Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016

jocoxVT

Nov 3, 2015
This base was a bit loose on the AFC, and seeped pretty badly.

Mine seeped really badly as well, after just a few minutes of use it would have a good puddle of juice on top of my mod as well.

I am either confused or uneducated (realistically, most likely a mixture of both). How does one define "seeping" compared to "condensation" puddling?

The reason I ask is that I received my black Merlin last week from STS and love it so far. From the looks of it I have v2 base (rectangular holes) and v1 chamber/glass (circular holes), additionally I received both glass in the tinted leading me to assume that STS swapped the base prior to sending. I do, however, notice a small amount of liquid collecting on the top of my mod around the airflow after allowing it to sit for extended amounts of time. I was under the assumption that this was caused from condensation within the chamber/coil from the vapor that I hadnt cleared totally. After sitting, it collects and has nowhere to go. I am not getting heavy puddling by any stretch, more so that you can just see the top of the mod is wet. Am I mis-defining this as condensation, when in reality its seeping?

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
I suppose it depends on habits, condensation can pool under the atomizer, but my experience with many different atomizers is typically condensation will form in little misty areas on top of your mod. Some of the atties I use are worse then others, not clearing the chamber, switch timing/inhale can make it worse, as does blowing through the atty while firing.

I would define seeping as juice leaking from seams on the bottom of the atty, and forming a puddle/ring of liquid. I now know the Merlin is not an atty prone to condensation issues, some designs just are. Mine went from having to wipe a good sized amount of liquid from beneath the atomizer every fill at minimum to absolutely nothing on top of my mod after multiple fills.

Wicking may also cause seeping issues, however the Merlin again seems to be one of the easier atomizers to wick correctly. Some atomizers wicking is critical to proper function, exact density, exact placement, or they leak/seep badly. Merlin does not seem to be critical on wicking, maybe even on the more forgiving end.

All of this was not so clear when I first got the Merlin, and I sort of chalked up the seeping to not having found the exact balance of proper wicking. Others reporting the same problem was a hint at an issue other then wicking, but still not confirmation. When I received my replacement base the problem was nearly completely gone, and again, I was back to slight condensation, or maybe not 100% on proper wicking being the cause.

Now after disassembly, careful clean up, and reassembly my Merlin has gone multiple tanks remaining 100% dry, I've not changed how I wick it, nor do I make any conscious effort to reduce the possibility of condensation.

All the above probably does not help answer your question, more of a could be, maybe answer.

I would say if yours has liquid under the atomizer, not around it that it is seeping liquid rather then condensation.

Unfortunately the root cause is not 100% clear, but in my experience I went from major leaking out of the bottom, around the seam of the AFC ring, to the replacement base which barely has any, to the fixed base which is 100% dry. It is pretty clear in my case the first base was flawed, replacement base, was much better, even acceptable, but still not quite 100% to my repaired base which is now what the Merlin should be/is capable of.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
My tank has been absolutely dry from day 1 (and that's from someone new to RTAs who really didn't know what they were doing). However, this morning I changed out my wick and dry burned my coil. Placed a new wick and cut it back way too short. I figured no big deal, can't be THAT important.

Several paper towels later, I rewicked with enough to get into the wells and pushed back a bit from the juice hole. Lesson learned.

jocoxVT

Nov 3, 2015
I suppose it depends on habits, condensation can pool under the atomizer, but my experience with many different atomizers is typically condensation will form in little misty areas on top of your mod.

When I received my replacement base the problem was nearly completely gone, and again, I was back to slight condensation, or maybe not 100% on proper wicking being the cause.

It is pretty clear in my case the first base was flawed, replacement base, was much better, even acceptable, but still not quite 100% to my repaired base which is now what the Merlin should be/is capable of.

Thanks for the thorough response. It does help! From what you are saying it sounds like mine may be more of a condensation issue as well. I am not, at least not that I have noticed, getting any liquid under my atomizer. Moreover, your explanation of condensation forming in misty areas on the top of the mod is a spot on description. I am not getting any pooling at all, it is like when it is humid outside and you come down in the morning and your windows are fogged over. Additionally, as I have v2 base I am thinking this is condensation as opposed to seeping. I dont think I am brave enough to disassemble my base and am content living with it. It isnt ideal but is far from a deal breaker in my mind. I am assuming that closing the airflow when not in use would help, correct? As mentioned before, I only ever notice it after it has sat for an extended amount of time unvaped (e.g., in the morning after sleeping, getting home from work as its not my daily carry mod, etc.). Would closing the AFC prevent the buildup on the top of the mod? My concern would be potentially damaging my mod. I dont think it is likely as it isnt much juice but rather be on the safe side.

ccwaters

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 31, 2013
Minnesota USA
Don't think closing the air off is going to do much, most of it comes when your using it, seems like more effort then just giving a little wipe here and there. But give it a shot, certainly not going to hurt anything. If your not using it, as in when it sits overnight you shouldn't have any further condensation. I really wouldn't worry too much unless I see puddles of liquid on top, even then its more of a mess then anything.

Reactions: tmcase

Mactavish

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 19, 2010
New York
Don't think closing the air off is going to do much, most of it comes when your using it, seems like more effort then just giving a little wipe here and there. But give it a shot, certainly not going to hurt anything. If your not using it, as in when it sits overnight you shouldn't have any further condensation. I really wouldn't worry too much unless I see puddles of liquid on top, even then its more of a mess then anything.

I try to remember to close the AFC, when I don't think I'm going to use any of my tanks for a day or two, only in the belief it may keep the remaining juice in the tank "fresher".

janne303

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2014
Sweden
I got a new version of the Merlin from efun.top today

4911189ae1ac6938a4298e5c76eca1ad.jpg

Skickat från min SM-G935F via Tapatalk

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
So I dropped my mod today and my Merlin just split in two! The base came apart from the deck! No way to fix it. I've tried! Also ruined my Sigelei 213. It now says check atty no matter what I put on it and the scream is barely legible.
Have you tried removing the battery? Might reset it. Can you also post a pic of the Merlin? Curious as to what it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread