Not open for further replies.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
What are these so called "goldys"?
The last revision I know of has gold plated contacts and it's said that those don't have the garbled screen issue anymore. Can't speak about the rest until I get mine :)

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Inappropriate and cleaning up

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
I respect your opinion and I fully understand your approach but I'm more a bleeding edge wanna be kinda guy and to be completely honest, I miss TC now that I don't have it. I never vaped at high wattage so TC has limited use to me but just the fact that I can avoid those dry hits at the end of a tank are worth every penny to me.

Yes, the boards were put out too soon in my opinion but once again I understand the need to be the first mover in a rapidly changing business. Evolv is somehow taking care of all affected customers and in the end it's nothing more than a nuisance having to ship the board back.

I just wish that they would have ironed all the quirks sooner. It's bad enough the technology being rather sensitive to user's ability to build attys and mods but throw in a few bugs and you have chaos.

I hope the "goldys" are bulletproof. :)

Regards
Tony
Overall I value reliability and function over form or needing the latest/greatest, but I'm also something of a tech-nut myself, and there IS appeal to having something new to the marketplace- no doubt about it! But like you, my vaping habits aren't a best match for TC so that alone makes it easier for me to hold off for now. You make a good point re the manufacturer's drive to be at the forefront of ecig tech and the importance of being first to market with new technology. I'm not sure if there was too much of a rush to market (getting it out before Christmas can be a big enticement), and if there was a rush to market how that may have affected testing (or the lack thereof) prior to marketing. Clearly there were problems and I suppose the exact reasons why don't matter now.

Hopefully there was a lesson learned on what proper beta testing encompasses, because there's no doubt in my mind that it was a fail the way it was done in this case. Marketing this product with it still needing sorted out has to have done more harm than could ever be offset by any advantage gained by releasing it when it was released. Now, I'm glad to hear Evolv is taking care of everyone who has had a problem and yes, sending it back to them isn't a great hardship for most owners. But- there's little doubt to me that this has made a lot of potential buyers gun-shy, resulting in a loss of sales.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Finally the 25 hit the market....just another TP choice for the user...It also was beta tested (now we can talk about it) and I've been using it non-stop since we started beta (http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ew-modding-want-build-dna40.html#post15005990) .... a less costly choice for those who don't need anything higher than 25 watts but want TP....hopefully the data sheet will follow shortly....

Evolv's track record of bringing leading technology and their excellent customer service...and a lot of other things....

I hope that this time you guys tested the C mode.

fingers crossed.

I don't think tchavei's post was particularly inflammatory.

I think it's clear that some people here are involved in beta testing of Evolv chips. Retird's post seem to imply that he was involved in it somewhere. ("Seem to imply"; might be a case of miscommunication, who knows?)

All tchavei was saying that he hopes "they" (which in this case might include people like retird based on the assumption above) have checked out the C mode.

I don't see anything that can be reasonably construed as wrong.

Dr G you on the other hand, have been unnecessarily nasty and rude, and is honestly everything that's not desirable in a forum. There were some posts from numerous people which were either trolling, factually incorrect or just incessant whining, that I can't deny. But in this case you're behaving like a classic Ahole, and that's putting it mildly.

ETA: just to be clear, I am not throwing retird under the bus, nor blaming him for this silly fiasco. We all know words on forums can always have the potential to lead to misunderstandings. Just quoting the post for background

Burping out loud using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmarkus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
CA USA
  • Deleted by retired1

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
  • Deleted by retired1

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Overall I value reliability and function over form or needing the latest/greatest, but I'm also something of a tech-nut myself, and there IS appeal to having something new to the marketplace- no doubt about it! But like you, my vaping habits aren't a best match for TC so that alone makes it easier for me to hold off for now. You make a good point re the manufacturer's drive to be at the forefront of ecig tech and the importance of being first to market with new technology. I'm not sure if there was too much of a rush to market (getting it out before Christmas can be a big enticement), and if there was a rush to market how that may have affected testing (or the lack thereof) prior to marketing. Clearly there were problems and I suppose the exact reasons why don't matter now.

Hopefully there was a lesson learned on what proper beta testing encompasses, because there's no doubt in my mind that it was a fail the way it was done in this case. Marketing this product with it still needing sorted out has to have done more harm than could ever be offset by any advantage gained by releasing it when it was released. Now, I'm glad to hear Evolv is taking care of everyone who has had a problem and yes, sending it back to them isn't a great hardship for most owners. But- there's little doubt to me that this has made a lot of potential buyers gun-shy, resulting in a loss of sales.
A First mover has always the advantage so sometimes they just rush things to achieve that position. Like someone stated before, just watch Brandon's interview. He clearly comments about the FDA wanting to move on the high temperature issue in vaping.

Crap happens. As long they're acknowledge that and correct the issues, fine.

Remember when the first Pentium A appeared and had a floating point error? Nothing special for most of us but those investigators and scientist that were relying on accurate calculations were pretty ...... off at the time...

Regards
Tony

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
I don't think tchavei's post was particularly inflammatory.

I think it's clear that some people here are involved in beta testing of Evolv chips. Retird's post seem to imply that he was involved in it somewhere. ("Seem to imply"; might be a case of miscommunication, who knows?)

All tchavei was saying that he hopes "they" (which in this case might include people like retird based on the assumption above) have checked out the C mode.

I don't see anything that can be reasonably construed as wrong.

The C mode was not a beta tested feature. So it's 100% wrong. And now you know, too.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
...I'm not sure if there was too much of a rush to market (getting it out before Christmas can be a big enticement), and if there was a rush to market how that may have affected testing (or the lack thereof) prior to marketing. Clearly there were problems and I suppose the exact reasons why don't matter now.

Hopefully there was a lesson learned on what proper beta testing encompasses, because there's no doubt in my mind that it was a fail the way it was done in this case.

Brandon said that the timing of temperature protection was in response to regulatory pressure. The beta testers said they didn't see the screen glitch. Longer beta testing would have been lovely in a perfect world but I have no quarrel with either Evolv or the beta testers given how hard regulators and vaping opponents are breathing down our necks

Making a credible case to regulators and the public that we know for a certainty what is in the vapor we are inhaling without temperature protection is a highly dubious proposition. Predictably, vaping opponents have had a long-running field day getting numerous sensational headlines in the press using unrealistic "research" protocols without temperature protection. :(

Companies that engage in the regulatory fight with their products, money and public support go to the top of my preference list when choosing how to spend my vape budget. I'm also willing to carry early adopter baggage for them despite my strong aversion to cranky electronics. In my view temperature protection is so critical in making the case for safe vaping that I would have been willing to spend my money to alpha test.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
The C mode was not a beta tested feature. So it's 100% wrong. And now you know, too.
Let's hope THIS time it will be on the dna25...which I basically said 30 posts ago but as I said 40 posts ago, English isn't your strength so you didn't get it again.

Oh, and I just lost $20 for posting this. I hope you're happy.

Regards
Tony

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
Brandon said that the timing of temperature protection was in response to regulatory pressure. The beta testers said they didn't see the screen glitch. Longer beta testing would have been lovely in a perfect world but I have no quarrel with either Evolv or the beta testers given how hard regulators and vaping opponents are breathing down our necks

Making a credible case to regulators and the public that we know for a certainty what is in the vapor we are inhaling without temperature protection is a highly dubious proposition. Predictably, vaping opponents have had a long-running field day getting numerous sensational headlines in the press using unrealistic "research" protocols without temperature protection. :(

Companies that engage in the regulatory fight with their products, money and public support go to the top of my preference list when choosing how to spend my vape budget. I'm also willing to carry early adopter baggage for them despite my strong aversion to cranky electronics. In my view temperature protection is so critical in making the case for safe vaping that I would have been willing to spend my money to alpha test.

This. They didn't rush the product to market for financial or competitive reasons. That was not a valid reason - cloners don't innovate. For christ's sake, Evolv is the only company I know of actually innovating to address regulatory concerns, what they are doing benefits every vaper. And this is how we treat them? I take issue with anyone being unfair to them because I understand this.

However, one thing -- the screen glitch was seen by the beta testers but only simultaneously with release. Boards were already shipping when it was seen.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Inappropriate

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Inappropriate

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
bunny.gif
[/IMG]
energizer-bunny_o_288008.jpg

Last edited:

ZeroOhm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
UK
I was just wondering did evolv do any testing on the DNA40? Reading the forums it seems for such an old product October 2014? There have been so many problems after 6 boards to date and the hassle of any non US returning them to evolv for there fast turn around and seeing clone boards that appear to out perform the original is it game over?

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side

ETA: just to be clear, I am not throwing retird under the bus, nor blaming him for this silly fiasco. We all know words on forums can always have the potential to lead to misunderstandings. Just quoting the post for background

Burping out loud using Tapatalk

Yes there have been more that a few "beta testers" filtering in and out of this thread and they only tried to assist and be helpful with what info and knowledge they may have. And yes I was/am a beta tester.

tchavei issues with C mode are posted here in many posts. He got his board RMA'd and should get a new one. Seems pretty simple to me that he had an issue and it got addressed by his vendor and Evolv. In previous posts it was pointed out that the beta test of the DNA40 did not include the C mode as it was a feature that was added later because those outside the US asked for it. Was it a perfect upgrade... no....but Brandon listened to them.

tchavei did "hope that [ they ] have checked the C mode" He was referring to the new 25 to which the response was that the new 25 had no C mode. Common sense says you cannot test a function that is not there and neither beta tests included the C function as it was not there to test.

Your post was the only one today I honestly felt like responding to. There is an "agenda" or "game if you will" being played out in this thread in which I will not participate in and for those PM's from posters here I'm sorry but they are unread and deleted. "Throwing people under the bus " is not something I want to do, nor will I here. I will just continue to be a participant in the many threads, forums, facebook pages, and beta testing and hopefully make just a very small contribution to this thing we call "vaping"...

Have a great day Kiwi.... :)

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side

Excellent post my friend... didn't see it earlier as I was typing my previous post.... I would "like" it twice if it could....

HolmanGT

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2013
St. George, UT USA
I was just wondering did evolv do any testing on the DNA40? Reading the forums it seems for such an old product October 2014? There have been so many problems after 6 boards to date and the hassle of any non US returning them to evolv for there fast turn around and seeing clone boards that appear to out perform the original is it game over?

Zero,

I sure hope the rash of problems from Evolv are over but you never know. They have done some foolish things like after shipping supposedly good boards adding a quick software patch for Celsius mode IMHO was not a very smart move. Most companies once they put a freeze on development you are not even allowed to change the type of conformal coating much less make a major software change.

Also if you read between the lines a lot of trouble people, including myself, had was Atty and/or connection problems. I only fault Evolv in this area for not being more active in helping early adopters of their product to deal with and solve some of these problems but it seems they went dark on most user problems. Then of course it became difficult to tell what was DNA40 problems and what was Atty and connection problems.

I'll tell you during the first week I had my DNA40 the Ni200 builds were causing me so much anxiety I was very close to ditching the DNA40 just to get my sanity back. And then when my unit displayed the "Screen Freeze" I went into some really deep buyer's remorse. I sent it in for repair and the repaired unit has been working fine ever since - "Knock on Wood".

Anyway ZeroOhm if you are thinking about buying a DNA40 I think you are on the safe side of the development time line. If you are going to go for a clone I might give that a little more time. AMDtrucking has a clone and says it works pretty good. It does have some of the screen glitches and doesn't have the "Pre-Boost" feature.

OK that's all I have... :2c:

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
I'm just not so sure the rush to market was solely due to any perceived/pending "regulatory pressure". There still isn't anything regulation wise- at least that I'm aware of- that would be negated by TC, even if it worked 100%. That leaves ME w/the impression that the too-early release was more to take advantage of the seasonal sales that come about towards the end of the year, especially in the U.S. And that in and of itself is understandable. It's the idea that it was all driven by altruism that I find... questionable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread