Status
Not open for further replies.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
I am not your boss though appreciate the consideration. I have to say that I would probably feel very reluctant to participate in any survey you created at this stage and I imagine others would have similar feelings.

I also think that any supplier conducting a survey might give a sense that its purpose served primarily as market research.

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
I told you, I did the QA. If you checked the IP address you would see. I wrote a "kiddie-script" to fill out and submit. I could've submitted a million surveys.
You had no field length masks so my next step was to hit you with a buffer overflow. That could've brought down the site.

Did I mention that I performed thousands of these tests for almost every major bank, insurance companies, auto companies (GM), even Philip Morris and several Pharmaceutical companies specializing in CFR 21 and FDA compliance for test results and documentation compliance including records retention and privacy assurance.

You want me to prove it? I'll prove it.

Meanwhile, folks take the little crummy poll that the admin made a sticky, at least you can't be a wise guy there more than once. You got one shot, make it count.

Let's put our energy where it counts and do what works to reach our goal.
:mad:WoW !! what an ar5e, how to win favour with your consumer base.nice. the attitude you show here I certainly wouldn't buy .... all from you..sheesh..I got so many insults to throw for what good it will do .

Suppliers doing polls here IS consumer research and certainly shouldn't be allowed.

Some-one SLAP this door knob please..wheres terra when you need him..:-x

skullsoup432

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2009
Michigan USA
I believe that had members opinion leaned toward esmok-e, he would have a far different attitude about now. If we had commended him on protecting us from "flawed" results, he would be chest thumping victoriously. I doubt it has been a humbling experience, just an ego blow.
To be so malicious, even demeaning.
No, just trying to appease negative feedback, and well deserved.

Still a good poll dc2k08. Sorry it was destroyed by another's ego.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
Ok, thanks for chiming in everybody. I think esmoke-e has probably had a good earful of it enough and seems to be genuinely remoresful and understands what he did wasn't cool. Let's just leave it that. no need to prolong the flogging. People do make mistakes and can act recklessly in the heat of the moment but adverseries can make ammends and must do if the world is to continue to turn. I appreciate that many of us are annoyed or frustrated but I'm willing to let it sink and start afresh in time.

Thanks Dusty. I try to go out of my way not to advertise my site at all here. The only link on the forum to my site is in my profile and my signature. I wouldn't even advertise on a survey. I've offered to leave myself unknown.

Granted, the Google survey did not need such an aggressive response to get my point across, and I surely went overboard. I think we all agree Google's not the proper featured venue for a "scientific" survey.

If I come across anything else besides the vbSurvey plug-in for the forum or Survey Pro, I'll PM Dusty if he wants.

RatInDaHat

Peace, I'm outta here
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
Just to clear up a quick point about "scientific" and "survey"

Tampered with, or not, a survey that is open to whoever wants to fill it out will always be biased. The only people who fill it out are those who are compelled to. That is the problem with surveys in general.

It is good for information gathering, and i wish it hadn't been taken down, but this is not something that would hold up on a basis of being "scientific"

I think it was a great survey concept and agree that the info is good to have.

this is directed at ... you know who you are.

dagit

Aug 5, 2008
Toronto/Vancouver
Just to clear up a quick point about "scientific" and "survey"

Tampered with, or not, a survey that is open to whoever wants to fill it out will always be biased. The only people who fill it out are those who are compelled to. That is the problem with surveys in general.

It is good for information gathering, and i wish it hadn't been taken down, but this is not something that would hold up on a basis of being "scientific"

I think it was a great survey concept and agree that the info is good to have.

this is directed at ... you know who you are.

I didn't see the survey myself, but by all accounts (in this thread, and including those of "you know who") it was great effort. Sounds like it presented some well-defined questions too.

Surveys are great for collecting information, as you say, but beyond giving all of us some loose numbers to put toward the "anecdotal evidence", and maybe some loose results to feel good about as a community of users, there's not a lot of value in the exercise as far as I can tell. Am I missing something?

You see, notwithstanding the roughness of some people's posting in here (and who am I to talk about that today, considering how I wasn't exactly diplomatic with how I expressed an opinion in another thread recently! :oops:), I lean toward understanding a push for something more "scientific" myself.

Some "real" numbers would be great for everyone - not only to give us something tangible to present in campaigns intended to gather support for the e-cig movement as a whole from other quarters, but also to help manufacturers and their resellers/suppliers to design, develop and product products with the features, tastes, etc. that we really want.

I'm not a supplier obviously, but I'm part of a group designing/developing models that hopefully will get into production eventually (ie: years from now, given all the hoops our governments require to be jumped through!) and getting through just the initial planning/strategy stages has been a toughie in the absence of "real" numbers to support/validate financial models, etc. I realize this maybe doesn't sound exciting as an e-cig consumer, but in terms of what's practical - if we're going to be supplied with products we want, we need our suppliers to have all the tools necessary to build and sustain their businesses.

Also, someone posted elsewhere in this thread something to the effect that it wouldn't be appropriate for a supplier to run a survey using this forum, and that I really don't understand. While I appreciate that there's bound to be some bias going on, but what's the problem with supporting our suppliers who we actually want to support us with products, etc.? I guess that I just don't see an ethics issue here, presuming the results are available to all of course.

If we're going to survive the onslaught of interventions and public opinion challenges, shouldn't we be looking for ways to come together rather than working in isolation? Most of our suppliers aren't in a position (re: finances, experiences, in-house skills/resources, etc.) to run market studies of their own, much less studies intended to produce "scientifically" relevant results - why not let a few of them put together a survey on the forum?

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
ok , I apologies for my sharp tongue ( or fingers ) but it seemed a low blow for anyone to do that let alone a supplier who advertises here. So i'm sorry if I offended but my opinions remain.

As for supplier initiated polls..I still stand by the fact they can be used for more than the community good.

ergo , mr.supplier posts a poll asking which eliquid flavour people buy the most..RY4 wins , said supplier buys in bulk of RY4 , advertises it here and sells it for knock down price..customers picking up atomizers and spares whilst they're there to save on shipping....purpose of poll...market research...my logic ;)

just to add :

You had no field length masks so my next step was to hit you with a buffer overflow. That could've brought down the site.

That most certainly would have broken the law , if doing what he already did hasn't.
But that's ok ..he's a supplier ....the type this forum could do without

Last edited:

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
Also, someone posted elsewhere in this thread something to the effect that it wouldn't be appropriate for a supplier to run a survey using this forum, and that I really don't understand. While I appreciate that there's bound to be some bias going on, but what's the problem with supporting our suppliers who we actually want to support us with products, etc.? I guess that I just don't see an ethics issue here, presuming the results are available to all of course.

I think that is fair point. I don't know if you are referring to a post I made but..

When I said "I also think that any supplier conducting a survey might give a sense that its purpose served primarily as market research."

- I was responding to esmoke-e's query as to whether I would object if he created his own independant survey. What I wanted to imply was that people might hesitate to participate in a survey conducted by a supplier. I don't see anything wrong though with a supplier gaining information from a survey no matter who created it. It would help him/her adjust their product-line to suit the needs of their buyers. This is in both parties interest.

What if I became a supplier? (which could happen), would a survey I created now, then be seen as subterfuge to gain incite into the market? I doubt it. Many of the questions that were asked had already been asked here on the forum and anyone can look up what flavours people generally like, what strengths etc.

That said, after the recent turn of events, I have started to debate exactly what restrictions should be applied to participate in the next survey and to view its results, and also what way these restrictions should be applied. I don't want to say too much about this but when a new survey I put together is near finalisation, I will give more details of what is being decided.

Last edited:

dagit

Aug 5, 2008
Toronto/Vancouver
ok , I apologies for my sharp tongue ( or fingers ) but it seemed a low blow for anyone to do that let alone a supplier who advertises here. So i'm sorry if I offended but my opinions remain.

As for supplier initiated polls..I still stand by the fact they can be used for more than the community good.

ergo , mr.supplier posts a poll asking which eliquid flavour people buy the most..RY4 wins , said supplier buys in bulk of RY4 , advertises it here and sells it for knock down price..customers picking up atomizers and spares whilst they're there to save on shipping....purpose of poll...market research...my logic ;)

I don't understand - it seems to me you're suggesting such surveys could be used for "bad" purposes, but I don't see what's bad for the community in your example...? How is it bad for any of us that all suppliers are informed of our taste preferences, or that any one or a handful of suppliers arrange to supply products accordingly and end up both offering consumers a good price or earning a buck on other accessories too?

That all sounds pretty good to me as a consumer anyway, and (again presuming that results are available to all) if suppliers can use that info to fairly compete with each other for our business, who is harmed? Personally I want suppliers to know my preferences and compete for my business with great prices!:D

dagit

Aug 5, 2008
Toronto/Vancouver
I think that is fair point. I don't know if you are referring to a post I made but..

When I said "I also think that any supplier conducting a survey might give a sense that its purpose served primarily as market research."

- I was responding to esmoke-e's query as to whether I would object if he created his own independant survey. What I wanted to imply was that people might hesitate to participate in a survey conducted by a supplier. I don't see anything wrong though with a supplier gaining information from a survey no matter who created it. It would help him/her adjust their product-line to suit the needs of their buyers. This is in both parties interest.

What if I became a supplier? (which could happen), would a survey I created now, then be seen as subterfuge to gain incite into the market? I doubt it. Many of the questions that were asked had already been asked here on the forum and anyone can look up what flavours people generally like, what strengths etc.

That said, after the recent turn of events, I have started to debate exactly what restrictions should be applied to participate in the next survey and to view its results, and also what way these restrictions should be applied. I don't want to say too much about this but when a new survey I put together is near finalisation, I will give more details of what is being decided.

I think it was another poster who said something about "absolutely not" in reference to supplier run surveys on the forum.

But anyway, I guess I just don't get the big deal about conducting "market research".

In other industries, product/service suppliers conduct this type of research all the time and consumers participate all the time, at least ostensibly for the benefit of all stakeholders.

Don't we actually want our e-cig suppliers to know our preferences so they can better supply products for us?

I guess the only big diff here is that market research is typically sponsored/operated by (or on behalf of) a specific supplier and so the results of the research can be (and often is) held closely as proprietary by the sponsoring party.

I'm suggesting only that the suppliers in our industry aren't maybe cash flush enough to engage in broad-based market surveys and as consumers we could help them to help us - with the results not be owned by or just known by one supplier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread