1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

Micro coils

Discussion in 'Coil Builds' started by matthew2478, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. matthew2478

matthew2478 Full Member

What do you guys use to make your micro coils? What kind of tools are must have. What do you use to wrap. Do you use a torch or a regular lighter? What gauge kanthal do you use for sub ohms? Does everyone have a different method? Just thought this would be a good topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Spacedoutart

Spacedoutart Senior Member ECF Veteran

Personally I use 30 gauge wire. I use a micro screwdriver to wrap my coils on, with a diameter of 1.6mm (super close to 1/16). Tools mostly depend on the device. Screwdriver for wrapping and tightening down the post, nail clippers for cutting the wire close, and tweezers to pinch and shape the coil. I dont torch my kanthal; however, I wrap coils really close on my own. My favorite setup for the micro coil is 5/6 wrap for 1.3 ohms.

3. Akya2120

Akya2120 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I use a 14 gauge needle and wrap my coil around that. Typically an eight or nine wrap with 28SWG nichrome. Once done I use tweezers to hold the coil and slightly compress it while I heat it with a jet lighter. I use cotton for wick. I just shred it up a whole lot and then poke it through with a piece of scrap wire. Wet your wick and vape. Lately though I have been using a method I recently came up with. I have the build in this same sub form. Check it out I am calling it a flat wrap or a zig zag heading element.

4. clyde

clyde Full Member

i have been trying to build micro coils but i keep failing,i always get a burnt taste from them not sure what i am doing wrong

5. Spacedoutart

Spacedoutart Senior Member ECF Veteran

From my time with micros. I have found that usually burnt taste is from not enough cotton in the wick (so parts of the coil are not wet and burning as hot spots. If you have a strong cotton taste then you have too much cotton and its choking. This can be tricky to get just right but after some practice, it will be amazing.

6. Dpb1983

Dpb1983 Full Member

7. supertrunker

supertrunker Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    30g seems to be a good middle ground gauge to use. I use a coil jig when i make mine and getting the cotton right seems an art form, but the general rule is :less is better.

If you see cotton bunching up forming "shoulders" when in your coil, then you have to much. Remember it swells when wet.

T

8. BadChiliFart

BadChiliFart Full Member Verified Member

i use a 5/64th drill bit. 5-6 wraps with 24g or 22g wire. make some pretty decent clouds with it, but a bit hot sometimes.

9. dns2

dns2 Full Member

I literally just use a meter lead for my micro's. Works great. Has a handle and I can wrap the coils tight and up against the butt of the handle. For slightly larger coils I use a 1/8" drill bit.

Each wrap on 30ga kanthal produces .27Ω on my meter lead, and .4Ω on the drill bit.
    Wraps with 28ga kanthal produce .2Ω on my meter lead, and .35Ω on the drill bit.

10. super_X_drifter

super_X_drifter Vaper with a vid cam, killer mods and awesome RDAs Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Either this tool:
    http://youtu.be/kNT5-s0U5jk

Or this method:
    http://youtu.be/bp8yqFojsEU

heating and squeezing the coil to make it tight are things of the past.

These methods will put your wraps completely touching without heat.

Tension is the key - tension you can't get if you clip a piece if wire off the spool and hand wrap it around a rod :)

11. classwife

classwife Ask The Vets Manager
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Moved to Coil Builds from the Modding Forum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.