901 Atomizers - New vs Old Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

BababooeyHTJ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2010
Hartford
What is the difference between a 901 and a 902? I want to by some 902 whistle tips to use and I have found some with 902 cartridges. I think I might want to try an atty too. Is there a 902 atty or do you use the 901?

Where can I get a 808 to 902 adapter and do I need one to use a Kr808 bat with a 902 cartridge? Does a 901 atty work with a 902 cartridge?

If they are not the same, where can I get a 808 to 901 adapter and is one necessary (same)? I thought I read somewhere that the air holes are messed up or something and to be careful to get the correct adapter.

Obviously I am confused. Can anyone help?

I've never heard of a 902 but a 901 has a hole on the back of the atty where it draws in air. So, a 901 atty will work on an 808 batt but an 808 carto won't work on a 901 batt since it doesn't have those little grooves (I guess that you would call them).

Edit: A 902 is just a KR808 (cartomizer).

Last edited:

Mammal

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Connecticut, USA
Well, foop. Just to add to the fount of knowledge on this subject - received a single washer-style in a new 901 kit a month ago, and was loving it until it died cold (overnight!) after an isopropyl-soak into boiling-water cleaning. So that was a 30-day atomizer.

I did dry-burn it a couple times prior and wound up doing that while driving off the last of the water, but it was working fine before bed. I haven't pulled out a multimeter yet, but I'm guessing stresses got to it as it fully cooled.

PapaJoe8

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Texas DFW Area
Mammal, do you play Pente? If not, nevermind. Anyway, I have a barley used washer style and it works OK but not great. I tried the needle trick from p6 and that did not help. Next time a 901 atty goes bad try a short vinegar soak and just a blow out... and then drip some juice on the bridge. I think the dry burn may not be good for these attys?

Oh, the needle deal DOES work good on the old style 901 attys.
Joe

Mammal

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2010
Connecticut, USA
Mammal, do you play Pente? If not, nevermind. Anyway, I have a barley used washer style and it works OK but not great. I tried the needle trick from p6 and that did not help. Next time a 901 atty goes bad try a short vinegar soak and just a blow out... and then drip some juice on the bridge. I think the dry burn may not be good for these attys?

Oh, the needle deal DOES work good on the old style 901 attys.
Joe

Hmm, I had to look it up, so probably not (not since failing to write a decent Go-Moku program in CS class way back when, I must've been missing something).

Just dropped an otherwise-fine 901 in the dirt while gardening yesterday, and it survived boiling-water-only (at least, so far!)... so while it's hard to imagine alcohols being particularly more corrosive to anything involved, I'm guessing the concept is 'be gentle, and avoid anything that's going to create major mechanical stresses in there' (as throwing an alcohol-wet atomizer into boiling water, or being overzealous trying to burn it dry after could)...

RaccoonChad

Jan 15, 2010
I thought this would be the appropriate area to debate this.

I have been using 901s since Sept. I have found that the new style atomizers - the ones with a plate surrounding the atomizer coil, and the whiskers sticking out of it - to be inferior to the old style - no plate, bare coil, no visible whiskers.

I have the problem that I must be getting liquid under the plates somehow, because if I leave an attie unused for a couple of days, it has a nasty rancid flavor that does not go away when I try to use it again. I also feel they die much sooner than the old style 901 atties did. I also find that the old style have a much smoother draw, while I am getting much less air through the new style.

What are your thoughts?

I agree, the new ones are inferior to the old style 901 atomizers. I bought one recently expecting the same atty but got this new one. I thought the rancid flavor was the e-liquid...

Where can I find the old style hv 901 atomizers? Or just the old style 901 atomizers, in general?

rtbob

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2009
Austin, TX
After about eight months of using a 901 I'm done with them.

I bought an Buzz vari-volt mod six months ago and have gone through about 40 901 atty's during this time.

In defense of the 901, my wife uses a standard 901 type battery and has been using the same atty for over three months.

My buzz is set to four volts, so apparently the increased voltage kills these very quickly.

I have an adapter and a 510 atty now. Heavy vaping at 4 volts for seven days running, no leaky hole to deal with either.

The 901 is dead to me.

PapaJoe8

ECF Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Texas DFW Area
Mammel, there is a guy named Mark Mammel (spelling?) who has made great strides in the world of Pente. It is an evolution of Go-Moku. If, after 4k years, that is possible?

Rtbob, at 3.7V I have a 901 atty that is still going after 4 months. Yep, 4+ must be to high for these. Oh, and I sure do miss Shanghai Charlies Chili Rice and the old Tamale House at 1st. and Congress!!!

Kona, I have high hopes of winning the Spam Cook Off, on tha Big Island, again this year.
Joe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread