Not open for further replies.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
I guess I need to know what a non contact coil is also...meaning no contact with another coil(dual+) or the wick itself?

This would be a 'contact' coil. The loops are all together as tight as possible for a larger surface area..
28d119d580754752349d26f022dec1df.jpg

A non contact coil just means the wraps have gaps in between them.

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
This would be a 'contact' coil. The loops are all together as tight as possible for a larger surface area
AH yes I remember now, my mind went out to left field on this one....had the spaced coil been mentioned I would have caught on
db002cb0.x50.gif
....thnx!!!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I guess I need to know what a non contact coil is also...meaning no contact with another coil(dual+) or the wick itself?

Monotremata nailed it in the next post :)

People talk about contact coils sometimes so I have been describing spaced coils as non-contact coils lately.

OK, switching back to spaced coils. OTOH, that could also mean the coils are about to get the munchies .... No that was 'spaced out' ...

:lol:

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
cotton is forgiving, but there's a delicate balance between a good vape and a fantastic vape. Enough cotton to feed juice quickly, not so much that you don't get a full layer of juice between the coil and wick, and probably even some pockets of juice in the wick. I haven't perfected it, it's a zen exercise, like golf.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This would be a 'contact' coil. The loops are all together as tight as possible for a larger surface area..
28d119d580754752349d26f022dec1df.jpg

A non contact coil just means the wraps have gaps in between them.

That is a very clean build Monotremata. Nice work my friend :)

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I started with wrapping coils on a screw, so spaced; then switched to a nail, less spaced; then tightly wrapped micro coils; now micros but I don't put as much effort into getting them as tight and neat as possible, mostly because I'm lazy. That's over two years.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
That is a very clean build Monotremata. Nice work my friend :)

Id love to take credit for it but I found it on Google haha. I think it was from Pinterest. It was one of the few I could find that wasnt some crazy clapton or twisted build. I have a Coil Master now so I can do the coils that clean, but no matter how hard I try I can NOT bend my legs that neatly to position coils in my Derringer or Samurai Bonsai. I usually end up seriously tweaking the first couple wraps when I try to bend them at 90 degree angles like that. I dont know how people do that without tweaking the crap out of the coil!

I could only find a couple pics of a spaced coil, but the only one that was really clear was from here and I couldnt get the image address, kept getting a proxy error from the forum hehe.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Id love to take credit for it but I found it on Google haha. I think it was from Pinterest. It was one of the few I could find that wasnt some crazy clapton or twisted build. I have a Coil Master now so I can do the coils that clean, but no matter how hard I try I can NOT bend my legs that neatly to position coils in my Derringer or Samurai Bonsai. I usually end up seriously tweaking the first couple wraps when I try to bend them at 90 degree angles like that. I dont know how people do that without tweaking the crap out of the coil!

I could only find a couple pics of a spaced coil, but the only one that was really clear was from here and I couldnt get the image address, kept getting a proxy error from the forum hehe.
Coil leg bending made simple :) | E-Cigarette Forum

I don't go as in depth as he does in the vid, but I use some of the techniques and it helps.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com

Tweezers, my friend. Preferably two pair - one to keep the coil pinched down and the other to bend. I don't often centre my coils, but it does depend on the atty.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Tweezers, my friend. Preferably two pair - one to keep the coil pinched down and the other to bend. I don't often centre my coils, but it does depend on the atty.

See Ive tried it by leaving it on the Coil Master post and using some pliers but it never 'sticks', I usually end up doing something to the first wrap and my coil looks like its got downs syndrome. Im using 26ga now (was using 29 before) and the last two builds I did in my RDAs came out pretty good. Not pretty like the ones in that pic but fairly close. The 26 is alot easier to get to stay in place once you bend it than my 29 or 32 gauge wire.. 32 is a pain in the .... to form and get to stay in place, its just way too springy. Ill have to give it a try with the dual tweezers next time. Its almost time for a coil change in the Bonsai anyways.

Watching Drifters video that Lessifer posted now too.. Ive learned alot from Drifter so maybe this will help too haha.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Id love to take credit for it but I found it on Google haha.

You are a scholar and a gentleman Monotremata :thumb:

I think it was from Pinterest. It was one of the few I could find that wasnt some crazy clapton or twisted build. I have a Coil Master now so I can do the coils that clean, but no matter how hard I try I can NOT bend my legs that neatly to position coils in my Derringer or Samurai Bonsai. I usually end up seriously tweaking the first couple wraps when I try to bend them at 90 degree angles like that. I dont know how people do that without tweaking the crap out of the coil!

I mostly use 27 gauge Kanthal and I find I can't get them anywhere near that clean either. 24 gauge makes it easier, but I still don't get them like that. OTOH, other than for bragging rights, I doubt it makes much difference to the way they vape.

Going to have a look at Lessifer's link sometime to see what I'm missing and also try tweezers next time like Victor suggested. I can see how two tweezers could help. But I'm not going to sweat it ;)

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I don't bother with the leg bends every time, I only do it when I know that securing the legs is going to stretch the coil out more than I want it to. I don't have the nifty tweezers with the hole though, just pliers and regular tweezers. 28g, which I usually use, doesn't really like to stay put, 26g is nicer looking. Twisted 28g I don't even bother trying to get it pretty.

Reactions: Ryedan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread