The Rattlesnake Effect- Why the Cheapo VV [Exception Itaste MVP] Don't Vape the Same as a Provari or DNA20D

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
I can definitely tell the difference of vape quality between types of devices. I had an Innokin SVD for a long time, and the few days before I got my Semovar I had been vaping Vanilla Custard on the SVD set at 6.5watts. I arrived at the figure of 6.5watts carefully, any lower and I had flavour loss, any higher and I got a burnt taste, using a Kayfun. I will add I wasn't enjoying the Vanilla Custard all that much. I had been all the way up and down the power range in VW mode trying to find that sweet spot for that particular eliquid and build. 6.5W was definitely the optimum power setting.

When the Semovar arrived, I took the Kayfun off the SVD, stuck it on the Semo, set it at the same power, and experienced flavour loss compared to the SVD. I had to up the power on the Semovar to 8W before I got a tasty vape. Pushing it further, I upped it to 9W and suddenly realised that this Vanilla Custard I had previously not been enjoying actually tasted amazing. Sweetness and richness came though. Putting it back on the SVD, tasted not so good at all. I was getting bitter notes from the SVD's 33.3Hz waveform.

Similarly, the pure power from a mech mod gives me such an unrivalled smooth flavourful vape. I can usually tell the difference, depending on the eliquid and how well my taste buds are working on any particular day. The latter can vary a lot

Little White Cloud

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2014
San Diego CA, USA
Interesting topic. I know a bit about pwm drivers for low resistances like our mods. Let me point out some things that are known that seem to be missing here.

PWM driving is more efficient than a flat dc voltage. A battery will last longer.

PWM will chop up the vapor as a flat dc voltage will more steadily cook.

The main difference here would be the the production of larger or smaller vapor particles and differences in heat build up. These factors are very difficult to measure but I would think the main variable in performance for taste would be one flavor vs another. How many flavors are out there?

Given all these variables I would suspect that each type of device would suit different flavors differently, so one is not necessarily better than another in all respects. Taste even depends on air flow, coil, and tank design.

I personally simply prefer a regulated driver for efficiency, no voltage drop, and the chopping effect, but that is just me. :)

Friscoweather

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
Texas
Interesting topic. I know a bit about pwm drivers for low resistances like our mods. Let me point out some things that are known that seem to be missing here.

PWM driving is more efficient than a flat dc voltage. A battery will last longer.

PWM will chop up the vapor as a flat dc voltage will more steadily cook.

The main difference here would be the the production of larger or smaller vapor particles and differences in heat build up. These factors are very difficult to measure but I would think the main variable in performance for taste would be one flavor vs another. How many flavors are out there?

Given all these variables I would suspect that each type of device would suit different flavors differently, so one is not necessarily better than another in all respects. Taste even depends on air flow, coil, and tank design.

I personally simply prefer a regulated driver for efficiency, no voltage drop, and the chopping effect, but that is just me. :)

How is pwm more efficient than flat dc?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

Little White Cloud

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2014
San Diego CA, USA
How is pwm more efficient than flat dc?

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

It has to do with the controlled output (regulation) and the nature of the duty cycle (on 50% off 50%). Some driver configurations are less efficient, but they are typically very high. Lets say a battery is getting low. Under heavy load the dc voltage drops to an unusable voltage. Regulation will keep the device working by maintaining voltage.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
I can definitely tell the difference of vape quality between types of devices...

I took the Kayfun off the SVD, stuck it on the Semo, set it at the same power, and experienced flavour loss compared to the SVD. I had to up the power on the Semovar to 8W before I got a tasty vape. Pushing it further, I upped it to 9W and suddenly realised that this Vanilla Custard I had previously not been enjoying actually tasted amazing. Sweetness and richness came though. Putting it back on the SVD, tasted not so good at all. I was getting bitter notes from the SVD's 33.3Hz waveform.

Similarly, the pure power from a mech mod gives me such an unrivalled smooth flavourful vape. I can usually tell the difference, depending on the eliquid and how well my taste buds are working on any particular day. The latter can vary a lot

:rolleyes:

Those who spend $200+ on a device can convince themselves of anything.

jhelliwell

Fog master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Sheffielld, UK
:rolleyes:

Those who spend $200+ on a device can convince themselves of anything.

Yeah fair enough. I know people who can't seem to tell the difference. I know people who can. I ran a similar test at a buddy's house with his SVD, DNA 30 and mech mod. The DNA 30 blew away the SVD on smooth flavour. We couldn't tell the difference between the DNA and the mech. He also had an MVP2 and although I thought the vape quality wasn't as good as the DNA30, the difference was so slight there wasn't enough in it to tell the difference.

Maybe we ought to run a blind taste test to remove the possible bias you speak of. My mate would have to hold the mod and fire it, and I would vape it.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I like my cheapo SVD, rattlesnake and all; $37 - fasttech.

z441u8Ol.jpg

Last edited:

ruet

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    GR, MI
    Yeah fair enough. I know people who can't seem to tell the difference. I know people who can. I ran a similar test at a buddy's house with his SVD, DNA 30 and mech mod. The DNA 30 blew away the SVD on smooth flavour. We couldn't tell the difference between the DNA and the mech. He also had an MVP2 and although I thought the vape quality wasn't as good as the DNA30, the difference was so slight there wasn't enough in it to tell the difference.

Maybe we ought to run a blind taste test to remove the possible bias you speak of. My mate would have to hold the mod and fire it, and I would vape it.

I began thinking of a methodology for this just after I posted. I would attach rubber tubing to the testing topper of choice. That way the device can remain a good distance away from the tester while being fired. The downside of this is that vapor temperature will be affected. I would not consider that germain to the test, however, as you are testing devices rather than toppers. I would also calibrate the testing devices so they are outputting identical power without regard to what they are set to. Also, earplugs should be used as PWM devices can be detected by ear.

Sptz

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Putting it back on the SVD, tasted not so good at all. I was getting bitter notes from the SVD's 33.3Hz waveform.

From the SVD's 33.3hz waveform really? Is there a 33hz sinewave going through the vapor onto your lungs? You wouldn't be able to feel 33hz from anything that small.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread