901 & 801 lr atty help

Status
Not open for further replies.

baldie250

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Rockford IL
using both on the chameleon at 3.7 volts. for the life of me i cant get these to work right:oops: new to the whole atty thing. problem is, they always taste burnt. i keep them wet, let them cool between hits and still that burnt taste especially the 901. i def like the 801 better but its still there. is it just me?
short hits seem to help on the 901, any longer than a 2sec hit it tastes burnt.
HELP!!!

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
using both on the chameleon at 3.7 volts. for the life of me i cant get these to work right:oops: new to the whole atty thing. problem is, they always taste burnt. i keep them wet, let them cool between hits and still that burnt taste especially the 901. i def like the 801 better but its still there. is it just me?
HELP!!!

Hiya Baldie,
Just a few questions to trouble shoot. ;) Atomizer's are really easy to learn once you can associate how it works with something similar. Simply put Liquid travels through the atomizer, then gets heated to the point of "smoking" but it's vapor. Much like our bodies digest food. If all we eat junk food, well, you seen the results Liquid is our little attie's food:D

Your getting burnt tastes in both types atomizers? 901 and 801.
Are you using the same liquid for both of them?
Other atomizers that you have, are they producing this burnt flavor? and have you used the same liquid on those atomizers?
Is the Liquid your using from an actual manufacture?

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
1: Yeah its in both. not so much the 801
2: Yep same liquid
3: I never tried any other atty, just yours(always used cartos before. just wanted to try these)
4: Im using Halo liquid and thats all i use.

Hmm ok, Halo should have a clean burn and you shouldn't be experiencing those problems. You have always been a great customer Baldie and you have a beautiful track record. So I would like to send out a few replacements for you, but we're waiting on our LR 901's to come back in stock. I'll mark you down on my priority list to send you a few more to try when we receive them. In the mean time, I can send you an 801 now, or if you would like to wait a bit, I can send you one of the New Mini 801's in 2.0's (that will also be included in the same shipment), when they come in. :) However you would like to do it, we'll make it right. :D

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Making the leap from cartos to LR attys involves two learning curves: atty/carts ins-n-outs in general, and then less forgiving LR behavior on top of that. Kudo's to you for making the leap.

Do they taste burnt even when direct dripping?

Drip two drops in... wait 30 seconds... hit it briefly? Burnt or not?

LR attys run really hot compared to cartos or regular attys, they consume liquid fast. If your wicking material is too tight, juice won't flow fast enough from the cart to the atty coil to keep it sufficiently wet. Another source of insufficient wicking can be the atty bridge itself. I've got this one 510 that just doesn't wick well. I can drip it fine... but liquid doesn't make its way through the bridge very well (so it seems to me at least).

If direct dripping works OK with your attys, then its a liquid flow problem... maybe see the blue foam cart mod, foam filler has worked for me with every kind of atty (except that one 510), from superminis to penstyles... or drip instead.

If the atty runs too hot even with direct dripping... I guess that's a different problem... maybe drip some 100% VG based liquid in it and hope that the coil gets a little gummed up. After getting gummed up slightly it should run a little less hot. I just did some of that with an LR801 that was running a bit hot for my tastes.

baldie250

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Rockford IL
Ike, i would love to try the 801 mini. Thank you for all the help and support! Gonna try and be patient with these because when i get them to work they blow me away.

VaporMadness, Yep im dripping. I do get that burnt taste when waiting 30 sec. but not when i hit it for less than 2 sec. is that the key? i see videos of people hitting them for up to 5sec and they dont talk about a burnt taste. I will give the VG thing a try though. makes sense.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Ike, i would love to try the 801 mini. Thank you for all the help and support! Gonna try and be patient with these because when i get them to work they blow me away.

VaporMadness, Yep im dripping. I do get that burnt taste when waiting 30 sec. but not when i hit it for less than 2 sec. is that the key? i see videos of people hitting them for up to 5sec and they dont talk about a burnt taste. I will give the VG thing a try though. makes sense.
What you may not see is the individuals pulsing the switch. They may be taking a 5-8 sec hit but have actually pulsed the switch 3-4 times. This is important to learn to do properly not only when leaping into the world of LR attys, but especially when switching to HV vaping.

I have found that some attys require a longer break in period than others. I am presently vaping my eGo with a 510 that I have installed on Sunday night which is finally coming around, mind you I havent been hitting it regularly neither because I despise breaking in new attys. Here is a good example of the technique by Scott (time stamp 4:25)

YouTube - igetcha69's Channel

I also find that breaking in a new LR can provide a foul tasting vape until they eventually break in. The key is to work through it. Short 1-2 sec bursts and allowing sufficient time between hits for the atty to properly cool. (read many minutes)

Vapormadness provides a valid tip for accelerating the break in period. I prefer to break them in naturally.

VaporMadness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
CA, USA
Yep im dripping. I do get that burnt taste when waiting 30 sec. but not when i hit it for less than 2 sec. is that the key?

Shorter hits are one of the attractions for me. Nice to not turn blue in the face to get a decent hit :)

Actually sounds like you may have some LR attys that are working as expected for brand new LR attys. They generally tone down (break in) after some usage, but until they do you have to handle with extra care.

As switched pointed out, pulsing the switch is a good idea. Using with slightly depleted batteries for a while is another. With my MODs, I've noticed that the switches don't fully activate unless I depress them firmly, so I press less firmly with new LR attys that are running too hot.

Gonna try and be patient with these because when i get them to work they blow me away.

Yes, good things come to those who wait!

Last edited:

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
HELP!!!

Hi baldie,

This may be a really silly question but are you sure you are using enough juice in the 801? The reason why I ask is because initially I experienced something similar and since you are new to using atties which don't come with a user manual, it may be relevant.

Until about a month ago I only used 510 atties exclusively. I was used to adding 4 drops to a dry 510 atty, taking a couple of puffs and adding two more drops as needed. I tried that on my LR801 atty when I used it for the first time and it was terrible. It was only when I realized that the 801 atty holds a lot more juice that I was able to use it properly and enjoy it.

If you are not already doing this, put 7-8 drops in a dry 801 atty and take a couple of short puffs. When you notice the taste starting to slightly change you can add 4 drops comfortably without flooding the 801 atty where that amount of juice would obviously be too much for 901s and 510s. I am able to take 4-5 second drags and I never get any burnt taste with Isaac's LR801 atties. Hope this helps and definitely follow the advise from Switched and VM.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Hi baldie,

This may be a really silly question but are you sure you are using enough juice in the 801? The reason why I ask is because initially I experienced something similar and since you are new to using atties which don't come with a user manual, it may be relevant.

Until about a month ago I only used 510 atties exclusively. I was used to adding 4 drops to a dry 510 atty, taking a couple of puffs and adding two more drops as needed. I tried that on my LR801 atty when I used it for the first time and it was terrible. It was only when I realized that the 801 atty holds a lot more juice that I was able to use it properly and enjoy it.

If you are not already doing this, put 7-8 drops in a dry 801 atty and take a couple of short puffs. When you notice the taste starting to slightly change you can add 4 drops comfortably without flooding the 801 atty where that amount of juice would obviously be too much for 901s and 510s. I am able to take 4-5 second drags and I never get any burnt taste with Isaac's LR801 atties. Hope this helps and definitely follow the advise from Switched and VM.
... forgot about that part, dang! Hey baldie, what he said ^ .

That's with the 801, with the 901 from new = 6 drops, vape 4-5 hits then 2 drops at a time = 6-10 hits. Most folks don't drip with 901s because the line is toooooooooo fine between working good and flooded. Should vapour production decrease after adding 2 drops, you are flooded. Blow it out, and restart from scratch this time priming with onyl 5 drops.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
Forgot about that part he says, Flabbergasted over here!
Just WOW, GREAT Posts! GREAT Tips! It's amazing how much one could forget in the mechanics of an atomizer! I was meaning to make a little disclaimer and guide about the sometime needed break-in period, but we already have one right here!
Copy and paste for an atomizer tip section on the store fellas?

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Hey Switched/Iken,

When atomizers get flooded, why is it necessary to actually blow all the juice out? I've never tried this but, what would happen if the atty was simply placed upside down on a napking for 5 minutes allowing some juice to drip down without losing all of it? I don't know enough about mechanics of atomizers to come up with the answer.

baldie250

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2009
Rockford IL
Thanks guys, these are great tips and advice. This is the only place where I can get ACTUAL advice. All the other forums i am a member of you just get snide remarks and trolls(not ecf).

I did notice that the 801 holds more juice. Thats the reason I like the 801 better. But I do like the QUICK vapor production of the 901. The 801 I have to hit like a carto. It dont give the quick vapor like the 901. Is that normal? Its not a problem just wondering.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Hey Switched/Iken,

When atomizers get flooded, why is it necessary to actually blow all the juice out? I've never tried this but, what would happen if the atty was simply placed upside down on a napking for 5 minutes allowing some juice to drip down without losing all of it? I don't know enough about mechanics of atomizers to come up with the answer.
I'm not sure Vap to be quite honest, with the exception that if I wanna toot, I don't wanna wait 5 minutes :lol:

No seriously if you try vaping while flooded moocho current is going through the atty (without producing vapour) and they will pop. Yup! speaking from experience, especially at 6V. What I found is that when you blow it out from the cart end, allot of what I call spent liquid gets discharged out the batt end. When I blow out an atty usually at least once a day, I don't really want to vape what I blow out. Some of my liquids are quite clear or have a slight tinge to them. What I blow out looks like weak coffee. I find the atty taste better after a good blow job.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
I would pay money to watch Isaac"s face as he is reading your post, lol.

All right, back to flooding the atty. I agree, and I blow out my atties usually twice a day, in the afternoon and at night, just to always have nice clean juice inside. But here's what I'm asking: Let's say someone has been vaping for 5 minutes with a fresh clean atty, they flood it and are not in a position to blow out the juice. Would simply turning the atty upside down for a couple of minutes let the atty unflood itself or is it absolutely required to blow through it? Also, is it better to blow through the cart end, the battery end, or does it matter? Thanks.

Vaporologist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2010
Epic Journey
Thanks guys, these are great tips and advice. This is the only place where I can get ACTUAL advice. All the other forums i am a member of you just get snide remarks and trolls(not ecf).

I agree baldie, When it comes to forums, Ikenvape Forum is the greatest place to be! With people like Isaac, Switched, WitchWay, VaporMadness... you will get best advice possible regarding any vaping related issue you may have. I have learned more here than any other places combined!

I did notice that the 801 holds more juice. Thats the reason I like the 801 better. But I do like the QUICK vapor production of the 901. The 801 I have to hit like a carto. It dont give the quick vapor like the 901. Is that normal? Its not a problem just wondering.

I really don't know how to help here since LR801 atties give me the best of everything, best TH, best flavor and best vapor production, all in one package. I personally haven't noticed 901 offering quicker vapor production. I know that Isaac loves 901s so maybe he can enlighten us more about the difference and advantages.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread