404 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
@SteveS45 the button's not gone, it's different. After someone posts, if you hover your cursor over the white area below the Quote/reply/top button, you will see the option for different buttons to respond to a post: like, disagree, agree, winner, funny, etc. You choose the one you want (you can only choose one, but you can undo ,then change it) it's kind of a fun new feature....

Hope this helps.

Anna

• Informative
Reactions: SteveS45

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
If I wasn't experiencing so many problems accessing ECF I might have been able to see that. Surprised seeing o many others saying they can't like posts that no one mentioned this new feature. If you can see the error message this is what I have to put up with all the time. Only on ECF.

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-30_15-5-24.png
    upload_2017-9-30_15-5-24.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Disagree
Reactions: stols001

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
They are updating.... making improvements to the site. When they load new pages, need to clear the site cache or restart SQL you'll get the 404. It's all part of the work being done and a small price to pay for some of the upgrades.

Oliver has a couple threads going on the upgrades if you do a search.

Reactions: stols001

halfempty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Miami, FL
7 Likes that can't be given because the like button is gone? WTH?
@SteveS45 the button's not gone, it's different. After someone posts, if you hover your cursor over the white area below the Quote/reply/top button, you will see the option for different buttons to respond to a post: like, disagree, agree, winner, funny, etc. You choose the one you want (you can only choose one, but you can undo ,then change it) it's kind of a fun new feature....

Hope this helps.

Anna
The new Likes system doesn't work as advertised in Tapatalk, this is what some people might be experiencing.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There have been time periods that I've gotten that error prior to any upgrades, honestly. It's really not that unusual for an active forum, I usually just clear out my cache and run my antivirus software. Nine times out of ten, that clears it up for me. When updates and upgrades are being done, you can kind of forget about speed, lack of bugs, etc. It's not an "ONLY on ECF" thing, either.

I think it's nice that Oliver is doing an upgrade for the 10 year anniversary. If it helps at all, one of my very favorite forums on which I was a mod for a long time was being run by a gentleman who had incredible computer skills and also serious MI, enough so that he was on disability. In a fit of manic enthusiasm/sleepwalking one upgrade, he managed to delete *each and every single piece of information* including all his hard drive backups of backups, and then failed at an upgrade: the entire forum had to START over. Now, I'd kept an online journal on there for several years (this was a long time ago) and I had not backed that up anywhere myself. Not that it was so thrilling, but I was young and naiive and complained to my brother about it, and his response was, "Anna, I can't believe that you would think anything on the internet is permanent," :lol::lol::lol:.

Which is why I save the permanent writing for the book nowadays, what I write here is impermanent and not so important, it's my "free write" as it were. :)

Just pointing out things could be WORSE. A lot worse. That poor guy, man, totally brilliant, not always totally sane. We should be thanking Oliver for his desire to make a change, and being methodical and reasonable about it and seeking feedback. As, if that dude had sought feedback from *me* at the time it would have been, "Honey, you are in a manic freakout mode, just STOP what you are doing, and stop it RIGHT now, you can't delete every backup you have and then upgrade."

It wouldn't have been about occasional connectivity issues and not adoring the "new like" button. Sheesh.

Just, you know, sayin'. Feel free to disagree....

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread