MVR 1.3 Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

weisner

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
That sounds like a "Work" question. Shouldn't you be considering Lion or Mountain Lion? Snow Leaopard was released in 2009.
Sorry, not trying to be a "bleeped this word out". I expect that the software is engineered for current version of the OS thus Lion or newer. It may however be backward compatible.

The best this systems admin can tell you is T.Y.F.O. , none of my current MAC clients are having issue

Has anyone tried the OSX update on Snow Leopard yet?

pcrdude

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2013
Snow Leopard is the "XP" of OSX ;) There are things about it that are worth keeping, and I am not one to upgrade just to upgrade.

See:
Snow Leopard users: Just try to pry this from my cold, dead hands - Computerworld

In addition, my Macbook Pro is not capable of running Mountain Lion :( (Original 2.16 gHz Core Duo).

The reason I asked is MVR didn't work on Snow Leopard when I first bought my eVic, but joyetech sent me a version that did. I was wondering if they engineered it to work with SL from the get-go, since this isn't Mars targeting and entry trajectory calculations we are dealing with here. Thinking about it a little more, if my MVR version works with SL, then it should be able to use the 1.3 firmware file on upgrade, no?

:D

What does TYFO stand for?

weisner

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
I see your point clearly re: OSX. Sorry about the tech geek/roll playing slang TYFO = "Try it and Find Out"

Snow Leopard is the "XP" of OSX ;) There are things about it that are worth keeping, and I am not one to upgrade just to upgrade.

See:
Snow Leopard users: Just try to pry this from my cold, dead hands - Computerworld

In addition, my Macbook Pro is not capable of running Mountain Lion :( (Original 2.16 gHz Core Duo).

The reason I asked is MVR didn't work on Snow Leopard when I first bought my eVic, but joyetech sent me a version that did. I was wondering if they engineered it to work with SL from the get-go, since this isn't Mars targeting and entry trajectory calculations we are dealing with here. Thinking about it a little more, if my MVR version works with SL, then it should be able to use the 1.3 firmware file on upgrade, no?

:D

What does TYFO stand for?

smalltwig

Sep 16, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah, it's not what I'd call sturdy, but most electronics are not. I don't consider the evic more or less fragile than any other electronics that I carry with me daily - phone, tablet, bluetooth, etc. None were meant to be physically abused and live to tell. I know a lot of people hate on the evic because it's not rugged enough, but I think that some are expecting it to be something it's not. At the end of the day, it's a electronic device, and as such lacks any real durability. Would I buy another one if mine broke? Yes. I'd also get another cell phone if I broke mine.

That being said, I'd like to see the new version with improvements made to durability as much as possible. I'd like to see someone develop some kind of case for these, like you have on a cell phone - an otter box for the evic.

I am wondering though, how many do you see that fail due to design flaws rather than human error? Do they tend to be hardware or software failures?

Honestly, I think this thing is pretty durable. I have the 2 screw updated version. Been dropped a number of times. Also, it found its way into my sink during a hand wash. The fittings were tight enough that no significant amount of water got through, circuits undamaged. It was even hurled at a plaster wall (drunk argument flared up) and survived. The atomizer (ismoka 3.5ml clear) was sideways in the treads... unscrewed and screwed back in no problem.

Soundhunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
Love Field
While all this may be true (though your 1% number's obviously made up, especially since you seem to be counting people who don't come to forums among the "good eVic" people), I can say the two eVics I had were the absolute worst things I've used, reliability-wise. Both dead. Of the over well 20 PVs I've used since I started, only 3 have gone belly-up, and two are eVics.

Then I ripped the head off one just screwing on an atty to take a picture of it, but it was already dead so I guess that doesn't count.

I may be a special case, but considering we're only a few months since the eVic's launch, I wouldn't be crowing about its reliability yet.

I would tend to agree with most of this (especially the 1% part).. I have had the eVic head pop off from just being in my pocket and bent slightly.. but I will tell you this .. Thing is miles better than that cheap-a** Vamo piece of junk everyone seems to think is such a "bang for your buck" - I would take this in a heartbeat over it... better performance and reliability - even with a "wonky" fitting head.. Is it my provari or my mech mods in terms durability?.. no.. but it doesn't cost as much either and makes a very nice second device for sure - especially with the siam mods tube set.. I'll take it :)

DaxFX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Puerto Rico
I have both eVic (new version) and Vamo v2.. And i have to admit my vamo feels much better than the evic, the evic have a very cheap feel in the hand and my ss vamo feels rock solid. I do love my evic dont take me wrong the screen is awesome with all data in there, but my vamo hits harder with a higher amp rating than the evic.

My evic wont go out never, my vamo in shorty mode go with me everywere
huzahy7e.jpg

Sent from my iVap using Tapatalk HD

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
I have both eVic (new version) and Vamo v2.. And i have to admit my vamo feels much better than the evic, the evic have a very cheap feel in the hand and my ss vamo feels rock solid. I do love my evic dont take me wrong the screen is awesome with all data in there, but my vamo hits harder with a higher amp rating than the evic.

My evic wont go out never, my vamo in shorty mode go with me everywere
huzahy7e.jpg

Yeah, my thoughts exactly! My eVic never leaves the couch, my Vamo is my out and about device.

MsComptrtchr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Tucson, it's a dry heat
I've got the eVic rigged on a lanyard now, so I feel better taking it in public. It is safely ensconced between my . . . well, shoulders, lol. The Vamo was just too heavy for me, though I liked the buttons (very clicky and solid). It's that stupid rattle that drove me batty. Oh well. I am eyeing an iTaste MVP for out and about.

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
I've got the eVic rigged on a lanyard now, so I feel better taking it in public. It is safely ensconced between my . . . well, shoulders, lol. The Vamo was just too heavy for me, though I liked the buttons (very clicky and solid). It's that stupid rattle that drove me batty. Oh well. I am eyeing an iTaste MVP for out and about.
I don't mind the rattlesnake sound. Lol. The Vamo has been a good device to me and I've dropped it a million times! The only problem I have had with it is the connection went wonky and I had to get a new o-ring for it. Other than that, its been a great device! The only other minor issue I have with it is that my voltage down button is no longer click, its like embedded into the device and no matter what I do, I can't get it out. It still works though! This is why I leave the eVic at home, I'm clumsy, REALLY clumsy! Lol.

DaxFX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Puerto Rico
I don't mind the rattlesnake sound. Lol. The Vamo has been a good device to me and I've dropped it a million times! The only problem I have had with it is the connection went wonky and I had to get a new o-ring for it. Other than that, its been a great device! The only other minor issue I have with it is that my voltage down button is no longer click, its like embedded into the device and no matter what I do, I can't get it out. It still works though! This is why I leave the eVic at home, I'm clumsy, REALLY clumsy! Lol.

You said so, you have drped your vamo over a million times,, hmmmm still working exellent mod just a button issue,, what you think could happen to the eVic with that million drops, i think much more than a buton !..

Search on youtube how to fix the buton is very easy, that may be caused by the drops and the pcb can get offset is an easy fix.

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
You said so, you have drped your vamo over a million times,, hmmmm still working exellent mod just a button issue,, what you think could happen to the eVic with that million drops, i think much more than a buton !..

Search on youtube how to fix the buton is very easy, that may be caused by the drops and the pcb can get offset is an easy fix.

If you would have read all of my post, you would say that I said that's why the eVic stays home. They are both great mods, the eVic is just more fragile.

DaxFX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2013
Puerto Rico
If you would have read all of my post, you would say that I said that's why the eVic stays home. They are both great mods, the eVic is just more fragile.

Yeah ! The evic is awesome, i love mine... But for sure is more fragile... And if i broke mine no doubt i will order another one

bwxdme

Verified Member
May 1, 2013
New York, NY
co-ops are the way to go if you break your evic. all you will probably need is a control head and in co-ops its around 40ish so not as bad as a whole new unit.

Yeah ! The evic is awesome, i love mine... But for sure is more fragile... And if i broke mine no doubt i will order another one

weisner

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
I love my eVic; and take it everywhere. Have dropped it once or twice. Works like a champ. Had a Vamo; didn't like the way it felt in my hand. Have a Tesla; It is super durable and longer than all my other battery mods. I still have my EGO batteries and keep one in the car always just in case.

The eVic has given me the most enjoyment no matter what Atty I put on it. If you think another mod is better for the price that is OK with me. I am not typically a fan boy of any sort but today I declare, I am an eVic Fan Boy.

legaldisaster

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2013
Maryland
To the people saying the evic is fragile, I've dropped mine so many times its not even funny, but a 3 day old vamo i drop once and its KIA. My Sigelei telescope stopped working correctly before I dropped it, actually I think it works slightly better now because of it. My eVic has outlasted the other two and taken more of a beating.

KalebK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2012
Spokane, WA
To the people saying the evic is fragile, I've dropped mine so many times its not even funny, but a 3 day old vamo i drop once and its KIA. My Sigelei telescope stopped working correctly before I dropped it, actually I think it works slightly better now because of it. My eVic has outlasted the other two and taken more of a beating.
Hey now, let's not bash KIA! I plan on getting one early next year, the KIA Soul! Can't wait!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread