Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's just like you said..a train wreck. I ordered from halo as they have my fav eliquid and not sure if they are going to fill my order. It's just BS

I hear you.

I live in a State where being 18, a Legal Adult, is Not Enough to buy an e-Cigarette or a Bottle of e-liquid.

You can be Convicted of a Felony, or Vote, or Join the Military, or get Married, or buy a Firearm, but you Can't buy an e-Cigarette if you want to Quit Smoking.

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Yes ignore valid concerns and opinions and just accept that the study that produced the results in question is valid. But many others have pointed out the lack of air flow among many other dependencies in that study. So believe all of it and stop vaping? No still want to vape huh?
Honestly, what's your obsession with this thread. Haven't you promised before to ignore the thread ? Wasn't it just two weeks ago that you said you're going to ignore this thread one more time ?

I try to offer you a solution so you can post pictures with ease and this is how you respond? Really mature way to respond to an offer of help with a simple PC issue that apparently is over your head. Ignoring this thread one more time..................

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
I dont disagree you with a bit. Those who have known me for while will validate that "To each their own vape" is a long standing moto of mine. Heck, I just said the same thing in another thread yesterday.

My efforts in this thread arent about regulation, or telling anybody what they can or cant do. My efforts are about finding the safest ways to vape, for those who care about such things.

Personally, I strongly suspect that cloud warriors doing direct lung hits of massive amounts of juice on quintuple coils at high heat levels is probably not very healthy, and in most cases its not about keeping the nico-demon at bay either, but that is their choice, and until this very moment I have never expressed that belief publicly.

To each their own vape!

Personally, if I can find a safer way to do it and still keep the nico-demon off my azz, then I am open to exploring it. I also feel the communal sense of obligation to share what I learn with others.
I don't think i have thanked you directly for what you're doing. Greatly Appreciated. I have made some changes since this thread started ( dialed back on the power a bit, used 26g wire instead of 28, stopped chain vaping as much etc ... ) and the quality of my vape hasn't suffered. I have also ordered some SS wire and will be experimenting with t.c pretty soon.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Well, except them damn squonkers, nothing more than a bunch of bottom feeder.s...... :evil:

And lest anyone think I am being serious, this is a post I made last Friday on another group.
mikepetro said:
To each their own vape!

In case you havent picked up on it (and I think/hope you have), I just give squonkers a hard time "for sport", many of my best online friends are squonkers. It all all started with DrunkJ, simply because he is such a smartazz, but a "bud" nonetheless.

I dont care what you vape as long it is working for YOU. Now I do promote, what I consider to be safer alternatives, but I will never "seriously" knock anybody, unless they are doing something stupid like trying to run dual claptons off a couple of CR2032s..... And even then I try to be civil about it.

smokinGAVIN

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2014
Manila, Philippines
I have a VV mod for a few weeks, and I have a VW mod. My offer is still open if you want to send me an atty and a couple of coils. Just let me look up the atty first to see if I would stand a prayer of getting a probe in it.

Thanks for the offer mike but I live in the Philippines and sending an atty will take forever and probably have some customs duties. Just like when I order an atty from the US it takes about 2 to 3 months. I don't think you will have a problem getting a probe in an RDA though.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Well, except them damn squonkers, nothing more than a bunch of bottom feeder.s......
bottomfeeder_4.jpg

:p

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Plugging that stuff into Steam Engine leads me to conclude that the coil ID was between 2 and 2.4mm, and at 20w, the heat flux was not much more than 200 mW/mm^2, not at all outrageous.

I never had that exact model of Kayfun, but there's no way I would have run a stock KFL+ or R91 at 20W. 12 was good, and 15 was pushing things. Interesting how that correlates with the graphs that show bad things beginning to happen at 15 and pretty much out of control at 20.

From the same study:

The negative sensorial quality evaluation by the volunteering vaper of the vapour generated at 20W demonstrated the unlikelihood that such a wattage would be realistically set by a vaper.

Reactions: Eskie

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY
Stock PT coils were something like 32 gauge wicked with silica. Remember how much better we were able to make them by rebuilding them with 30 gauge and wicking them with cotton? :D

I don't know what the Nautilus coils were made of. I never had anything that use them 'cause I had moved on to Kayfuns before they caught on.
Yeah, i actually learned how to build on those things. I used 29g kanthel ( 10 wraps ) and used the AFC from the PT3. I have never used the Nautilus either, but i do know they have vertical coils with cotton on the outside of the coil. Don't know if that has a bearing on coil temperature.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I get that it 'feels' like some of our vaping styles are being attacked. I have to be honest, when this thread started, I felt like mine was also.

The reality is that there was a need to know just what temperature our devices were putting out since most do not have temperature control.

Maybe, with Mike's data, a new standard can be implemented. Not necessarily having a requirement of only temp control devices but more a chart that can be referenced.

We have the standard chart of #wraps = ohm. Plus power range needed to make that equation work. Maybe a new chart that gives the variable as to what temp, high and low, may be achieved with that build and power.

I'm all for safety but I am for individuality and choosing our own risk. I get that when it comes to new vapers, and older ones that don't frequent forums if ever, they do not have access to this much information.

Such a conundrum.

What Mike is doing is honorable and basically, trying to look out for us all. All he is doing is testing and gathering facts. Just the same as Mooch is doing in regards to batteries. And Kurt is doing for liquids.

I truly thank God for these individuals because I sure wouldn't have a clue about any of this otherwise.

Another point, would you rather the government do this? Um, just no.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Let's all remember how this thread started, and Mike got stuck spending an awful lot of his own time and money on this.

There was an e cig meeting. At that forum, the work by Wang regarding thermal breakdown products was referenced. Then there was a presentation by Evolv using all sorts of data from ecig stats claiming vapers may vape too hot and TC was the answer. Some of us were less than satisfied with the actual data presented.

The big question was, is it reasonable to assume the temperature you set on a mod is the temperature the coil actually works at as there are lots of variables involved? Without actual data (Evolv never actually measured the coil temp separate from monitoring the resistance, in other words, treating the coil as both heat source and thermocouple) there was a theoretical debate about coil temperatures that ranged from meteorological information to quantum physics. After 50 pages making no real progress Mike stepped up to the plate and figured out a way of measuring the temp directly with small thermocouples.

Mike has been able to answer important questions, including yes, the temps set for a particular TC board (only tested a DNA board, no info on lots of others out there) were accurate to +/- 10F. Mike then extended it to look at other wattage settings and different coil types. This was all really useful info. He even extended it to the effects of different airflows, from low to high and confirmed high airflow lowered coil temps which might seem intuitive, but nice to real data confirm it.

Al of this work fails to complete the final piece of an answer for us vapers. We know how stuff breaks down in a reactor (Wang). We know temps when vaping can get higher than expected without TC (Mike, and inferences by Evolv). Now what needs to be done is measuring thermal breakdown products generated by actual coils in actual tank under actual conditions a vaper would use at different temperatures. From the start, Mike stated he could not perform that analysis, but did produce the temp data to provide that foundation of whether or not we really were vaporizing e liquid at temperatures achieved in a thermal reactor.

So Mike provided the community with valuable information and guidance that until the final step is done, breakdown products at different temp setting from real life setups, it is reasonable for a vaper to choose to keep their temperatures a bit lower than they might have expected (especially in wattage/power users). There is also enough data provide by Mike to suggest that a vaper might well not change their vape pattern, as without a test of both breakdown products at measured temperatures from actual coils simultaneously, the risk remains theoretical and it's up to the vaper how to proceed.

This testing should have properly been done by someone like Evolv with the resources and capital to test their own equipment, rather than trying to infer temperatures from e cig stat data. But they didn't so Mike did it for us. We owe a debt of gratitude to Mike for all the time, money, and effort placed into this.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

What Mike is doing is honorable and basically, trying to look out for us all. All he is doing is testing and gathering facts. Just the same as Mooch is doing in regards to batteries. And Kurt is doing for liquids.

That's really how I Feel about all this.

An Individual, who does Not have a Monetary or Political agenda, spending their own Time and Money to bring Real World Information to the Vaping Community.

Information is Power. And Informed Choices are based on being Informed.

If doing something Incredibly Simple as adding an eyedropper full of Water to a Bottle of e-Liquid could make for a potentially "Safer" e-Liquid, would people at Least want to Know This?

I quit Smoking because I was looking for Harm Reduction. If there are things I can do which make e-Cigarette use even Less Harmful than Smoking, I'm not sure why I (or Anyone) would not at least Try them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread