3 questions about MTL vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

xpresas

Apr 15, 2019
Lithuania
Hello guys so I am waiting for my Target mini + doggystyles rta and I am looking into various options. The last time I vaped MTL was when I was 15-16(Yea I was a ..... back in the day) and 7 years later I want to do it again! Currently I am rocking Tesla Wye with Pharaoh Mini, but because it is such a hassle to carry around I only vape at home and while I am at work or with my friends I still use the devils sticks...
So the questions is:
1. Whats the best build to rock on the MTL. (Back in the day it was just a simple 6-8 wraps of kanthal). Right now when I went to a vape shop they showed me premade coils, various claptopn spools of wire. Yea so please just recommend me smth.
2. Juices.. in Lithuania they made this new law to tax every ml of juice with nicotine. So while 0mg bases costs here 4euros for 120ml of base(VG/PG). Same amount of juice with nicotine can costs .... ton of money here (tax is 12cents per 1 ml of nicotine juice). So I though various options here. Right now on my tesla I got used to 3mg simple nicotine juice. Or 6mg/NicSalt20 juice. I am really confused what should go the best for an MTL..
3. In our local vape shop they have 20mg/NicSalt20 PG100% and 20mg/NicSalt20 VG100%. If I would mix them up both. What would be the strenght of the mix of both?

Have a nice evening/day everyone.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello @xpresas, I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1) It depends upon metal wire used and its gauge/size.

As Kanthal has higher resistance than Stainless Steel (but Stainless Steel can be used for TC vaping).

And the higher the gauge number, the higher the resistance, but the smaller the size/diameter, so the more annoying and difficult to use.

But simple round wire is cheap, easy to obtain and easy to use.

2) Experiment a little. So make a few small test batches (10ml each) of 6mg/ml, 9mg/ml and 12mg/ml. Then you could get a feel of what seems to be better to you, and if you need more you can always go up.

Sometimes you never know until it's too late, and then. It's too late.

3) Really easy question there, especially if you're mixing in equal amounts.

20mg/ml (100% PG) + 20mg/ml (100% VG) = 20mg/ml (50% PG / 50% VG)

Take care and hope that this is some use to you.

xpresas

Apr 15, 2019
Lithuania
Hello @xpresas, I'll try my best to answer your questions.

1) It depends upon metal wire used and its gauge/size.

As Kanthal has higher resistance than Stainless Steel (but Stainless Steel can be used for TC vaping).

And the higher the gauge number, the higher the resistance, but the smaller the size/diameter, so the more annoying and difficult to use.

But simple round wire is cheap, easy to obtain and easy to use.

2) Experiment a little. So make a few small test batches (10ml each) of 6mg/ml, 9mg/ml and 12mg/ml. Then you could get a feel of what seems to be better to you, and if you need more you can always go up.

Sometimes you never know until it's too late, and then. It's too late.

3) Really easy question there, especially if you're mixing in equal amounts.

20mg/ml (100% PG) + 20mg/ml (100% VG) = 20mg/ml (50% PG / 50% VG)

Take care and hope that this is some use to you.
Wow thanks for a fast reply that really was detailed and useful. Although one question pops up for me which is: Should I go for clapton wire, a simple wire or maybe a twisted or whatever the the ****vire there is? Which is the best for an MTL..?

And maybe we have some Doggystyles users and they can recommend what gauge wire they use and what works the best for them!

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Simple round wire is good, as you can always twist it yourself if you want.

Metal choice is a personal thing, as do you want to be able to do Temperature Controlled vaping and or do you get an unpleasant taste to you from certain metals?

I don't like Kanthal, because it tastes kind of weird and awful to me. Tried using a Kanthal coil over my usual Stainless Steel ones with a Vaporesso Skrr tank and let's put it this way, it was that bad to me that I had to dump the liquid and clean the tank.

Also I use Stainless Steel (SS316L), because I like using TC.

But this year the price of drop in coils got to me and I've ventured into rebuildables. Still have battles with Ammit 25 RTA, Tauren SOLO RDA just works for me though.

Reactions: stols001

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Wow thanks for a fast reply that really was detailed and useful. Although one question pops up for me which is: Should I go for clapton wire, a simple wire or maybe a twisted or whatever the the ****vire there is? Which is the best for an MTL..?

And maybe we have some Doggystyles users and they can recommend what gauge wire they use and what works the best for them!

I'm a doggy user and lover of them ;)

For me it's 28 gauge ss316l 2.25mm id 6 wraps spaced. Comes out about 0.5 ohms. I was using a 2.5mm id, but had trouble with it fitting. Most users use 2mm id coil.

You can go with 26 gauge - but I just prefer the quicker ramp up time of 28 gauge.

The doggy vapes perfect with just a round wire build - try the mtl claptons, but certainly try round wire first.

Coil height for me is just a few mm above the airflow hole, as low as you can go without the legs shorting. Wicking is a piece of cake - cut, shove, trim to the deck, and wrap the leftovers beside the wicking channels

perfect.jpg

vBDKv

ECF Veteran
  • Jan 6, 2018
    Denmark
    1) I still prefer 26ga kanthal wire (or ss for temp control, same gauge) and 6-7 wraps in order to fit my deck.
    2) It's cheaper to DIY juice and it'll taste amazing as well. You can get some pretty darn good pre-made flavors, you just add your nic and vg/pg base. If you're gonna MTL, I'd aim for 12mg if using freebase nic, otherwise higher with nic salts so they have more kick. Will save you juice as well :p You can calculate it on this awesome website: Apparently cant post a link lol, so just google "eliquid calculator".
    3) 20mg, unless you add some flavor. Then it'll probably land at 12-15.

• Love
    Reactions: xpresas

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Love the doggy, great rta!! I'm a 26g kanthal guy, use it in all my rtas...2.38mm ID, 6 wraps . Usually comes in around .7 ohms and rock 24mg freebase nic at 23 watts mtl. Tried all the fancy coils and personally thought it was a waste of money....good luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Love
    Reactions: AngeNZ

basilia

Moved On
    May 24, 2019
    • Deleted by classwife
    • Reason: Spam
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread