Merlin by Augvape and Roxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthropolyte

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2016
Bristol, UK
Built and working fine. Had a bit of an issue initially with it shorting, but that was probably more to do with my VTC's ....ty 510. Only perceptible differences are that the logo is no longer central, and that the AFC is slightly tighter. Not bad!

Also because I hastily ordered another, I'll have a matching black one tomorrow... Whoops.

GarfieldDC

ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2013
india
85ac234e7643af8a18d9805a593fde29.jpg

Finally got my Merlin. It came with a clear and a tinted glass tank in the box. Put in a SS316L 26 gauge build which came out to 0.68 ohms. Running it with the airflow reducer installed. Its a nice vape with good flavor. But AF is too restricted for me. Will try it with the AF reducer off after I get home.

Reactions: TrollDragon

alexmot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2015
Louisiana, USA
On the one I plan on taking apart the 510 screw and threads are stripped. It is useless because of this.
Here's a pic of something that didn't work. I beat the crap out of it with a hammer cushioned with a piece of wood. Didn't budge. And still doesn't leak a drop. [emoji1]

37e331e165b2ffe59699797c92bac162.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Major911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Grand Island, FL, USA
Vape Mail! Just got 2 more merlins today. Both SS yet the spare glass is tinted [emoji53] oh well have to break out the razor blade again. Lol. One of them is the old style deck with round juice ports like my other two and the other one is the new oval juice ports. I never had any wicking issues with the old ones anyone able to comment on comparison with the new style?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Here's a pic of something that didn't work. I beat the crap out of it with a hammer cushioned with a piece of wood. Didn't budge. And still doesn't leak a drop. [emoji1]

37e331e165b2ffe59699797c92bac162.jpg

Any other ideas to get that ring off??? There has to be a way to take it apart...

alexmot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2015
Louisiana, USA
Any other ideas to get that ring off??? There has to be a way to take it apart...

Here's what worked for me, finally.

1) remove all user serviceable parts from the base - 510 pin, positive post, positive post insulator.

2) wrap duct tape around a pair of vice grips and grab the merlin by the JFC ring (the knurled ring above the JFC ring)

3) place a blunt object slightly larger than the air flow hole over the air flow hole (or air flow tube, I guess -- the threaded pipe looking thing)

4) smack the blunt object firmly with a hammer. maybe twice.

vice.jpg

If successful, the base will explode into these 5 pieces.

pieces.jpg

Here is the magic o-ring that all the kids are talking about these days (excuse the grubby fingers please -- was fixing my weed wacker before this).

oring.jpg

And an interesting little nub that acts as the "stopper" for the JFC ring. There's a reciprocal groove in the AFC ring where this goes.

nub.jpg

On thing that is NOT pictured is what appears to be a channel that could possibly hold on oring on the underside of the JFC ring (the one with the visible oring).

After reassembling, the only thing I notice is that the JFC is a little more loose than before and that the draw has tightened up just a bit with the AFC completely closed (still not a super tight draw).

I'd be interested to see if others have an oring in that mystery channel. I measured it (and the one on the inside) but forgot to write them down. I think it was 16ODx1.0 and 18OD x 1.0. I won't even quote myself on that.

Last edited:

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I destroyed my Merlin last night :( mod slipped off the top of a pile of stuff I was carrying (I know, I know) and hit a stone floor from shoulder height, landing on the drip tip. The glass amazingly survived, as did the mod, but the tank body split away from the 510 base. Won't press back in. New one on the way...

Sorry, I can't "Like" that post. :cry:

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Here's what worked for me, finally.

1) remove all user serviceable parts from the base - 510 pin, positive post, positive post insulator.

2) wrap duct tape around a pair of vice grips and grab the merlin by the JFC ring (the knurled ring above the JFC ring)

3) place a blunt object slightly larger than the air flow hole over the air flow hole (or air flow tube, I guess -- the threaded pipe looking thing)

4) smack the blunt object firmly with a hammer. maybe twice.

View attachment 572709

If successful, the base will explode into these 5 pieces.

View attachment 572711

Here is the magic o-ring that all the kids are talking about these days (excuse the grubby fingers please -- was fixing my weed wacker before this).

View attachment 572715

And an interesting little nub that acts as the "stopper" for the JFC ring. There's a reciprocal groove in the AFC ring where this goes.

View attachment 572717

On thing that is NOT pictured is what appears to be a channel that could possibly hold on oring on the underside of the JFC ring (the one with the visible oring).

After reassembling, the only thing I notice is that the JFC is a little more loose than before and that the draw has tightened up just a bit with the AFC completely closed (still not a super tight draw).

I'd be interested to see if others have an oring in that mystery channel. I measured it (and the one on the inside) but forgot to write them down. I think it was 16ODx1.0 and 18OD x 1.0. I won't even quote myself on that.
How do you remove the positive post?

alexmot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2015
Louisiana, USA
How do you remove the positive post?
It's threaded onto the air flow tube. I used a small screw driver wedged into the air flow tube to unscrew it - being careful not to abuse the threads where the airflow restrictor screws in.

I broke it down once more to get a better look at the "missing" oring. Its there but its clear and seemingly filly recessed in the channel so I missed it.

On the second breakdown I simply removed the positive pin and insulator and popped the entire deck assembly off by inserting a small screwdriver into the 510 pin hole and tapping it. Again, holding the Merlin by the afc ring.

If you can't remove the 510 pin you might try pushing a small nail through the air flow holes and through the hole in the airflow tube to stabilize it. The hole is at the top to allow air to flow into the airflow tube.

Here's a pic of the "missing" oring. I may see if I have a slightly thicker one to see if it tightens up my draw a bit. Although I'm pretty sure now that most of my extra air is coming from the portion of the afc assembly that has the little nub.

66ab294cee9557c4ddb54c065f46628f.jpg

Joe KY

Verified Member
Aug 20, 2014
Kentucky
If anyone is interested or keeping track. Vape Mail arrived today with my second SS Merlin. This one I ordered from eciggity. It has both oval holes on the juice control, base and chimney section. Also, the spare glass was tinted. My first SS Merlin, from STS, came with an oval hole in the deck and a round hole on the chimney. The spare glass with it was clear. Don't have time to play with it now, getting ready to start a set of nights. Maybe tomorrow after I get up.

madLyfe

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2013
United States
If anyone is interested or keeping track. Vape Mail arrived today with my second SS Merlin. This one I ordered from eciggity. It has both oval holes on the juice control, base and chimney section. Also, the spare glass was tinted. My first SS Merlin, from STS, came with an oval hole in the deck and a round hole on the chimney. The spare glass with it was clear. Don't have time to play with it now, getting ready to start a set of nights. Maybe tomorrow after I get up.
wondering if anyone has recently got a black one from eciggity with the newer JFC holes and what its glass options are like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread