Rayon ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schatz

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2014
Tucson, Arizona , U.S,A
I rarely post my own threads, usually ljust read till I find my answers. But I am kind of short on time today and realize I am late to the rayon party but cotton has been not so bueno lately. Kind of short in the wicking dept. So thought I would give rayon a try, just curious even though I realize we didnt much care about what was in our cigarettes for many years now I kind of care. Thanks.

Reactions: Hitmetwice

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Just a quik question, with all the processing and chemicals used to make rayon do you still feel rayon is ok to use for vaping? I just purchased a box of rayon prior to reaerching how its made, and just curious what you guys think?
I have used Rayon for two years, and others a LOT longer.

dampfan

Jan 3, 2016
Germany
My experience: rayon (or synonym viscose) is a cellulose fibre, like organic cotton. unlike organic cotton the fibres are created artificially, e.g. from wood. because created articially, rayon fibres are longer and more consistent than organic cotton (or hemp or bamboo).

in my experience: rayon transports liquid much faster. mostly irrelevant for RDAs, relevant for many RTAs.
the capability to store liquid can be less than in organic cotton. rayon tends to be more fluffy than than organic cotton.
in my experience rayon can has much less resistance against overheat. on dry hits, rayon tastes much worse than organic cotton. completely dry it burns faster than organic cotton.

depending on how you vape, coil and wick it can be a gain to use rayon (faster liquid transport). rayon does have no taste, unlike some organic cottons.
but if your coils has hot spots or if you vape at high wattages/high temperatures, rayon might be the wrong for you.
if you vape at more moderate wattages, and if you have an RTA with leaking/flooding/gurgling probs, sometimes rayon can fix that. because of the faster liquid transport there is less danger of flooding/gurgling. not zero danger, but less.

at the small german town where i life, in the local drug store i can buy rayon cutton (sold for removing make up and so on). works fine for me as long as i do not overheat my coils. you do not need to buy special vapers rayon cotton to test if rayon is good for your wicks, or not.

Reactions: schatz

fido5150

Apr 28, 2013
United States
I vape at 35-40w and rayon works fine for me. In fact I've tried just about every wicking material and rayon wins in nearly every category.

It's tasteless.
It wicks amazingly well.
It's very tolerant of overpacking the coils.
You can vape it nearly dry.
It lasts forever (relatively).
It's cheap as dirt (a small $8 box of cellucotton will last you about 20 years).

I've been using rayon for about three years now, and I don't see ever changing to anything else. I change my wicks every three weeks or so, because they burn so clean that even after a week they barely show discoloration (vaping DIY Thug Juice).

If anybody out there hasn't tried rayon, I highly recommend it. I was skeptical until I tried it.

dampfan

Jan 3, 2016
Germany
It's very tolerant of overpacking the coils.

Yes, it is very elastic. You hardly can press it to a point where it doesn't transport liquid anymore. And it is more fluffy than many organic cottons. that might be the reason why it transports liquid better.

A con (imho) is that it cant stand overheating very good, and dry hits taste, well, even worse than with organic cotton like muji or ko gen doh.
if rayon lasts longer? i am not sure. might depend on the temperature level one is vaping.

Reactions: schatz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread