Status
Not open for further replies.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I read on another Forum that someone pressed them together tighter w/a couple of socket & a hammer and resolved the problem.
Might be worth trying before disassembling &/or destroying it.
Pressed together where and how? The one I plan on taking apart has stripped out threads where the 510 screw goes.

Reactions: TrollDragon

Major911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2014
Grand Island, FL, USA
What size coil is everyone using in the Merlins? I have not tried smaller ones yet and I'm curious if anyone is getting good flavor with a 2mm coil.

I use 3mm in everything I own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
3mm for me. Occasionally when I'm lazy I'll grab a pre-made 2.5 but haven't tried a 2.
Any difference in flavor? With these Merlins, we can remove the coil and put it back on if needed. I took a coil and wick off one base and put it on one of my new bases with no problem.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Any difference in flavor? With these Merlins, we can remove the coil and put it back on if needed. I took a coil and wick off one base and put it on one of my new bases with no problem.

Oops, you got me there. :facepalm: I'm not sure I've put a 2.5 in any of my Merlin's. I normally use 3mm in all my atties but I have used a few 2.5mm in other atties but I don't remember if I used one in a Merlin. I have 7 now and 5 are in rotation so it gets kinda confusing. Sorry. :blush:

dshuld

Jan 7, 2016
That's Ginormous...
Fills the chamber nicely though lol.
This one is 26/36 fused n80 for .56.

163cbcc72dd4455cce9316eb8eb38dc8.jpg

095ad3f1b346fd244142a341dd132a22.jpg

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011

I just realized that I put a 2.5ga 2x26 twisted in one of my Merlins today. The flavor is a bit off but I don't think it's the diameter of the coil but the 2x26ga. Anything I've used that has a slow ramp up has changed the flavor of my juice a bit. Not sure why but it does. I've put 2.5mm in other atties with higher ga wire and the flavor was fine.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I just realized that I put a 2.5ga 2x26 twisted in one of my Merlins today. The flavor is a bit off but I don't think it's the diameter of the coil but the 2x26ga. Anything I've used that has a slow ramp up has changed the flavor of my juice a bit. Not sure why but it does. I've put 2.5mm in other atties with higher ga wire and the flavor was fine.
I have to try a smaller one someday...

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
That coil needs at least 50W to come up to speed quickly, personally I wouldn't build a twisted of that gauge with anything smaller than a 3mm ID, it needs the juice reserve that 3mm provides. Twisted 30g I would build on 2.5mm, 3mm for 28g and 4mm+ for twisted 24g.

These are just my choices and YMMV. ;)

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
That coil needs at least 50W to come up to speed quickly, personally I wouldn't build a twisted of that gauge with anything smaller than a 3mm ID, it needs the juice reserve that 3mm provides. Twisted 30g I would build on 2.5mm, 3mm for 28g and 4mm+ for twisted 24g.

These are just my choices and YMMV. ;)

No wonder my juice tasted off. I never vape that high. I got these off ebay to try but they aren't for me. I twist my own 2x28ga, 3mm, 6 wraps that comes out to around .6 ohms and that seems to be just right for all of my juices.

disley

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
Australia
Sorry just replying back. Was it diy watermelon or store bought? Glad you got it going though either way.

I was using a store bought watermelon, which tasted ok in my dripper.
No taste in the merlin.
I changed for a store bought plum flavour, and the taste comes through nicely.
I'm really enjoying this tank.
The clouds are thick and satisfying, now it's tasting good its become my go to atty.
It's quiet, and doesn't take huge inhales to blow clouds, and leaves the crown way behind.
I'm sad so many vapers had problems with it, because when it works it's a great vape.
Thanks to the merlin I'm back using the tank again.
Only one minor complaint, it sucks the juice down, haha.
Thanks Roxy...

dshuld

Jan 7, 2016
I was using a store bought watermelon, which tasted ok in my dripper.
No taste in the merlin.
I changed for a store bought plum flavour, and the taste comes through nicely.
I'm really enjoying this tank.
The clouds are thick and satisfying, now it's tasting good its become my go to atty.
It's quiet, and doesn't take huge inhales to blow clouds, and leaves the crown way behind.
I'm sad so many vapers had problems with it, because when it works it's a great vape.
Thanks to the merlin I'm back using the tank again.
Only one minor complaint, it sucks the juice down, haha.
Thanks Roxy...
It's one of the weaker flavor profiles in juice from what I've read and experienced when using it in my diy mixes. Glad the plum woke the merlin up for you though. It is a great tank and it does suck some have had issues like you said [emoji58].

Last edited:

dhaiken

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Pressed together where and how? The one I plan on taking apart has stripped out threads where the 510 screw goes.
He didn't provide specifics or pics in the original post.
Subsequently he said the bottom socket was upside down and had the 510 protruding through the square hole.
Then he placed a socket that fit around the base that wouldn't damage the threads and tapped it w/a hammer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread