1.3 is out

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Temple, Texas, United States
There's a big difference between a garbage update and an update that you don't personally like..

So says you. The update is pretty lackluster. I think it's garbage, so for me it must be a garbage update. Or just because you like it does it make it not garbage?

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
If you change the volts, the watts change. If you change the watts, the volts change. This is all part of ohm's law.

P(Power)=I(Current)*V(Voltage)

I think maybe what he's saying is that when you change WATTS on the device, that you get more fine tuned voltage settings than you do by changing your volts in .1V increments. When you change watts on an eVic you are actually getting voltage changed in .01 increments.

Either way, I love that they put sleep at the top when you press the button 5 times now!

I liked adjusting voltage by .1 over a set period. Adjusting the watts just doesn't make sense to base it on a juice. I've been playing with it and just having the wattage fluctuate based on a juice over different resistances has not provided the same flavor, vapor, or throat hit.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I liked adjusting voltage by .1 over a set period. Adjusting the watts just doesn't make sense to base it on a juice. I've been playing with it and just having the wattage fluctuate based on a juice over different resistances has not provided the same flavor, vapor, or throat hit.
Watt adjustment on eVic is 1.w = to .03v much more accurate than .1v adjustment. If you don't like it - DOWNGRADE:)

boshans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
New York, USA
  • Deleted by Caridwen
  • Reason: keep comments civil

Disconnect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2013
Washington DC
Either way you can just look at a ....ing ohms law graph of watts/volts and set the the same exact settings you had with the mvrvv, but only in watts. You can still make it do the same thing, you just need to use your head for a second.

verizor-variable-voltage-chart.jpg

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
  • Deleted by Caridwen

boshans

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
New York, USA
  • Deleted by Caridwen

Disconnect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2013
Washington DC
  • Deleted by Caridwen

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
Here's an interesting read, since what we want/need to do is heat our favorite juice to our own individual preferences. Seems it's all about the watts.

Question

How is the measurement Watts related to temperature in terms of energy?

Answer

A Watt is a unit of power, defined as the rate of energy transferred [per second]. The energy is usually defined as Joules; therefore, one Joule per second is one Watt.
When measuring heating effects, a unit of thermal energy known as a calorie is used. One calorie is 4.184 Joules.

Materials have a property called thermal capacity or specific heat. This is a measure of how many calories are needed to raise 1.0 gram of the material one degree Centigrade. The thermal capacity of water at 15 deg. C is 1.0 calorie. That is 4.184 Joules or 4.184 Watt-seconds. The entire energy could be transferred to the water in one millisecond at a rate of 4184 watts to produce the same temperature rise of one deg. C.

The above provided by: Scott Wilber, President, ComScire - Quantum World Corporation

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
I didn't know I should be hanged and burned at the stake for preferring something other than what some of you think I should. My preferred method of adjusting power is my preferred method no matter what anyone with a serious lack of tact and self control says. This whole freaking thread was my opinion on 1.3. I'm sorry some of you can't understand that and got butthurt and felt the need to criticize and name call.

So from now on, if you don't like my opinion go somewhere else and start a thread with your own thoughts instead of trolling. Ohm's law this Ohm's law that.

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
Watt adjustment on eVic is 1.w = to .03v much more accurate than .1v adjustment. If you don't like it - DOWNGRADE:)

Not sure how that equates to more accurate. If I want my voltage at 4.2 but get 4.24 with 8ish watts that is .04 higher than I wanted. Unless changing the volts by .1 is actually .1(*)+/- thereby making the voltage display only partially correct.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Not sure how that equates to more accurate. If I want my voltage at 4.2 but get 4.24 with 8ish watts that is .04 higher than I wanted. Unless changing the volts by .1 is actually .1(*)+/- thereby making the voltage display only partially correct.

No, that does not mean it is less accurate, it means it is more precise. If you want 4.2 volts exactly then just switch to VV mode. What he is saying is that the volt increments in VW are finer than in VV mode.

You can have with a 2.1 Ohm coil:
at 8.4 watts=4.17 volts
at 8.4 watts=4.2 volts
at 8.5 watts=4.22 volts
at 8.6 watts=4.24 volts
etc.

It is not that the display is incorrect, it is just adjusting the watts by 0.1 at a time resulting in changes in the volts of 0.02 or 0.03. This changes with the ohm rating of the coil, but either way it adds a few steps between the 0.1 volt increments.

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
No, that does not mean it is less accurate, it means it is more precise. If you want 4.2 volts exactly then just switch to VV mode. What he is saying is that the volt increments in VW are finer than in VV mode.

You can have with a 2.1 Ohm coil:
at 8.4 watts=4.17 volts
at 8.4 watts=4.2 volts
at 8.5 watts=4.22 volts
at 8.6 watts=4.24 volts
etc.

It is not that the display is incorrect, it is just adjusting the watts by 0.1 at a time resulting in changes in the volts of 0.02 or 0.03. This changes with the ohm rating of the coil, but either way it adds a few steps between the 0.1 volt increments.

I understood that he was saying they were finer. I was confused by the "accurate" part. I know adjustments in the 1/100 are finer than those in 1/10.

I'm not a dimwit(not saying you're saying or implying I am). I know what and why all this stuff is supposed to do what it does(context?) The whole point of this thread was to express my low opinion of the new firmware because I don't like the feature changes/additions. Like the stealth mode not counting towards the puff counter. If they just made the screen stay black and that was it I'd like it. I want my puffs to register to the counter though. Why would anyone not want their puffs to show up? It defeats the whole purpose of having the counter and being able to set alarms. Unless it's like "Oh noes my puff limit for the day is almost gone and it's only noon. I gotta go to stealth mode so my mommy/gf/wife/whatever doesn't think I went over when she checks it before bedtime tonight."

I understand everything about the watts and volts deal. I personally don't get the same flavor at the same watts across different resistances with the same juice. Maybe I'm the only one.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I understand everything about the watts and volts deal. I personally don't get the same flavor at the same watts across different resistances with the same juice. Maybe I'm the only one.
Probably not the only one and even with VV adjustment most would note differences.
Resistance differences = different coils/varying warp patterns/Coil tightness and so on. Even with the same resistance, but different coil heads(i.e. (2) Kanger 2.5 ohm coils) I can often tell a difference.
I have a feeling this is an issue that will never completely be solved.

ita

Reviewer / Blogger
Verified Member
Mar 18, 2011
Portugal
vaper.imbl.net
Like the stealth mode not counting towards the puff counter. If they just made the screen stay black and that was it I'd like it. I want my puffs to register to the counter though. Why would anyone not want their puffs to show up? It defeats the whole purpose of having the counter and being able to set alarms. ...
I have v1.3 and using stealth mode i still get my puffs counted... even towards the alarm. :?:

TrainingDummy

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2013
I have v1.3 and using stealth mode i still get my puffs counted... even towards the alarm. :?:

Really? Maybe I misunderstood the "patch notes". I read it as when you select stealth mode on the first vape the screen will show but the next one the screen will be off and neither will be on the puff counter.

From the MVR details at the joyetech site.
4. Stealth mode function
Stealth: When you turn on this function can you vapor in the stealth mode: when the screen is working, the first puff you vapor will the screen last working and won't turn to the puff count, while begining with the second puff will it turn dark and won't turn to the puff count either. You can vapor normally as usual when you turn off this mod.

After having read it again I get that it means the "puff timer" rather than the "counter". I retract all previous statements about the stealth option. Maybe they should get someone that speaks actual English to write their notes next time lol. I got lost in the translation.
I will be using stealth now.

Edit: I left the first part of my reply because I didn't think to check the site until I had typed it so...

BostonVape

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2013
BeanTown
So says you. The update is pretty lackluster. I think it's garbage, so for me it must be a garbage update. Or just because you like it does it make it not garbage?

I didn't even say if I liked it or not so try again.

How about you make a thread called 'is the new evic 1.3 update garbage?' and let people decide, instead of pretending that your opinion matters for everyone.

niterider

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
State College, PA
Probably not the only one and even with VV adjustment most would note differences.
Resistance differences = different coils/varying warp patterns/Coil tightness and so on. Even with the same resistance, but different coil heads(i.e. (2) Kanger 2.5 ohm coils) I can often tell a difference.
I have a feeling this is an issue that will never completely be solved.

This. Doesn't matter if you're using an eVic or a Vamo. The same wattage across different resistances will always be different due to the varying degrees of coil contact. It has nothing to do with the firmware.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
This. Doesn't matter if you're using an eVic or a Vamo. The same wattage across different resistances will always be different due to the varying degrees of coil contact. It has nothing to do with the firmware.

Redundant much? That's what I said. Manufacturing differences and even DIY building variation will always cause moderately different end results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread