What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
It's a fun weekend hobby to get into. Even if regular 12+ hour pork shoulders/beef briskets aren't your thing, there's plenty of shorter term stuff to be made. The eggs were only 45 minutes cold smoked, cheese/nuts I do around 2 hours cold. Ribs/jerky are around 6 hours at 250 degrees.

I use an electric smoker though, so it's very set it and forget it with the a-maze-n pellet tray. I'm sure people say it's an "outdoor oven" and not "real" BBQ, but it works great for me (aka lazy).

Those Big Green Egg style grills are sweet. Very versatile from what I've read. Not too difficult to adapt them into low and slow smokers. It'd be worth getting it rocking and rolling again, grilled/smoked food is highly addictive.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    The one I have now wasn't an expensive unit but it does an ok job. I think between the firebox and the grill I might have about 200 in it. The only down side on the one I linked is that the smoking area is about half of what I have now but I usually don't do that much at a time. That one would probably take a lot less fuel to do the same job.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Nice looking unit Hitt. Be warily of the side mounted smoker boxes. They has a tendency to paint peel and rust due to the heat. Most people end up having to strip and repaint with a better high heat paint. That and they can also suffer from leaks but those are easy fixes with some good high heat sealer applied during the assembly. I've had my eye on this bad boy for a while now but I'm holding off until I finish expanding my deck.

Camp Chef SmokePro Stainless DLX Pellet Grill

I've read nothing but good reviews for it and I've always wanted a pellet smoker/ grille and this'll do everything I need.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Sounds like a Bradley smoker. Nice units but you have to use their smoker pucks and they control the cost. Thanks, but no thanks. Plus a lot of issues with the chute getting clogged and the pucks only burning halfway. I wanted one until I started reading the negative reviews.

Reactions: hittman

The Rebel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2010
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    From a set it and leave it point of view, then yes. Especially this one as it has all the features of a more expensive unit. Digital heat control that automatically feeds pellets to the smoker to maintain temp. Dual temp probes for checking the grille temp and the internal meat temp. Easy ash clean out, which a lot of pellet smokers don't have. Plus an easy purge system to remove unused pellets to switch to a different wood. It may seem pricey but when you compare to a similar Rtec/ higher end pellet grille, it's well worth it. Read the reviews, it's hard to find a bad one.

Waho

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 22, 2010
    Michigan
    Sounds like a Bradley smoker. Nice units but you have to use their smoker pucks and they control the cost. Thanks, but no thanks. Plus a lot of issues with the chute getting clogged and the pucks only burning halfway. I wanted one until I started reading the negative reviews.
    That's why I went with a Masterbuilt, even though babysitting the stock chip loader is a pain in the .... compared to that puck feeder. It's not really an issue with the a-maze-n however.

The Masterbuilt's have a fair share of negative reviews also. My meat temp probe quit after the 5-6th cook. People have problems with the control panels dying, but I suspect they leave them outside and morning dew/rain/humidity get them.

They're fairly easy to repair yourself, and I figure I'll upgrade when it dies anyways. It'll make a good cold smoking box [emoji14]

I'll have to bookmark that pellet grill, that's a damn fine looking unit.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Well, in case anyone missed it, they've killed vaping in PA. I doubt any B&M will stay open and they're going after the vaper who buys out of state to the tune of 40% tax over the top of purchase price due on the 20th each month. They've even attached criminal code to not paying the tax. Glad I can live with snus alone.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yeah, stocked up but a felon subject to a potential 5 year gig if caught. I've heard two dates- August 1st and October 1st. How they apply I'm not sure. From what I'm reading, retailers have to pay their 40% tax on inventory in two weeks but that hasn't been confirmed. With everything the FDA is trying to do plus this legislation, I think they've pretty well killed the business unless lawsuits are initiated.

Users who are viewing this thread