Mooch Poll: What is most important to you in a new battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

untar

Vaping Master
Feb 7, 2018
Germany
Both nkon and akkuteile sell the Molicel 20700 under the EnerCig brand
Good to know, never looked into enercig. Seems they are a Germany based rewrapper and I'm inclined to believe they're more trustworthy than iJoy (who iirc also used a molicell for their 5 leg 20700, we all know what happened next :D).

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
Good to know, never looked into enercig. Seems they are a Germany based rewrapper and I'm inclined to believe they're more trustworthy than iJoy (who iirc also used a molicell for their 5 leg 20700, we all know what happened next :D).
EnerCig is a brand from Enerdan, who offer battery solutions for the industry.
I don't think they'd risk their reputation by selling crap to the masses.;)

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I voted for a better 18350 cell, but what we really need is a good button top that will fit an older Provari 2.5. I didn't see a choice for button tops, unless the one for the "mech mods" was meant to be a button top style.

Button tops are added by the rewrappers, distributors, resellers, etc. I don’t think any button top cell is available from a large battery manufacturer except from China. They’re just spot welded on to flat top cells.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Most important to me is an honest and accurate rating. I don't see that on the list, so I guess I'll sit this one out.

That is added by the rewrappers on the wrap and not handled by the manufacturer of the cell. :)

Unless you are referring to the manufacturer’s datasheet but those have been accurate from all the manufacturers (as long as we understand what the criteria were when setting the rating).
    Some datasheets have had lmax” and temperature-limited ratings in them but those were created for their intended applications.

You can vote for laser etched ratings on the can as it would be understood that no one is voting for inaccurate ratings on the can. :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Lithium cells can't go away ... I have three Cree LED flashlights that need to shine brightly! But, those generally draw less than 5 amps on the brightest setting. There's still the possibility that the positive pole can short. Lots of those flashlights have the spring against the LED where the positive battery pole makes contact, not the tail cap.

I vote for a safer chemistry 30A cell. Why not make it safer instead of discouraging sales to anyone who needs quality electronic power? I wonder what the military uses? Probably engineered power packs like the airlines.

Last edited:
    Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    @Baditude
    Making the cells safer would be a nice addition for sure. Luckily only a minority is under US jurisdiction, so those stupid FDA regulations probably aren't their main concern.
    Safer cells would be a benefit to all consumers worldwide who use Li-ion batteries. Just might help eliminate the popular quote, "E-cigarettes will explode in your face!"

christmas-story-vape-jpg.599167

I'd like to see a percentage breakdown of US vs. the rest of the world for the vaping industry. I bet it is much larger than you assume it is.

Last edited:

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    I won't deny that safer cell cans would be very nice. Especially for beginners.But to be honest, that's not my foremost concern, because I know how to keep my cells in good condition, without being treated like a baby by my government.
    Aside from that, it's more important for me to get a reliable and good performing cell with adequate ratings. Not having to resort to chinacrap, harvested or b and c grade cells is something that absolutely has a higher safety priority imo.

No matter how high the percentage of US vapers worldwide might be, it's nowhere near the 100% or even 50%, and you need to target the whole market to be profitable.

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    No matter how high the percentage of US vapers worldwide might be, it's nowhere near the 100% or even 50%
    Not so sure about the not close to 50%
    graph_large.png

_101799290_chart-topmarketsforvapeproductsglobally-wpdqn-nc.png

Yeah that's quite old, newer usually costs money...
    Of course that's absolute numbers, not percentage of population, then I think the UK would be first.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Personally, in the future I see a shift toward the use of LiFePO4 batteries for vaping, as their specifications matches the requirements of vaping much more closely.
    Not sure how it matches the requirements of vaping more closely unless you are speaking strictly about the safest lithium chemistry. It's not used in vaping because it's voltage output (3.2 volts) is not anywhere near what the other chemistries are capable of or what our current vape devices require. To be used for vaping, multiple LiFePO4 batteries would need to be used simultaneously to achieve required voltages and the entire concept of power delivery and juice delivery devices would need to drastically change.

Types of Lithium Ion Batteries - Battery University

Last edited:

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 29, 2017
    Bolton, England
    Not so sure about the not close to 50%
    graph_large.png

_101799290_chart-topmarketsforvapeproductsglobally-wpdqn-nc.png

Yeah that's quite old, newer usually costs money...
    Of course that's absolute numbers, not percentage of population, then I think the UK would be first.
    Yep like recent Olympic games and things like boxing champions etc when again you compare to population US only come out on top by having a vast population, pound for pound we kick their .... lol

Reactions: stols001

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2015
    Kent - United Kingdom
    3.2 Volt is more than enough to power any regulated mod, if it is designed to operate at lower voltage.
    LFP have 2000 cycle life and 20 years calendar life. Just some lower power density in exchange of a much lower IR, that can't be easily achieved with Co and Mn cathodes.
    Conceptually the battery would be built in and possibly with a longer life of the rest of device.
    Reasons why aren't used in vaping, is that they are much much more expensive than LiMn, the patents are fully active, and the Chinese don't have a clue about microspheres.

• Disagree
    Reactions: Baditude

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    3.2 Volt is more than enough to power any regulated mod, if it is designed to operate at lower voltage.
    LFP have 2000 cycle life and 20 years calendar life. Just some lower power density in exchange of a much lower IR, that can't be easily achieved with Co and Mn cathodes.
    Conceptually the battery would be built in and possibly with a longer life of the rest of device.
    Reasons why aren't used in vaping, is that they are much much more expensive than LiMn, the patents are fully active, and the Chinese don't have a clue about microspheres.
    LFP cells have some real benefits but their low voltage under a decent load, around 2.8V, makes it a lot tougher for boost voltage regulators to operate. LFP cells also have pretty low capacities for their size compared to the other more energy dense chemistries.

Having said that, LFP is a lot less volatile when abused and can deliver some incredible power.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread