Micro coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spacedoutart

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Buffalo NY
Personally I use 30 gauge wire. I use a micro screwdriver to wrap my coils on, with a diameter of 1.6mm (super close to 1/16). Tools mostly depend on the device. Screwdriver for wrapping and tightening down the post, nail clippers for cutting the wire close, and tweezers to pinch and shape the coil. I dont torch my kanthal; however, I wrap coils really close on my own. My favorite setup for the micro coil is 5/6 wrap for 1.3 ohms.

Akya2120

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Olympia, Washington
I use a 14 gauge needle and wrap my coil around that. Typically an eight or nine wrap with 28SWG nichrome. Once done I use tweezers to hold the coil and slightly compress it while I heat it with a jet lighter. I use cotton for wick. I just shred it up a whole lot and then poke it through with a piece of scrap wire. Wet your wick and vape. Lately though I have been using a method I recently came up with. I have the build in this same sub form. Check it out I am calling it a flat wrap or a zig zag heading element.

Spacedoutart

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Buffalo NY
From my time with micros. I have found that usually burnt taste is from not enough cotton in the wick (so parts of the coil are not wet and burning as hot spots. If you have a strong cotton taste then you have too much cotton and its choking. This can be tricky to get just right but after some practice, it will be amazing.

dns2

May 6, 2014
United States
I literally just use a meter lead for my micro's. Works great. Has a handle and I can wrap the coils tight and up against the .... of the handle. For slightly larger coils I use a 1/8" drill bit.

Each wrap on 30ga kanthal produces .27Ω on my meter lead, and .4Ω on the drill bit.
Wraps with 28ga kanthal produce .2Ω on my meter lead, and .35Ω on the drill bit.

Last edited:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Either this tool:
http://youtu.be/kNT5-s0U5jk

Or this method:
http://youtu.be/bp8yqFojsEU

heating and squeezing the coil to make it tight are things of the past.

These methods will put your wraps completely touching without heat.

Tension is the key - tension you can't get if you clip a piece if wire off the spool and hand wrap it around a rod :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread