hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    We are having what I call yoyo weather. Yesterday was 50, today and tomorrow are in the 30's, and we are supposed to be 60's Friday and 70's Saturday. It'll be warm a few days, cold a couple, and then warm again. I'm not really complaining except the temperature and humidity changes tend to make my legs ache. I know when I broke my foot that the doctor said I had arthritis in that leg. We have only had one snow and that's fine with me. According to the true fuel can, I can leave that in the snowthrower for two years.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    First snow of the season actually became a bust, thank goodness. 2 or 3 inches of the heavy sticky stuff. I went to blow it off the drive kicked a piece of wood into the impellers and broke the roll pins. Rather than tracking them down, I just ordered on the net. They should be here next week. That will give me time to figure out how I'm going to get them installed. Really tight quarters. You'd think they's provide a hatch or better access via the chute opening.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yeah FC, a gal that used to live near me moved to Buffalo area. After I posted my snow pic on FB, she commented that we had more snow than they had, Of course, she posted the next morning that they got a half foot over night and immediately tripled what I've had all year.

Life is tough in the e cig world as the FDA gets closer and closer to their desire to kill the industry to the detriment of the smoking community.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Anyone ever have to replace the roll pins on a snow blower? I'm looking for any tricks.
    I've got a 9 HP Craftsman that they broke on when a piece of wood got caught up in the impeller. All 4 ends of the pins are out of the impeller but for the life of me, I can't find them in the shaft.

I tried sticking a small nail into the hole and turning the impeller, hoping to feel the nail catch on the hole of the roll pin. Thought I had it once but no luck. Then I tried a mirror and flashlight with the same result. I finally got frustrated after a couple hours and gave up.
    I'm hoping tomorrow will lower the frustration and be more successful.

My game plan, since I tried both methods independent of the other is to combine them. I'll Use the nail to see if it can get caught up a bit and the flashlight and mirror if I get a bite. However, looking for all the help I can get, It's gonna snow sometime this winter. LOL

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yeah MMS, I had read that also. The steps were repeated in another thread, then someone posted about drilling a hole on the impeller housing and using a steel rod to knock out the old pins also.

I really believe if I can find the holes where the remainder of the pin remains, I'll be able to knock it out, at least I'm hoping. If I have to take the whole thing apart, I'd rather do it off season. We'll see if I have any luck tomorrow, or Friday or Sunday. The weather looks pretty good the next 10 days so one of those days should be worth a second effort.

Reactions: mmsjs5

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I haven't done one like that but changed the ones on a Honda track drive snowthrower we had at work. It had bolts and nuts instead of pins and when they broke, they fell out. Could you just drill new holes and put in break away bolts like ours has?

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Hitt, I had though about that Hitt. It would be so much easier if there was nothing in the hole, I don't know why they weren't designed with bolts in the first place. I really question whether the roll pins were designed to break. I think they may have just been weakened by rust and a little torque just snapped them off.

From the pictures of the bolts I've seen, It looks like there are snap points that would sit just outside the drive shaft.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Congrats on 7 years Roth. That's awesome.

I went in for my yearly check up this morning. I'm a few pounds heavier than last year but plan on working on that. I hate how when I gain weight that it always goes straight to my midsection. I can kind of tell that my doctor knows little or nothing about ecigs. I told him last year that I was just using ecigs and not smoking but he looked confused when I told him the strength in mg of liquid I was using. I have cut back from 24mg to 16 and 12mg since last year and told him that. He just said that I needed to get off the nicotine. I tried telling him last year that I didn't think that was ever going to happen but didn't feel like arguing with him. Last year my good cholesterol was just .9 under the good mark but my bad cholesterol was a little high by their standards but much lower than it was years ago. He did mention that getting off the nicotine would help with my cholesterol levels. I haven't told him about snus. I just don't feel like arguing with him about it. I would think that in this day and age that doctors would be more familiar with ecigs as much as usage has grown over the years. I don't know if I'll ever get off of ecigs. I'm a little surprised he didn't make a note on my chart about it last year. I hadn't been going for yearly physicals until the last two years. I just went to the doctor when I needed to. Now that I'm over 45, I figured I better start.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Hitt, I'd find another doctor. He obviously only pays attention to the pharma companies. I wonder what we would have said if you asked if it were better to just use nicotine gum to keep you from smoking. I can almost bet he'd be okay with it.

I keep thinking I should get a doctor but finding one that would accept my few of health care would be next to impossible. The health profession has convinced me that eventually I'll get lung cancer so why worry about it. I'm not going to do chemo so why bother. Then again, I play poker with a little 88 year old man who smoked longer than I did and he's going strong. Who knows but I really have no interest in having docs look for trouble at this point. Based on when I retired and when I should have retired, I'm over 80 already. Everything from here on in is a bonus in my mind.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Honestly the reason I started getting regular checkups is our insurance offers a discount for participating in their wellness program. I save a little over $25 a week by getting my checkup and wearing a Fitbit as long as I get enough steps a day.

Users who are viewing this thread