Not open for further replies.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
Anyway, I have to take a break, all this science mumbo jumbo is making my head hurt.

Perhaps a little TC could help, maybe an Evolv pre-release?

01brain-controlled-arduino.jpg

Just kiddin' - put those sensors down!!!

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
While looking at mikepetros' research I discovered that my all-day go-to kangertech would most likely go over the 450 degree of safety IF I chain-vaped with half airflow. So, taking that into account I no longer chain-vape and use a wide open airflow! I also lowered my wattage some.
Mikepetro even took time to answer a question I had.
I am very grateful to him and his amazing research to keep us safe.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
vaping is a HUGE business now. It's about time some of bigger players funded some proper research to help those of us that want to minimise the risks.

We were asking for this back in 2012 when I joined ECF.

The FDA created a competitive playing field though with the whole PMTA thing. Companies are competing against each other to gain the coveted PMTAs

I forgot what the excuses were in 2012 - 2016 :rolleyes: before the FDA thing came down.

Oh wait.... I think it was buying racing boats with advertising on them n' stuff, ;)...that stuff gets expensive. :)

How many years does it take of making millions ..... I'm sorry, but the vaping industry is about as disappointing on many levels as your garden-variety politician. Hopefully it doesn't take as long as it did for tobacco companies with cigs?

Glad to see members of the vaping community like Mikepetro attending to this to help fellow vapers though. :) Bravo.

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The stuff I was looking at (Agilent 1220) was beyond the imagination of out of my my budget. I would be VERY interested in the solutions you mention above. Any links you can help with?

BTW, I would love it if the spectrophotometer could also do ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, iron, potassium, etc... (requiring the appropriate reagents of course) That would be an added plus. I have drooled over some of the Hach units for years.

That's a slick, but expensive solution. Separating out the color spectrometer, you still need a collection means and settle on a test method which will depend on your collection technique. Probably the easiest is using a water based trap. Then it's a question of whether an inexpensive colorimeter will be sufficient or you have to step up to a quality UV-vis spectrophotometer instead (big bucks).

May be time to go back to materials and methods these guys are using to get an idea of what can reproduce the accuracy of the systems they chose. As I've never tested for aldehydes (that I can remember doing) I'm barely a toe step up helping to a viable, affordable solution (heavy on the affordable, not the Thermo/BD/Hach crowd).

oops, forgot one more thing. How will you generate the airflow so you can collect the effluent.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Yeah, after pricing that stuff out, I may just hang up that formaldehyde measuring idea. I would rather use the funds to replace my sidewalk. I dont make any money off of vaping so it would be hard to justify that kind of REAL money.

I am attacking it from another angle. I am striking up relationships with folks who do have access to the right equipment and funding. I am presenting my findings and theories, and trying to influence some of these guys to alter their test protocols to include variables that have been overlooked. So far, the work I have done has been received well by some of these PhD types. Maybe I will stand a chance of influencing some better tests.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Yeah, after pricing that stuff out, I may just hang up that formaldehyde measuring idea. I would rather use the funds to replace my sidewalk. I dont make any money off of vaping so it would be hard to justify that kind of REAL money.

I am attacking it from another angle. I am striking up relationships with folks who do have access to the right equipment and funding. I am presenting my findings and theories, and trying to influence some of these guys to alter their test protocols to include variables that have been overlooked. So far, the work I have done has been received well by some of these PhD types. Maybe I will stand a chance of influencing some better tests.

Atta boy !!

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY

That sounds like the way to go. However, it still doesn't resolve the puff thing. There has to be sometging that will pull air through for collection and has to give a consistent vapor flow rate. I think the nightmare of getting that right was a reason Wang went the way they did. Otherwise you're back to a thousand configurations all at varying temperatures.

If anyone can put the funds behind something like this and contract with the proper investigators I would put Evolv on that list. They brought it up to begin with, and they want quality temp control to be relevant. I don't know their business model or capital available, but if they are seriously going down the PMTA path, they might as well get these data out of the way early.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
I asked Dr F to look at my blog and asked for his opinion:

Hello Petro,
I completely agree that transitioning from silica wick to cotton has been probably the biggest improvement in terms of reducing the chance of high temperatures. Cotton also has more sorptivity and is less dense (so more liquid per volume of wick). 500oF as about 260oC, which is not really high. The thing is with a type K probe you get measurements in one point only, while with temperature control you control the average temperature throughout the coil.
Aldehydes are DEFINITELY related to temperature, NOT to power or anything else. An additional problem is that when they report aldehydes per puff they fail to acknowledge that a puff at 10 W is very different (in terms of aerosol yield) to a puff at 20 W. So, a difference may simply represent different aerosol yield while the same thermal degradation rate may happen in both power settings.

Aldehydes are DEFINITELY related to temperature, NOT to power or anything else.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
However, it still doesn't resolve the puff thing. There has to be sometging that will pull air through for collection and has to give a consistent vapor flow rate. I think the nightmare of getting that right was a reason Wang went the way they did. Otherwise you're back to a thousand configurations all at varying temperatures.
That sounds like you are saying the exact same thing Dr F said above about "aerosol yield", just in a different way

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I asked Dr F to look at my blog and asked for his opinion:

Aldehydes are DEFINITELY related to temperature, NOT to power or anything else.

Ah, just to maintain perspective, it is related to temperature and power is one of the variables that contributes to temperature. So power is of some importance at managing temperature.

I see the point of the thermocouple sampling a specific location and might not be representative the while package, but. I think the tight correlation when in TC mode with reported temps makes me less concerned with missing the whole picture.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
More from Dr F:

The Wang study used ridiculously low airflow rates (200ml/min = 3.3ml/sec) and continuous heating at the tested temperatures (in e-cigarettes, the starting temperature is close to environmental temp and gradually goes up.
Next week i will receive equipment which monitors temperature of coils (nickel, SS, titanium coils), and we will start measuring aldehyde emissions at different temperature settings.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ah, just to maintain perspective, it is related to temperature and power is one of the variables that contributes to temperature. So power is of some importance at managing temperature.

I see the point of the thermocouple sampling a specific location and might not be representative the while package, but. I think the tight correlation when in TC mode with reported temps makes me less concerned with missing the whole picture.
Power is a variable that contributes to temperature, as do several other variables. However TEMPERATURE is the trigger that throws VG into degradation.

I totally agree, which I why I always chose 1 coil off center. Anyway, the whole context here was showing folks who dont have TC what their coils are running. Lets face it, if you have TC then you dont need the thermocouple at all.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
TBH, until your data, I did not have faith that the temps reported in TC were necessarily correct. That was my main beef about assuming TC matters in real world temp settings.

I also agree airflow is a big issue in predicting real world behavior. In some ways I'm sorta happy I now prefer a looser draw, so more air over the coil and wicking. Even when I go back to my mtl tanks I leave the air wide open, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread