901 Atomizers - New vs Old Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighHeeledGoddess

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
I thought this would be the appropriate area to debate this.

I have been using 901s since Sept. I have found that the new style atomizers - the ones with a plate surrounding the atomizer coil, and the whiskers sticking out of it - to be inferior to the old style - no plate, bare coil, no visible whiskers.

I have the problem that I must be getting liquid under the plates somehow, because if I leave an attie unused for a couple of days, it has a nasty rancid flavor that does not go away when I try to use it again. I also feel they die much sooner than the old style 901 atties did. I also find that the old style have a much smoother draw, while I am getting much less air through the new style.

What are your thoughts?

lotus14

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
Columbia SC
I thought this would be the appropriate area to debate this.

I have been using 901s since Sept. I have found that the new style atomizers - the ones with a plate surrounding the atomizer coil, and the whiskers sticking out of it - to be inferior to the old style - no plate, bare coil, no visible whiskers.

I have the problem that I must be getting liquid under the plates somehow, because if I leave an attie unused for a couple of days, it has a nasty rancid flavor that does not go away when I try to use it again. I also feel they die much sooner than the old style 901 atties did. I also find that the old style have a much smoother draw, while I am getting much less air through the new style.

What are your thoughts?

Where are you getting these 'new' 901s? They don't sound like SLBs. They sound like the knock-off 510s some people are selling.

bobtow

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2009
Wallaceburg ON. Canada
I got some from ecigusa in a kit. I haven't noticed any difference yet. I noticed some ecigs are more succeptible to flooding if they are held at an angle with the tip lower than the cart! I noticed some videos the recommend dripping on the attie befor putting on a refilled cart, but I always found this method flooded my 901.

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Does anyone have a link to a good pic of the inside of the type being discussed here? I just got in a ton of DSE901 atties from Health Cabin, but am pretty new to 901s so not sure what the older ones looked like. Visually compared to a couple others I've gotten from various places, not sure what brand, and they didn't seem very diff, tho I could tell the manufacturer probably was (e.g. little seam across the atty 'face plate' on my previous ones).

I did see a blurry pic of a knock-off Joye 510 atty somewhere with what I gather is the same issue you're talking about, but I couldn't make it out well, on this little screen anyway. If easier to come by, a (clear) pic of a 510 like this would probably be as useful, if it's representative of the configuration.

Dang, this was a pretty bulky bulk order, only one I intended to make... hope these are 'good' ones somehow! :-/ But waywardsister, iirc you may have said somewhere that you got yours from HC too... I received mine this week, ordered week prior. As far as 901s isn't DSE supposed to be the 'It' brand? (If that IS a brand... :oops:)

Last edited:

BreakfastPirate

Jan 17, 2010
Chicago, IL
Which ones are the new style and which ones are the old? The newest ones I've ordered do not have the metal ring, and the old ones do. I've been having a terrible time trying to get these new ones (without metal ring) to perform. They tasted terrible for about a week and now I get vapor but nowhere near as much flavor as my old (with the metal ring) atomizers.

nicksdad

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2009
I took one apart its not the same at all... plastic with some tabs going to the heating element ... I dont get as muck vapor from the new kind and that one quit after a couple weeks . the tip is not the same either. its smaller ( slimmer ) with less mass.
I did look for slb and its on the inner ring inside the threaded end but the old ones could be cleaned easier and lasted longer ... s

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
Really? Ugh, I hate the metal ring. For dripping, it is useless. I've never had an atty leak like this. And they die fast too. Overall FAIL.

I still wish I even knew which ones these are that you guys are talking about; I've been a carto user and will be new to using atties with any regularity, and the 'verbal' descriptions of which are which aren't imparting to my brain which ones it is that I already have. I mean, there is circular metal around the wick but I don't think that in itself could be any other way... Isn't there a (clear) pic somewhere, or if the 510 washer thing is basically the same issue/layout is there a (clear) pic of an example of that? (I did see one 510 w/ washer pic from awhile ago somewhere but it was too blurry and small..)

stubear62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2009
Myrtle Beach, SC
I too just got some 901 atty's..
I got the ones without the washer from ecigsupply and I got ones with the washer from Heavens Gifts.. Both work fine.
One from ecig died after 1 week. one from HG I just started to use and so far not bad. But will see how long they last and I direct drip with the 901's.
I forgot to add. Bot 901 attys say SLB on the bottom (where the threads are)

Last edited:

miss MiA

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
I too just got some 901 atty's..
I got the ones without the washer from ecigsupply and I got ones with the washer from Heavens Gifts.. Both work fine.
One from ecig died after 1 week. one from HG I just started to use and so far not bad. But will see how long they last and I direct drip with the 901's.
I forgot to add. Bot 901 attys say SLB on the bottom (where the threads are)

Stubear, are you a pic-taking/posting kinda guy? Any chance you could post a pic of the relevant innards of each?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread