Mooch Poll: What is most important to you in a new battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am looking at the Bigger Picture. I chose "Change the positive end of the cells to make it harder to short circuit them". If they can do this without changing the physical dimensions of the cell so that they will fit in all of our external battery mods, I see this as the most important factor in battery safety.

:danger: The FDA is seriously looking into Underwriters Laboratories' recommendations to eliminate the cylindrical Li-ion batteries (external batteries) that many of us now use in favor of the exclusive use of non-removable Lipo batteries. The tops of our cylindrical Li-ion batteries present a known danger of short circuits simply by their design and transporting them inappropriately. A safer physical design that can prevent inadvertant short circuits might well save our right to use removeable cylindrical Li-ions.

New proposed FDA and UL guidelines for e-cigarette manufacturers that will affect YOU.

I don't want to have to buy a new mod everytime that my internal battery dies. But that will be the norm should the FDA adopt the UL recommendations. All the other poll choices will be moot if that occurs.

Last edited:

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England
I voted for a better 18350 cell, but what we really need is a good button top that will fit an older Provari 2.5. I didn't see a choice for button tops, unless the one for the "mech mods" was meant to be a button top style.
Lets hope they do that then rather than the others so i can use them in all my devices that use 18350 batteries.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't see 18350 making a comeback anytime soon. Unless you get some manufacturers on board to actually make devices that take them there's just no customers (compared to other cells).
I tend to agree. Also taking into account the poorer performance (capacity and amp rating) of the 18350 batteries. Maybe the 18350 batteries are adequate for the Tootle Puffers niche, but not adequate for the vast majority of vapers.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
I voted for availability because it's hard to get the darn things in the EU. Don't care what features they have if I can't buy them ;)
Hmm. So far I haven't had any problems obtaining high quality cells in the EU.

@Baditude
Making the cells safer would be a nice addition for sure. Luckily only a minority is under US jurisdiction, so those stupid FDA regulations probably aren't their main concern.

Reactions: stols001

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't see 18350 making a comeback anytime soon. Unless you get some manufacturers on board to actually make devices that take them there's just no customers (compared to other cells).
Probably true. Although, a "better" 18350 cell (say 15a, 1100mah) might bring some new mods to the table. I still like and use a couple 18350 mods, but accept that they will probably end up shelved due to lack of cell availability. I just ordered a few more 18350 cells, so these won't see the shelf just yet:

GunqABx.jpg

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2018
Berlin
Frankly speaking, If we consider how many accidents world wide we have with eCigs and batteries and compare it with car accidents...I don´t see anyone, who tries to "kill" the cars, like the authorities do with ecigs. And I am sure (even if I don´t have the statistics), that many more people are killed on the streets in absolute figures, but also in percentage in comparison to eCigs...and also more people are killed (at least in the states) while using personal weapons.
Further I am sure, that if we analyze the reasons for accidents on eCigs, we most probably find out, that defetive batteries do not even make 1% of that. Human being behavior (like carrying batteries with keys and coins in the same pocket, using damaged batteries) would be one of the big reasons, as well as Hardware mistakes.
...and with Mooch contribution to battery safety (or customer education) we can even reduce the Human being mistakes.
So what we need the most in my opinion are so-called agile methods to establish our "own" safety guidelines. And if a "rebranding" company instead of being honest and correct is attacking Mooch for his contribution, we must show them that they are not welcome anymore in our society. Amen :D

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
I am clearly in the minority, but I chose
"Model number and ratings laser etched on the metal can"

I figure market competition will drive them to achieve better specs, but by knowing the authenticity of a cell I can then choose from the specs needed for a given application. (regardless of rewrap)

Reactions: Oregon Linda

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

I figure market competition will drive them to achieve better specs, but by knowing the authenticity of a cell I can then choose from the specs needed for a given application. (regardless of rewrap)
That would require Lg, Samsung, Sanyo, and Sony to comply with laser etchings, and we know that's not going to happen. Why would they, they don't even want vapers to use their batteries in the first place?

Rewrappers could easily laser false ratings on the can just like they put false ratings on the wrapper. In all due respects to your idea, I don't see your idea working to eliminate false ratings. Besides, this is a poll for one specific cell manufacturer.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
That would require Lg, Samsung, Sanyo, and Sony to comply with laser etchings, and we know that's not going to happen. Why would they, they don't even want vapers to use their batteries in the first place?

Rewrappers could easily laser false ratings on the can just like they put false ratings on the wrapper. In all due respects to your idea, I don't see your idea working to eliminate false ratings. Besides, this is a poll for one specific cell manufacturer.
I would assume (dangerous I know) that if they laser etched model/specs etc they could/would also laser etched a s/n or barcode, or other production line data that could be validated.

As for the others doing it, like you said, we only talking about one mfg, although it could start a trend.

For me, not being able to trust what I "think" I am buying is actually what I am buying is a big deal.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
For me, not being able to trust what I "think" I am buying is actually what I am buying is a big deal.
That's why we say:

• Buy only from trusted vendors known to sell authentic Lg, Samsung, Sanyo, and Sony batteries who are able to source from trusted distributors.
  • Refrain from buying batteries from EBay, Amazon, or vape shops.
  • Don't buy brands known to be re-wrappers.
I realize the above don't comply with the smaller (18350, 18500) or larger batteries (21000, etc) batteries which may not be manufactured by the Big Four companies. Batteries will always be counterfeited by disreputable vendors and laser etching can be easily done by them, too.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2017
Bolton, England

No that's what i checked as i thought it benefited the whole vaping community, was tempted by going for the 18350 cells but then thought 1, it would be a selfish and wasted vote as not many people need them and 2, it then dawned on me i don't have a single 18350 device.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
That's why we say:

• Buy only from trusted vendors known to sell authentic Lg, Samsung, Sanyo, and Sony batteries.
  • Refrain from buying batteries from EBay, Amazon, or vape shops.
  • Don't buy brands known to be re-wrappers.
I realize the above don't comply with the smaller (18350, 18500) or larger batteries (21000, etc) batteries which may not be manufactured by the Big Four companies.
All of which I observe.

Like I said, I am clearly in the minority, nonetheless thats where my values lay if considering a 2nd tier mfg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread