OBS Engine Gold Tone

Status
Not open for further replies.

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
I had been looking at a Petri rta gold plated, but $70 is a bit much for me. That along with the fact that it only holds 2ml of liquid was a real deal breaker. Then I saw the OBS Engine in gold tone. I loved the way it looked and it holds 5.2ml. That was it, I ordered one right away. I got it from Gearbest so it will be a while before I get it, but I am not in any hurry. It really looks good in the pictures I have seen. The one below is from the web so it is obviously not mine. I will post pix when I get it. As always, I am looking forward to trying out a new rta.

obsgold.jpg

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
The wait is on. It has at least made it to Korea. I am beginning to suspect that I may actually be getting an OBS Engine Nano because on the OBS website that is the only Engine model that comes in gold tone. That's ok with me because I haven't had a single coil atty since I bought my kayfun clone.

2017-01-05_1854.png

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
I have been debating on whether or not I should go for the Gold version because it's the only one available locally at the moment, and I don't know if it would match my Finder or IPV mods (both silver), but after seeing that picture above, it does look pretty hot. Thanks for the update!
Honestly, whatever color you get, it is a fantastic atty. My only complaint is that if you are not careful when filling it you will spill some juice. The side fill makes it hard to see how close to the top you are and if don't take it slow when filling you will over fill it and spill some juice. It is a minor complaint though. This tank has better flavor than any tank I have ever used including the Aromamizer and the Griffin 25.

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
@6steelstrings that's awesome to know, thank you. I've bought and sold many tanks ever since I went back to vaping back in September and I must say the best ones I've used so far are the Serpent Mini 25 and the Merlin Mini RTA.

I recently bought the GeekVape Ammit, which according to many experts is one of the best in terms of flavor in 2016 but I am cannot for the life of me wick it properly and I end up with either a mutated flavor or dry hits, so I'm quite disappointed in it.

I'll be buying the OBS Engine today or tomorrow, I'm just waiting for a friend to tell me if he'll be able to provide the black version or if I should just go for the gold one. Is wicking this tank easy? I've had problems properly wicking the Aromamizer Supreme RDTA and the GeekVape Ammit tanks so far, while every other RTA and RBA tank I've used was and still is working fine.

I'm also surprised that the OBS is supposed to provide amazing flavor while it is a dual-coil tank, because from my experience I always got the best flavor out of single coil builds. As for filling the juice, I'm always careful doing it even with easy-to-fill tanks like the Serpent and the Ammit, and I never really fill it all the way anyways. I'm just glad I'm finally getting a large capacity tank for a change. :D

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
Okay, my friend just received two versions: OBS Engine and OBS Engine Mini. He cannot tell the difference between them but he's not very experienced when it comes to vaping anyways. I told him I'll take the bigger version since that's the one I've seen in all the videos. From my understanding, the different is 23mm vs 25mm, 3.5ml of juice vs 5.2ml of juice, and finally a smaller build deck on the Mini, would that be correct? And if so, are there any major differences between them? I'd rather have the bigger one, if I am honest.

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
That's the only difference, and the performance is about the same. Both the Serpent and Merlin you have are excellent tanks, but I think you'll find this one gives them a good run for the money. I think it tops them in flavor even with dual coil, it's easy to build on, and with the top air, you have to make it leak on purpose. I have two, and will be stockpiling more as it's my ADV tank.

Reactions: TarekElsakka

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
Just received this bad boy now. Built two 24-gauge kanthal 7 wraps on 3mm coils and wicked it. The way it wicks where you stick the wick inside the hole is kind of new to me, but I got the hang of it eventually. The only issue I've had so far is with the post screws or grub screws or whatever they're called, one of them was loose and I had to replace it before it gets damaged completely, and another one is kind of similar but working for the time being. I am not sure why that is, but maybe the screwdriver they put inside isn't that good to begin with? Either way, build is reading 0.38 ohms and I'm vaping at 50W and the flavor is ON POINT.

Attachments

• 20170118_021751.jpg
    20170118_021751.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Eskie

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
Just received this bad boy now. Built two 24-gauge kanthal 7 wraps on 3mm coils and wicked it. The way it wicks where you stick the wick inside the hole is kind of new to me, but I got the hang of it eventually. The only issue I've had so far is with the post screws or grub screws or whatever they're called, one of them was loose and I had to replace it before it gets damaged completely, and another one is kind of similar but working for the time being. I am not sure why that is, but maybe the screwdriver they put inside isn't that good to begin with? Either way, build is reading 0.38 ohms and I'm vaping at 50W and the flavor is ON POINT.
You really don't have to put the wick in the holes. You can just tuck them under and cover the juice holes with the wick. I have done it both ways with great success. I am not sure if you can even make this thing leak. I removed the deck yesterday to change the coils, set the half full tank upside down on the drip tip while I worked and it didn't even leak then.

TarekElsakka

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2016
What do you mean tuck them under the juice holes? Could you show me a picture of your wick when you have time? I have been getting good flavor the way I did it so far but I saw many other ways on YouTube and everyone says their way is the best. I guess this tank is so good that you can just about use any and still get a good vape. :D

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
What do you mean tuck them under the juice holes? Could you show me a picture of your wick when you have time? I have been getting good flavor the way I did it so far but I saw many other ways on YouTube and everyone says their way is the best. I guess this tank is so good that you can just about use any and still get a good vape. :D
I didn't mean tuck them under the holes. Tuck them under the coils and on top of the juice holes. Check out this video. Fast forward to around 7:10 for the wicking part. He is a bit OCD about trimming the wicks, but whatever works.

Reactions: TarekElsakka

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
@Eskie You're absolutely right, and that makes it a must-have tank in my book. The fact that it is so convenient makes me cringe every time I look at the darn Ammit.

It certainly got me to retire a bunch of tanks. Now my rotation is built around them. Other tanks I use are more for specific differences, such as a RDTA like a Limitless+ that does perform much differently. All my "generic" dual coil tanks are back in their boxes.

I do still use my single coil Merlin, and for whatever blessed reason, I've never had it leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread