”Cheating” on the Molicel new battery poll...really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    It could be a good idea to do some actual “short circuit” testing in at least a good handful of cells from diverse OEMs and cell construction technology. When HKJ reviewed the Shockli notIMR26650 5500mAh he reported the following mishap, located between the capacity and 15A discharge temperature graphics in his review:

The two cells are very well matched and as usual I test them a bit above specifications. They handled 20A fine, but did not like 30A continuous, it blew a fuse inside both cells, preventing me from doing the rest of the tests

I do recall having read in some thread at BLF this safety “feature” is not permanent, it resets itself after some time. :blink:
    As I say above maybe Mooch would be willing to design some short of “short circuit testing procedure” and perform it in some OEM cells. Like spot welding a nickel tab between cathode and anode or soldering a nice wire between the two points. Oh :rolleyes: well, maybe we can come up with something better. In the meantime grab some lidded steel buckets or a small strongbox LoL. :D
    Take care.

Cheers :)

There are two types of internal protection types for cells (if installed). Not all cells have both and some cells might have neither.

One is a “PTC” (positive temperature coefficient) device that increases its resistance when the temperature rises too much, reducing the current flow from the cell. This devices only partially resets when the cell cools, resulting in a poorer performing cell from then on.

The other protection device is a “CID” (current interruption device) that is essentially a one time circuit breaker. It physically breaks the connection inside the cell at a certain temperature and pressure level and completely disables the cell. It does not reset. You can often hear the “click” when it trips.

Short circuit testing is messy and dangerous. The smoke and soot is toxic and contains a carcinogen (cobalt). Not great for a Manhattan apartment. Testing outdoors is not an option in Manhattan either as it would result in the police being immediately called, even before anything vented or went into runaway, since it would all look like a bomb to many people. :)

Trying to contain all the smoke is problematic at best and just results in a bad smelling, toxin coated test box that I would have to hide outdoors somewhere.

I don’t think the testing would be of much use though and could even be a real problem. Even if I tested several of each cell there’s no guarantee that every single one of that cell type would respond the same way. Not going into thermal runaway in my testing couldn’t guarantee that every cell would also not go into runaway.

In my opinion, it’s much better to work at preventing short circuits in the first place. Certainly not 100% successful, and never will be, but I think it’s the right way to approach our community's problem.

I also think that if any cell was short-circuit tested, and it didn’t go into thermal runaway, then vapers would feel they didn’t need to worry about the condition of their battery wraps or they would finally try that 0.03 ohm build they’ve always wanted to do. Others would see this and try the same thing with their cells, possibly leading to disaster. Anything posted publicly about this “short circuit proof” battery would just help to undo all the safety education we would still need for all the other cells out there....even if we could prove a cell was actually “short-circuit proof”.

Just some thoughts...

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    Short circuit testing is messy and dangerous. The smoke and soot is toxic and contains a carcinogen (cobalt). Not great for a Manhattan apartment. Testing outdoors is not an option in Manhattan either as it would result in the police being immediately called, even before anything vented or went into runaway, since it would all look like a bomb to many people. :)

Trying to contain all the smoke is problematic at best and just results in a bad smelling, toxin coated test box that I would have to hide outdoors somewhere.

We don´t want the FBI knocking on Mooch door :D even telling the truth in this case will be sound like the strangest excuse ever: "I was just testing the safety of batteries for vapers...":w00t:
    I can just imagine the headlines...

• Agree
    Reactions: Old Greybeard

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
    Aug 31, 2018
    Cumbria
    www.e-cigarette-forum.com
    Anything posted publicly about this “short circuit proof” battery would just help to undo all the safety education we would still need for all the other cells out there....even if we could prove a cell was actually “short-circuit proof”.

Or to quote a familiar phrase from the software development community - "It is rarely worth designing a system that is completely foolproof. Evolution will ensure an even bigger fool will be along shortly".

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    My take is “let them cheat all they want” and deal with the consecuences. In the days of roleplaying board games it was said the good masters kept a handful of apricot kernels to be undercover rolled instead of the actual dices in cases :D of need. This is like saying a good master didn't really cared about dice results.

Cheers :)
    That's debateable. Not all players enjoy railroading, but prefere a more open-world-approach and/or competitive playstyle instead.;)

• Agree
    Reactions: Barkuti

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    A lot is possible. But at what size, cost, and performance penalty? It’s a great goal, one that I want the most, but it will take some incremental steps to prep the market and mod manufacturers to the changes they would need to make to support such a cell (more like a pack).

Many things can be done with the cell itself but it might be LFP chemistry and might need to be in series for regulated mods since it runs at a lower voltage. It will be larger or lower capacity since LFP chemistry isn’t as energy dense as others. Supporting electronics are a great option but will take up room and add cost.
    I thought about this over the weekend and my imagination came up with some ideas.

Concerning making a safer Li-ion battery. This idea would need to involve both the battery manufacturers and mod manufacturers with mutual cooperation on both parts.

• Battery manufacturers could produce Li-ion cells which would be sold in tamper proof, removeable battery pack sleds or sleeves which could be inserted into specially made regulated mods which could accept the battery pack sleds.
    • Either the battery sleds or the mods would have BMS (battery management systems) like battery packs used in power tools.
    • Consumers could choose which battery or batteries that would be in the battery pack sleds, depending upon the specifications of the battery they wish to use.
    • This would eliminate the problem of battery shorts from mishandling the batteries (carrying batteries in a pocket) and eliminate the problem of battery shorts from torn insulating wraps or missing insulation rings.
    • Consumers would still be able to choose the battery or batteries for their particular application depending upon battery specifications like we do now.
    • The cells in these removeable sleds could be charged in special battery chargers designed specifically for them. These chargers could be manufactured by the battery manufacturer (like Efest and Nitecore does) or be commissioned to be made by reputable charger manufacturers like Efest, Nitecore, and Xtar.
    • Obviously, this concept would rely on the cooperation of both the battery manufacturers, mod manufacturers, and possible the charger manufacturers. And yes implementing such major changes in the industry would increase the costs to the consumer innitially, but which would benefit the industry overall by creating much safer vaping gear.
    I just don't want to see the day where our only option will be using only internal Li-po batteries exclusively and having to replace our mods every 2 - 3 years when the battery dies, and not being able to choose the specifications of the battery for the way I vape.

@Mooch, I would love to read your comments on this post.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: untar

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    Cooperation would be nice but I struggle to see that it would be viable. The big battery manufacturers don't do battery enclosures, that leaves only manufacturers that specifically target the vape market (which most explicitly don't). That or a vape manufacturer decides to sell batteries as well - unlikely. Both would have to make those batteries widely available or it'll be useless. Right now I can just pop into a vape shop and buy a battery if I'm out of town/out and about and in a dilly of a pickle, why would I want a device with a hard to get battery? (average consumer speaking)
    Then the price for such a battery would rise and with it the incentive to fake it. We'd know even less about what's really inside a plastic housing than we do now.

Don't get me wrong, I too think a real battery pack would be a giant step forward, I'm just not sure the industry is ready, serious and organized enough to take that step. Sad thing is if they don't they may be forced into the internal LiPo route. You got your FDA/CPSC clowns and the EU TPD3 (alternatively some foolish battery law) is coming with certainty.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Cooperation would be nice but I struggle to see that it would be viable. The big battery manufacturers don't do battery enclosures...

Don't get me wrong, I too think a real battery pack would be a giant step forward, I'm just not sure the industry is ready, serious and organized enough to take that step. Sad thing is if they don't they may be forced into the internal LiPo route. You got your FDA/CPSC clowns and the EU TPD3 (alternatively some foolish battery law) is coming with certainty.
    The Big Four battery manufacturers don't like their batteries being used for vaping because we use them without being in a battery pack and without battery management systems. Perhaps they would jump on board if the vaping industry implemented a system like I described above. I know I'm being optimistic, but that's where dreams and innovative products come from.

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    I know I'm being optimistic, but that's where dreams and innovative products come from.
    I think the most likely way would be if a really big manufacturer started to do 1-2-3 packs and the others get "inspired" to release mods that fit as well once the packs are available everywhere. The only one I can think of that probably has the money and distribution infrastructure to do this... you won't like it... *caugh* smok *caugh*

• Optimistic
    Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I think the most likely way would be if a really big manufacturer started to do 1-2-3 packs and the others get "inspired" to release mods that fit as well once the packs are available everywhere. The only one I can think of that probably has the money and distribution infrastructure to do this... you won't like it... *caugh* smok *caugh*
    You might be surprised by this, but I would welcome SMOK to do this. If it turns out to be successful, other manufacturers would be more willing to invest in such products. :shock:

• Agree
    Reactions: untar

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Pre-assembled batterypacks with protection-circuits that the Big4 approve?
    Great. I like to carry unwieldy bricks around:thumb:
    Not exactly something that I am looking forward to, either. However, with the direction that the FDA appears to be heading, it may be the only viable solution here in the States to be able to use replaceable batteries.

I'm well aware that folks in other countries probably don't have to worry about that scenario, but being in the States I do.

Reactions: mimöschen

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    I asked Enerdan today about placing a protection circuit on batteries and Mr. Rutzki, the General Manager sent me a link, that I share with you: Enerpower VC+ 3000 mAh 18650 30Q | Akkus für E-Zigaretten | inTaste The company InTaste sell their batteries with protection circuit for mech Mods.
    He said, that this is almost the highest CDR you can get on a coin type PCM (it looks like a coin). The main problem, is that the wire, that connects between the PCM and the upper side of the battery becomes so hot above 15A, that it would melt any PVC shrink.
    He told me, that they made experiments with 20A PCM, but it didn´t work...too risky...

• Informative
    Reactions: mimöschen

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I asked Enerdan today about placing a protection circuit on batteries ...
    PCM, if I'm not mistaken, are/were used on "protected" ICR batteries. They do not protect much against short circuits.

BATTERY-18500-BLACK-2.jpg

What's needed is a BMS (battery management system) like battery packs have. I would like to believe that they can be designed to be much smaller than this.

images

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    I would like to believe that they can be designed to be much smaller than this.
    Yes and no. Depending on what features you want (and how much current has to go through it) it can get even bigger. There's also smaller ones, eg smartphone batteries have a builtin BMS, but there's barely any current going through (well compared to our use that is). Flimsy conductors and massive current don't mix well. Yes I know the current doesn't go through the logic components, but there will be at least one component acting as a switch and that one has to be able to take the current.
    I don't know the exact size needed but this here should be about the lower boundary for size (46*20 *3.6mm, 20A temporary max current 13A continuous, 2 batteries)
    Li_Ion_BMS-228x228.png

Reactions: Baditude

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I thought about this over the weekend and my imagination came up with some ideas.

Concerning making a safer Li-ion battery. This idea would need to involve both the battery manufacturers and mod manufacturers with mutual cooperation on both parts.

• Battery manufacturers could produce Li-ion cells which would be sold in tamper proof, removeable battery pack sleds or sleeves which could be inserted into specially made regulated mods which could accept the battery pack sleds.
    • Either the battery sleds or the mods would have BMS (battery management systems) like battery packs used in power tools.
    • Consumers could choose which battery or batteries that would be in the battery pack sleds, depending upon the specifications of the battery they wish to use.
    • This would eliminate the problem of battery shorts from mishandling the batteries (carrying batteries in a pocket) and eliminate the problem of battery shorts from torn insulating wraps or missing insulation rings.
    • Consumers would still be able to choose the battery or batteries for their particular application depending upon battery specifications like we do now.
    • The cells in these removeable sleds could be charged in special battery chargers designed specifically for them. These chargers could be manufactured by the battery manufacturer (like Efest and Nitecore does) or be commissioned to be made by reputable charger manufacturers like Efest, Nitecore, and Xtar.
    • Obviously, this concept would rely on the cooperation of both the battery manufacturers, mod manufacturers, and possible the charger manufacturers. And yes implementing such major changes in the industry would increase the costs to the consumer innitially, but which would benefit the industry overall by creating much safer vaping gear.
    I just don't want to see the day where our only option will be using only internal Li-po batteries exclusively and having to replace our mods every 2 - 3 years when the battery dies, and not being able to choose the specifications of the battery for the way I vape.

@Mooch, I would love to read your comments on this post.

Great ideas and a worthy goal but I don’t think we will get the mod manufacturers to get together on a standard for this. The market is small IMO for a larger, more expensive device even if it is potentially safer. There’s no financial incentive yet for any company to create such a system, especially with the PMTA process set up the way it is. I think the FDA will change some of that now that UL8139 exists, and can help with safety for some mods, but who knows when.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    I don’t think waiting for a single company to establish a form factor or standard is the best idea. Smok may have the resources to pull something like this off, but in doing so it will promote competition which in turn will fragment the industry with many proprietary designs. A board, or panel of industry experts needs to be established so they can collectively work on a standard and manage a buy in from the industries top players. If we look at standards within the tech industry this is how they are established.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread