801 @ 5volts should be pretty good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kLAcK

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I saw Steve demonstrate the 801 at 6V with the Prodigy, and I was rather impressed. Unfortunately I can't afford one as of yet.

I started looking at 801 USB passthroughs, but they all had the battery box limiting the voltage.

Just checked Heavens Gifts, and they have a manual 801 passthrough with no battery box for $9! This should allow 5V to get to the atomizer.

What do you guys think? Will I get a Ferrari for cheap? :D

Black Manual USB passthrough for DSE801 - Spare Parts - Heaven-gifts.com Ruyandirect.com Best E-smoking Shop

gashin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2008
Southern California USA
www.ecigmall.com
Decent price but the standard passthroughs sold by many suppliers should work as well, though they are all automatic switches.
I saw Steve demonstrate the 801 at 6V with the Prodigy, and I was rather impressed. Unfortunately I can't afford one as of yet.

I started looking at 801 USB passthroughs, but they all had the battery box limiting the voltage.

Just checked Heavens Gifts, and they have a manual 801 passthrough with no battery box for $9! This should allow 5V to get to the atomizer.

What do you guys think? Will I get a Ferrari for cheap? :D

Black Manual USB passthrough for DSE801 - Spare Parts - Heaven-gifts.com Ruyandirect.com Best E-smoking Shop

kLAcK

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Decent price but the standard passthroughs sold by many suppliers should work as well, though they are all automatic switches.

I can't do automatic any more. They get clogged too easily when dripping. :(

901's are starting to come out with manual switches on the passthroughs, and I'm sure we'll soon see them for the 801's.

Yep, they are out. See the link in my first post.

kLAcK

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
trog100 said:

a PC USB socket is rated at 5 volts at .5 amps current... this equals 2.5 watts..

so a USB socket either isnt up to the job of properly powering an e cig or its being over loaded..

probably a bit of both... the janty battery in line idea dosnt let the USB socket directly power the e cig.. the USB socket charges the inline battery (at no more than 250 mah) the battery powers the e cig..

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-smoking-discussion/7715-battery-pack-question-usb-passthru.html#post118766

Did I win something? Doesn't feel like it :mad:

fiddler

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2008
New York City
Trog has a good point, and you can tell by comparing the hit from a direct USB hookup and a battery - not much difference if any.

I have an external optical drive that plugs into two USB ports to get enough current to run the drive (although it seems to do OK on only one). Maybe an arrangement like this would power the atomizer properly. I guess the second USB connector would have to be spliced in so that they were in parallel...

I'm too lazy and anyway I have a Prodigy coming, but someone may want to try it.

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
... Just checked Heavens Gifts, and they have a manual 801 passthrough with no battery box for $9! This should allow 5V to get to the atomizer.

I seem to be missing something here. Description states it is a manual, shows a button, but it has a 5 second cutoff. what would be the advantage of having a manual with a timed cutoff?

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
I seem to be missing something here. Description states it is a manual, shows a button, but it has a 5 second cutoff. what would be the advantage of having a manual with a timed cutoff?

My Theory on The 5 Sec Cut Off On The Manual Switch USB PT:

Its There For (2) Safety Reasons:

(1) So You Don't Overheat Your Atom After 5 Secs
(2) If The Manual Button Sticks It Will Cut Off The Power For Safety

I Think You Can Probably Press, Release & Press Again, Repeat Though, I Will Find Out In A Day or So, Its On The Way.

~Keep Vapin~!

olderthandirt

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2009
Willamette Valley, PNW
My Theory on The 5 Sec Cut Off On The Manual Switch USB PT:

Its There For (2) Safety Reasons:

(1) So You Don't Overheat Your Atom After 5 Secs
(2) If The Manual Button Sticks It Will Cut Off The Power For Safety

I Think You Can Probably Press, Release & Press Again, Repeat Though, I Will Find Out In A Day or So, Its On The Way.

~Keep Vapin~!

Makes sense. Make sure and let us know how the PT works Cell

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
My Heavens Gift 801 Pen Style (New Product) Manual USB PT Just Came In & I Fired It Up! Quick Review:

Heres What I Have:

- Heavens Gift 801 Pen Style Manual USB PT (New Model) - Matt Black Finish, Looks Good!
- Nice Black Matt Finish
- Stamped SLB, Serial # & 08 On Brass Connector
- Standard USB Connector, It Put Out 4 Volts To The Atom & Not 5 Volts
- Black 5 Foot, Medium Type Cord, USB Connector Looks & Feels Good (5 Foot Is Great)
- Blue LED at The Ash Cap, Looks Like Standard USB Ash Cap Set Up So Use Care
- New Manual Switch Button, Similar To Janty's Manual Switch, Low Profile, Press & Vape Great!
- The 5 Second Cut Off is There. But For You Long Draggers, Just Push In & Out Every Few Seconds It Will Not Cut Off (Play With it U Will See), I Tried That Like 5 Times, So Results May Vary, I Do Not Drag for More Then 3 to 4 Seconds Anyways.
- The USB PT Worked Fine On My Computer, Lap Top, AC to DC 5 Volt 1000 mA Power Pack and My 5 Volt 1000 mAh Battery Powered Packs as Well.
- Quality & Build Appears Like BestEcigs USB PT's Model, Clean, No Apparent Flaws, Good Finish

FYI: The Power Connector Puts Out 4 Volts (On Meter), So it Does Have A Voltage Drop Built In It. Vapes Great Though!

Is It Worth $9.00 plus S&H? I Thinks So, But I Have Only Had It 30 Minutes Or So, It Looks Good, I Love The Manual Button. I Can Give It A Thumbs Up At This Time Only :thumb:

Shall Use It and See In Time. :D

Here's The Link To Check It Out

~Keep Vapin~!

Last edited:

Cellmeister

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2009
Beantown, USA
Thanks for the review Cell. I guess I was a little to hopeful that it would be as good as a sd or gg. Guess I'll be saving up.

I Can Tell You When You Get A Consistent Solid 4 Volts It Is Great.

Keeps It Clean, Safe & Plenty Of Vape! :thumbs:

FYI: My Thoughts & Experience:

I Have Some Actual 5 Volt USB PT's for My 801's & 901's, It Burns to Much For Me, That Is Burnt Taste. I Rather Have Good Vape with Volume & I Think 4 Volts Is Good On The 801. ;)

I Do Agree Though That The 901 5 Volts Works Out Great On 5 Volts, But The Carts Are Too Small & Less Volume. :D

$9.00 Plus S&H Is A Deal, Grab A Few & Save Some Bucks For Atoms!

~Keep Vapin~!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread