefore, they use different access codes.

Who thinks up this crap!!!

woita

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Ohio
Hey Woita...everything good by you after that nutjob went off at that McDonalds?

Thx for asking.

Everything's all right with me. Been at a (base-)ballgame (yeah, we have those) when the news broke and it was kinda scary being just an hour away and no one knew what was going on.

So sad for everyone dead and injured, but it looks like it was "just" some lone idiot atm and not a big attack going on here.

PS: I know the place well and been there many times when I was a teenager. Munich was the closest and biggest city to go to (by train) from where I grew up.

woita

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Ohio
Who thinks up this crap!!!
I do :D (just to tease you)

actual explanation: different (generations of authorization/encryption) technologies, Kindle sucks if it doesn't support WPS. Say thanks to Amazon for your wasted time :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I do :D (just to tease you)

actual explanation: different (generations of authorization/encryption) technologies, Kindle sucks if it doesn't support WPS. Say thanks to Amazon for your wasted time :)
Well, that was my guess too. The Kindle is a little older (and inexpensive relative to a laptop) so it was using older technology. Whatever. Still aggravates me that it is not made obvious what code is to be used. The Kindle prompt asks for a password and you use the "Pre-Shared Key" on the modem. Why can't they just use the same terminology? In my world, "password" is not the same as "Pre-Shared Key". If there ever was an industry that needed more standardization it would be the tech industry. And make it user friendly for us users...for once! What really threw me was the PIN code on the modem worked for the laptops so I figured there was only one code for everything. NOT!

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Thx for asking.

Everything's all right with me. Been at a (base-)ballgame (yeah, we have those) when the news broke and it was kinda scary being just an hour away and no one knew what was going on.

So sad for everyone dead and injured, but it looks like it was "just" some lone idiot atm and not a big attack going on here.

PS: I know the place well and been there many times when I was a teenager. Munich was the closest and biggest city to go to (by train) from where I grew up.
There's a lot of kooks in the world.

woita

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Ohio
Well, that was my guess too. The Kindle is a little older (and inexpensive relative to a laptop) so it was using older technology. Whatever. Still aggravates me that it is not made obvious what code is to be used. The Kindle prompt asks for a password and you use the "Pre-Shared Key" on the modem. Why can't they just use the same terminology? In my world, "password" is not the same as "Pre-Shared Key". If there ever was an industry that needed more standardization it would be the tech industry. And make it user friendly for us users...for once! What really threw me was the PIN code on the modem worked for the laptops so I figured there was only one code for everything. NOT!
I understand that confusion. Never used WPS (and "PIN" style authentication) myself since I'm old-school and always use that password (== key) that I have personally set on anything.
"pre-shared" just means that it's the one they pre-set for you (and printed on the label); you should be able (and it's more secure to do so, for one because it's not on the label) to change it to anything you like in your router/modem/wifi-access-point-settings.
but yeah, key and password are different words that often mean the same in the IT world.
sorry 'bout that, open/loose standards is what drives us. what PR makes of it (PINs, keys, passwords) is beyond our influence. would be better to just educate people more, but they usually never read the manual if we try to - maybe again, because of our language :D

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I understand that confusion. Never used WPS (and "PIN" style authentication) myself since I'm old-school and always use that password (== key) that I have personally set on anything.
"pre-shared" just means that it's the one they pre-set for you (and printed on the label); you should be able (and it's more secure to do so, for one because it's not on the label) to change it to anything you like in your router/modem/wifi-access-point-settings.
but yeah, key and password are different words that often mean the same in the IT world.
sorry 'bout that, open/loose standards is what drives us. what PR makes of it (PINs, keys, passwords) is beyond our influence. would be better to just educate people more, but they usually never read the manual if we try to - maybe again, because of our language :D
Maybe if the modem said, "USE THIS CODE IF YOUR DEVICE IS WPS-CAPABLE AND USE THIS CODE IF IT IS NOT" and when you pull up the connection on the device if it said "THIS DEVICE IS NOT WPS-CAPABLE" then it would make life so much easier.

Not sure how it works in Bavaria, but in the states we have to dial a '1' first if we are calling a different area code. If you forget, the robot gal says, "You must dial '1' before you enter the area code and phone number. Please hang up and try again". I got to thinking, if they knew I meant to dial a '1', why don't they just do it for me instead of making me hang up and try again?

Another thing that bugs me is a vending machine that thanks me for my purchase. Saying thank you is an expression of emotion between human beings not machines.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Can't like that, but unfortunately yes. Seems like everyone angered just grabs a gun and goes loco nowadays.
Now they are saying this kook was a German-Iranian. Some witnesses are saying he was yelling Allah Akbuhr (however it is spelled).

woita

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Ohio
Maybe if the modem said, "USE THIS CODE IF YOUR DEVICE IS WPS-CAPABLE AND USE THIS CODE IF IT IS NOT" and when you pull up the connection on the device if it said "THIS DEVICE IS NOT WPS-CAPABLE" then it would make life so much easier.

That's what I'ld put on my products and I would expect people to know what WPS and not-WPS (i.e. WPA) is. But as I said, PR. Pro'lly peer testing turned out that no one read beyond "USE THIS" :/

Not sure how it works in Bavaria, but in the states we have to dial a '1' first if we are calling a different area code. If you forget, the robot gal says, "You must dial '1' before you enter the area code and phone number. Please hang up and try again". I got to thinking, if they knew I meant to dial a '1', why don't they just do it for me instead of making me hang up and try again?

Encountered this in the US and wondered the same thing. Why would "she" not just connect me if she knew the number I wanted to call....

Another thing that bugs me is a vending machine that thanks me for my purchase. Saying thank you is an expression of emotion between human beings not machines.

... I said "she". Many people tend to humanify machines. Most basic feeling machines get is aggression if things don't work out. That's a a given, no one had to put work in creating that feeling towards a machine :D
Human interface designers now try to create positive feelings by making machines say "Thank you" and such.
Worth a try :)

Sometimes I think that all developers think that their idea is going to BE the new standard and that everyone should follow them.

Of course. What better standard _could_ _there_ _be_. And that world would be crazy not to adopt it .... :D

Now they are saying this kook was a German-Iranian. Some witnesses are saying he was yelling Allah Akbuhr (however it is spelled).

Heard that too, switching back and forth between CNN and local TV.
I also heard "him" (if that guy on top of that parking lot roof video was the attacker) talk to the police. that language and tone was so darn native Bavarian that he at least had to be raised or been naturalized here for a long time.
so sad

DavidOH

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2013
Ohio
Little update on the Double Trouble saga. Decided to play it safe. So I poured the rest of the juice into a clear dropper bottle I have. Turns out there was more in than I thought. Anyway, there was 3 small flakes in it that I was able to remove with the dropper. Now I feel better about using the rest of it.;)

Users who are viewing this thread