Seriously..... When Did Vaping Get Taken Over By The Scene Kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    So at my age, We'll just say passed 50 a long time ago, is it OK if I do those things?
    If I didn't blow my clouds out the car window, I'd hear the squawking from the passenger seat....."How long are you going to be doing THAT stuff"....me:IDK I have enough nic till I'm 83...

sincerelysasquatch

ECF Veteran
    Feb 23, 2014
    usa
    I think people have different definitions of a hipster. Hipsters aren't necessarily mohawked tattooed people. Most people like that are ok. I am one of those people. These are the kind of hipsters we have around here: http://threesonorans.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/a6f965536fdee4911834c31293bf2691.jpeg
    That is essentially their uniform. Yeah yeah you can't make assumptions about people based on their looks yet somehow they manage to be known as pretentious and rude. And they are the types hanging out at craft beer places and certain trendy vape shops, and working at the trendy vape shops around here. I know someone who went in and mentioned another, "inferior" vape shop and the guy working there, who I have met and he looks like that, laughed at him. in his face. Then again that is pretty much the dress code of the downtown crew in my city anyway, but there is a reason we don't go downtown much anymore. Hipsters are also mostly mid-late 20s to mid-late late 30s.

minitater

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2012
    tennessee
    www.minitater.com
    I'm 65 and have been vaping for five years. Back then, they had a battery that looked like a cigarette ( 808D?)
    and lasted a few hours before going dead. For the last few years I have found that my MVP2 and kanger TS3's work for me so I haven't had the urge to blow smoke. I understand feeling out of place among younger cloud chasers, but one advantage of being an old geezer is that I don't care what anyone thinks of my set up and I don't feel the need to upgrade and try hundreds of dollars worth of new juices. The problem with being 47 is that you might be young enough to still give a damn. Just wait. Like my 85 year old uncle told me last week "you don't know old yet."

WillieB69

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 4, 2010
    Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
    I think people have different definitions of a hipster. Hipsters aren't necessarily mohawked tattooed people. Most people like that are ok. I am one of those people. These are the kind of hipsters we have around here: http://threesonorans.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/a6f965536fdee4911834c31293bf2691.jpeg
    That is essentially their uniform. Yeah yeah you can't make assumptions about people based on their looks yet somehow they manage to be known as pretentious and rude. And they are the types hanging out at craft beer places and certain trendy vape shops, and working at the trendy vape shops around here. I know someone who went in and mentioned another, "inferior" vape shop and the guy working there, who I have met and he looks like that, laughed at him. in his face. Then again that is pretty much the dress code of the downtown crew in my city anyway, but there is a reason we don't go downtown much anymore. Hipsters are also mostly mid-late 20s to mid-late late 30s.
    Except I didn't say "hipster" which I agree is pretty much what you posted there.
    I would view someone like Rip Tripper as a hipster but less pretentious. Frankly, he cracks me up. Love his vids. I'd shop at his store if he had one.

I said, scene kids or "scenesters" which is basically this:
    https://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2...06/19/18/enhanced-buzz-3306-1400539654-20.jpg

Or this if you're a dude:
    http://t07.deviantart.net/MDDqnkj9c...ow_to_be_a_scene_kid___guys_by_nekogirlly.jpg

These are the late teens/early 20's crowd I was referring to.
    They are the ones who have basically taken over every shop in town.
    And I have nothing against how they look or dress. What gets me is the fact that if you just say "hello" to one of them, they act like you just touched one of their naughty places. "OMG..... This OLD person is talking to me and I had to stop posting on Facebook!"

Rule62

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    Gosh, I'm glad I'm old. I'm 68, and about as self sufficient as a vaper can be. There's not a single vape shop in my town, and there are many, that sells any of the mods or attys I use. I haven't been in a vape shop in probably 5 or 6 months. I have no need to. On the rare occasion where I might wander into one, it's only to see a friend, or maybe pick up a pack of Cotton Bacon, or look at the drip tips.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    Lol
    Kids always dress funny, I cringe when I think back to members only jackets and parachute pants.
    However,
    The rugged woodsy look with plaid shirts and long beards on "men" who wouldn't last an afternoon on a hike always makes me chuckle (and yep, they used to laugh at us too).

Kinda like wearing a wetsuit and not being able to swim.
    I sure don't feel threatened, and I dont judge them as people beyond their costume.
    I think it's insecurity that makes them try so hard to look like the belong in their group.

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2015
    Virginia
    Except I didn't say "hipster" which I agree is pretty much what you posted there.
    I would view someone like Rip Tripper as a hipster but less pretentious. Frankly, he cracks me up. Love his vids. I'd shop at his store if he had one.

I said, scene kids or "scenesters" which is basically this:
    https://ak-hdl.buzzfed.com/static/2...06/19/18/enhanced-buzz-3306-1400539654-20.jpg

Or this if you're a dude:
    http://t07.deviantart.net/MDDqnkj9c...ow_to_be_a_scene_kid___guys_by_nekogirlly.jpg

These are the late teens/early 20's crowd I was referring to.
    They are the ones who have basically taken over every shop in town.
    And I have nothing against how they look or dress. What gets me is the fact that if you just say "hello" to one of them, they act like you just touched one of their naughty places. "OMG..... This OLD person is talking to me and I had to stop posting on Facebook!"
    These are the kind i see. Those Rip tripper hipster types i can i think maybe my kind....maybe

Breezy Dawn

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2015
    Virginia
    Lol
    Kids always dress funny, I cringe when I think back to members only jackets and parachute pants.
    However,
    The rugged woodsy look with plaid shirts and long beards on "men" who wouldn't last an afternoon on a hike always makes me chuckle (and yep, they used to laugh at us too).

I sure don't feel threatened, and I dont judge them as people beyond their costume.
    I think it's insecurity that makes them try so hard to look like the belong in their group.
    Oh no,not the parachute pants,lol. I had a few pair :rolleyes:

Reactions: Bad Ninja

Rule62

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 28, 2011
    Melbourne, Florida
    Lol
    However,

I try very hard not to be too judgemental. I'm pre parachute pants era. I was around for the first bell bottom jeans, tie dyed t shirts, and long hair, 'never trust anyone over 30', and 'peace/love. The usual first greeting from oldsters was 'Get a haircut, kid'.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 26, 2013
    God's Country
    I try very hard not to be too judgemental. I'm pre parachute pants era. I was around for the first bell bottom jeans, tie dyed t shirts, and long hair, 'never trust anyone over 30', and 'peace/love. The usual first greeting from oldsters was 'Get a haircut, kid'.

I'm almost 50.
    Today I rarely trust anyone under 30.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 14, 2012
    U.S.
    Im in my 50s. As I was growing up seemed like all the "grown ups" were saying the same thing: Look at those kids, their music, ethics, manners, clothes, blah blah blah.

But there was always a few grown ups that took all changes as part of life and accepted, melded and had an open mind because they refused to "grow up" and let life make them narrow minded.

I said I was going to be the latter.

If you get narrow minded and close yourself off from the world, thats when you become the first type of grown up. Of course your going to become shocked, offended, or just not understand anything.

Every decade at least since the turn of the centuries have had "those crazy kids" that shocked the proper grown ups.

Everything old is always new again and vise versa. I will never let myself become one of those "old foagys"
    ( I hope :) )

smoking%20thru%20the%20decades-002_zpsmo2yxvqq.jpg

We are vapers

vapers_zpslqd0es8m.jpg

Last edited:

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 18, 2015
    I'm soon to be 47 years old. I've been successfully vaping for over 2 years now. I've ordered a vast majority of my stuff online but every once in awhile, I have to resort to running out to one of my local shops to get something that is an immediate need. (Ran out of cotton or my next juice delivery hasn't arrived.... etc.) Every time I go in these shops, I feel like the creepy old dude that shouldn't be there. They're filled with a bunch of late teen/early 20's kids with shaggy mop tops, gauged ears, pierced everything and skinny jeans. This is both the customers and the employees. I feel like everyone is staring at me like, "what's this old fart doing in here?"

I almost never see people my age vaping out in public unless it's an eGo stick or some other similar device. No one has mods or tanks except for the young kids. Then there's me with my little IPV D2 and Smok TFV4 mini. Meanwhile, the youngsters are all sucking on 200W mods with massive quad coil drippers and puffing away on such tasty sounding flavors like Dying Unicorn Blood and Sasquatch Poop.

I've been vaping off and on practically since vaping first became publicly available. I finally found stuff that worked for me and got off analogs completely. Now I feel like some old dinosaur trying to fit into some scene I'm not a part of just to get some cotton or a roll of wire.

So seriously, when did this become a "scene" thing?

They should be kissing your backside when you walk in. Us in the "over 50" crowd have way more disposable income than some hipster.

On another note: I've never been inside a vape shop in my life. Closest one to me is over 300 miles away....

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 18, 2015
    Other things being equal I think I'd rather see kids hanging out in a vape shop learning to vape than a bar learning to drink.

You are right about that. Lots of vices you could insert into that.

But still, its annoying to have a bunch of whipper-snappers looking at you like you are the freak or PITA for going into a vape shop. Especially if you have plenty of green in your pocket.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread