Status
Not open for further replies.

DP2Raja

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2012
New Mexico
OK, got the SS Merlin V2 in today from FT. This thing is sweet. I have the V1 as well. They pretty much vape exactly the same. The base on this one is perfect. No leaking. Easy adjust on AFC and a good tight JFC, but turns without a problem. Running a 3.2 ID Tigerwire coil at 0.42 ohms. 35 watts. Beautiful vape. Great flavor.
All the machining is perfect, glass fits perfect and had nice smooth edges. I put the smoked glass on and can see the JFC openings just fine. On my black V1 it was hard to see with the dark juice I use. Put the clear glass on my black one and it looks great. Even better looking than the smoked glass on it.

disley

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
Australia
OK, got the SS Merlin V2 in today from FT. This thing is sweet. I have the V1 as well. They pretty much vape exactly the same. The base on this one is perfect. No leaking. Easy adjust on AFC and a good tight JFC, but turns without a problem. Running a 3.2 ID Tigerwire coil at 0.42 ohms. 35 watts. Beautiful vape. Great flavor.
All the machining is perfect, glass fits perfect and had nice smooth edges. I put the smoked glass on and can see the JFC openings just fine. On my black V1 it was hard to see with the dark juice I use. Put the clear glass on my black one and it looks great. Even better looking than the smoked glass on it.
Mines a similar build, .46ohm alien wire coil, 35watts.
A great vape, no leaks and all the parts move as they should.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Took my 2 apart today and the only thing I could think of doing was stuff some tin foil inside the air chamber. It was very easy to take apart. Just a few taps and they fell apart.

Might try making a plug out of delrin that will fit better.

Also put a thicker oring under the air control ring making it very snug.

Jim-

GCS E (1) + V (1) + M (1) = 3
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Los Angeles County, Ca. USA
Took my 2 apart today and the only thing I could think of doing was stuff some tin foil inside the air chamber. It was very easy to take apart. Just a few taps and they fell apart.

Might try making a plug out of delrin that will fit better.

Also put a thicker oring under the air control ring making it very snug.

I had pretty good luck just inserting a kanthal coil into the tube. I posted the size somewhere a few pages back I think.

Sent with my communicator by Tapatalk[emoji92]

janne303

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2014
Sweden
what is the provided drip tip called? I need to buy a few to my other tanks :D:D Im in love haha

fdbc22e3adcbd34b8bedb637f51866d8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TrollDragon

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
Tore apart my messed up base that my SS Merlin shipped with, used a punch that just fit in the 510 pin hole, held it in my hand, 4 taps of a smallish hammer and it was in pieces. This base was a bit loose on the AFC, and seeped pretty badly.

Cleaned it up really well, including some small metal shavings which appeared to be keeping the deck from fully seating in the base, lapped and lightly polished all mating surfaces, inspected o-rings. Went back together nice and easy, zero damage.

AFC now correct/tighter, JFC a little tighter, Seeping now 100% gone. Overall after taking the Merlin apart 100%, I find the deck to be very well designed, easily user serviced by anyone with a modicum of mechanical ability.

I'll take some detailed pics if I tear down the replacement base.

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
That's my big issue I have with the merlin, the seepage. It's so bad on mine, my mod constantly is covered in juice. Maybe I just need a new base or attempt the service. I was going to get another but that's the only thing holding me back.

Mine seeped really badly as well, after just a few minutes of use it would have a good puddle of juice on top of my mod as well. I initially thought wicking, but that was not the case. I've ran about 60ml through it since fixing, and it has remained absolutely dry, not even a speck of juice on the bottom. I refrained from purchasing additional Merlins because of the seeping issue. Now that I see how simple it was to take apart/fix I'll probably buy a couple more. Confidently knowing I can maintain it.

I was a bit leary of breaking the base down due to what was initially posted by Roxy that it could be easily damaged. I completely disagree with that, even if some bases are more stubborn to come apart the only concern I would have for damage is the threading which the 510 pin screws into.

As long as you use a flat bottom tool to punch (brass would be best) it out the threads should be safe. I also would not hit overly hard, just some light taps, even if it takes more repetitions. Pretty simple, no need to take anything but the 510 pin and the 510 pin insulator off, use a flat rod that fits in the 510 pin hole without too much room to spare and it will keep the punch in place.

Clean everything up really well, start the deck back in place I used an old wooden hammer handle to tap the deck back in place, was not difficult at all.

I'll also add you'll know as soon as the deck starts moving, the AFC ring starts getting really loose.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've been fortunate with no leaking from mine. My version came from STS, so I have the updated deck with the oblong/squarish holes, with round juice holes on the chimney. Draws fine and no dry hits.

Based on my experience, I decided to add a second one to the stockpile. Ordered from Eciggity with a few other items. Then I decided today to get a second Bellus which I also like, and they had it on clearance. A call out for great service with Eciggity as I received my shipping notification, and they placed everything in one package even though it was placed as two separate orders. I've dealt with many vendors who won't do something like that.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I've been fortunate with no leaking from mine. My version came from STS, so I have the updated deck with the oblong/squarish holes, with round juice holes on the chimney. Draws fine and no dry hits.

Based on my experience, I decided to add a second one to the stockpile. Ordered from Eciggity with a few other items. Then I decided today to get a second Bellus which I also like, and they had it on clearance. A call out for great service with Eciggity as I received my shipping notification, and they placed everything in one package even though it was placed as two separate orders. I've dealt with many vendors who won't do something like that.

I've done a lot of business with Eciggity and have always gotten quick shipping. They almost always ship the next day and I haven't had any problems with anything I've bought from them including a couple of Merlins.

Reactions: Eskie

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Received mine from Eciggity as well today.
Worried I should have read this thread before I ordered. :rolleyes:

:p

Not sure what I have or what issues I should be on the lookout for (other than leaking).
If it helps... my outer juice holes resemble the radiused "squarish" description, but I don't know what the alternative version is (earlier? later?).

And both my JFC and AFC are smooth and firm.

Messed up a bit as I have a 430 sample to play with and I rolled up a 4mm fatty with too many wraps. Came out too high at 1.1. It's dry still, a couple hours later, but that's a lot of wick I had available to fill up the channels. And relatively lower wattage than I had been planning, if that matters.

And mine came with a Notch coil as well... one leg fairly well mangled. :rolleyes:

No biggie... to get free shipping, I had tossed a pack of them in my cart. :p

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Sounds like you have the newer version holes. The original were round, and people were complaining of dry hits, so they enlarged to that squarish hole instead. Notch coils are always a problem for just that reason, the legs are easily messed up and held on by only a bit of solder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread