“Favorite Battery Company” Poll Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    The results of the 24-hour poll I put up earlier this week are in. I asked you to vote for your favorite battery company, manufacturer or rewrapper. Over 1,100 of you responded and Sony was, by far, your favorite. Thank you!

C995F229-54C8-4585-9A4F-0125B93CEFF9.jpeg

Though I asked just for a single company name a decent number of votes were for multiple companies, multiple batteries, had separate categories, etc. Many of these had to be skipped but the shorter responses had just the first company mentioned used as your vote.

I have some reservations about the results though. I think I did not word the title of the poll well.

In my mind I was asking who made or wrapped the batteries you like/use the most. But I think a lot of votes were for the company that you felt should be the favorite or the company you would like to use the batteries from. Not the company that actually makes or wraps the batteries you use most often. A few votes on Instagram were for a company that hasn’t even released its batteries yet

I get a very large number of messages about using rewrapped batteries but there were very few votes for any of those companies. This is what is making me think that many either felt they shouldn’t vote for a rewrapping company or didn’t want to deal with the possible abuse from other vapers after they posted they use rewraps.

So, what do you think?
    Are Sony batteries really that commonly used?

The next poll will be asking what specific battery you use most often.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    Of the about 100 vapers I know, most of them use Samsung (25R/30Q) or LG (HG2), followed by Sanyo (NSX). Due to the lack of availability of the VTC5A and the much higher price for the VTC6 compared to the other 3000mAh cells Sonys are merely a sidenote.
    To my observation rewraps are used most of the time by beginners only.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    The results of the 24-hour poll I put up earlier this week are in. I asked you to vote for your favorite battery company, manufacturer or rewrapper. Over 1,100 of you responded and Sony was, by far, your favorite. Thank you!

View attachment 732979

Though I asked just for a single company name a decent number of votes were for multiple companies, multiple batteries, had separate categories, etc. Many of these had to be skipped but the shorter responses had just the first company mentioned used as your vote.

I have some reservations about the results though. I think I did not word the title of the poll well.

In my mind I was asking who made or wrapped the batteries you like/use the most. But I think a lot of votes were for the company that you felt should be the favorite or the company you would like to use the batteries from. Not the company that actually makes or wraps the batteries you use most often. A few votes on Instagram were for a company that hasn’t even released its batteries yet

I get a very large number of messages about using rewrapped batteries but there were very few votes for any of those companies. This is what is making me think that many either felt they shouldn’t vote for a rewrapping company or didn’t want to deal with the possible abuse from other vapers after they posted they use rewraps.

So, what do you think?
    Are Sony batteries really that commonly used?

The next poll will be asking what specific battery you use most often.

Any poll that is created by you is more likely to be seen and answered by those people who actually follow you and pay attention to what you say.

Of course there is going to be the odd duck here or there, but that is going to be your largest audience.

You usually stress buying batteries that are authentic like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic or LG, and we in turn stress that to others - that way we know and can trust whats under the hood so to speak, within reason. It's safety plain and simple.

Therefore, a poll created by you is most likely to be answered by people who do the above, actually purchase batteries from those manufacturers..

And yes, I think among your followers, I likely have no doubt that Sony is the most popular. I use AW in my provaris and Sony in my more current mods. My son uses Sony in his more high powered mods.

I think most vapers gravitate to Sony.. they have a very versatile range of batteries and they last forever. :)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Any poll that is created by you is more likely to be seen and answered by those people who actually follow you and pay attention to what you say.

Of course there is going to be the odd duck here or there, but that is going to be your largest audience.

You usually stress buying batteries that are authentic like Sony, Samsung, Panasonic or LG, and we in turn stress that to others - that way we know and can trust whats under the hood so to speak, within reason. It's safety plain and simple.

Therefore, a poll created by you is most likely to be answered by people who do the above, actually purchase batteries from those manufacturers..
    Not just people who follow Mooch, but generally people who are active in online vaping communities and make most of their purchases from online vendors. I bought my first loose 18650s four years ago, before I ever heard of Mooch, but after hanging out here on ECF for several months. They were VTC5s from Orbtronic. I've never bought rewraps, and don't ever expect to.

Now if there was a way to poll the greater masses who don't frequent the on-line scene and buy their stuff from local B&Ms, I bet the results would be quite different. But of course, those folks are hard to reach.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I voted for Samsung. I've had great results with the 25R and my current battery of choice, the 30Q. I've also had good results with the LG HG2. I vape with a regulated 75W DNA mod at 30 - 40 watts, so they are ideal for my purpose.

I didn't choose Sony because of my own personal experience. I purchased a couple of Sony VTC4's about 4 years ago in vape shop. It was the only time that I have purchased batteries in a B&M, but I was going out of town for the weekend and wanted what was believed to be at that time (pre-Mooch era) a 30A battery; didn't have time for online purchase and delivery. Both died a premature death within several months of use. I used them in a mech with o.6 coil and used safe battery practices (checked wraps and rings), so I don't believe they were knowingly abused. Being that they were purchased from a B&M, maybe they weren't authentic Sony's. We all know how difficult it can be to weed out the counterfeits.

All in all, I personally believe it doesn't really matter which of the Big Three brands one uses as long as their specifications match up the same (Mooch's battery shootouts aside). For example, the Samsung30Q 3000mah 15A is nearly identical to the Sony VTC6 3000mah 15A specs. They're all great batteries and the average user would be hard pressed to notice the difference.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I voted for Samsung because that is what I actually use. As a MTL vaper I did try a higher rated Sony... Once. I'm quite certain it's an excellent battery.... For applications other than mine. The fact that Samsungs are less expensive is a bonus in my book but I genuinely voted based on what I use.

Anna

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    I've been using the same LG HG2's for the past couple years. They are finally starting to have some endurance issues. I think the next set I'll try is the Sony VTC6. I never go above 30 watts so amp rating is not an issue. I suspect the VTC6 is rated at 15 amps instead of 20 because there is a little less metal for moving the current to make rooom for more chemistry which I suspect will mean a bit more endurance and cycle life. Time will tell. The cost of any batteries adds up too pennies a day, not an important consideration for me.

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    Voting Sony is understandable and is psychologically explainable :D As soon as a girl tells you, she would not like to date you, you will try it harder, or as soon as a bar keeper tells you, he would not like to see you in his club...happens the same.
    It is this feeling of rejection, that thrill you :wub:
    I voted for Samsung SDI - the largest Li-Ion manufacturer in the world, with the biggest range of batteries, almost always available & have the lowest prices.

Reactions: stols001

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    I voted for Samsung. I've had great results with the 25R and my current battery of choice, the 30Q. I've also had good results with the LG HG2.

This is exactly where I am these days too Baditude :)

All in all, I personally believe it doesn't really matter which of the Big Three brands one uses as long as their specifications match up the same (Mooch's battery shootouts aside). For example, the Samsung30Q 3000mah 15A is nearly identical to the Sony VTC6 3000mah 15A specs. They're all great batteries and the average user would be hard pressed to notice the difference.

Yup, I feel the same way about it. Unless someone is pushing their batts hard, picking a great battery these days is pretty easy unlike a few years ago.

stormjib

ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2014
    California
    I use Sony, Sanyo, and LG...I voted for Sony for a couple of reasons; I wanted to participate and the vtc5a's are in my daily rotation, in my mechs...I could have just as easily voted for LG though, cause I love the hb6's. If you had asked which manufacturer I trust the most, it would probably be LG. Favorite is a slippery term, imo.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread