• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

A feel good story :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Survivors Mom

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Texas
I'm a Pit Bull lover and advocate!

I've been following the story of the Vicktory Dogs since it came to light. I keep up with them thru some of their Facebook pages, some of the rescue sites and thru Best Friends website.

Lucas has always been one of my favorites because he had such a bad rep thru no fault of his own and because he was court ordered to live out his life at the Best Friends sanctuary.

Here's a little update on Lucas that shows you can teach an old dog new tricks! These dogs are all so amazing and have worked so hard to make their place in society and into peoples hearts.

The dogs and all the people that have and are still working with them have all my respect!

Michael Vick's meanest dog doing great in Kanab | Deseret News

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I'm not a fan of Pitbulls. Whenever I've had my Cocker Spaniel, Dante, at the dog park, and one shows up, I pack us up and leave. Just seen too many bad reports on their temperment. I'm not saying they're all bad. I just think there's a higher likelihood of a "snap" that could turn out bad.

I'm glad Vick's neglected/abused animals are re ceiving care, now, tho.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
Not a Pit but I own a dog that was mistreated the first two years of her life.
Even so she didn't appear to be mean when I went to Taps (No kill shelter). At first she was meek and actually coward when a person got near her.
The longer we had her, the more she came out of her shell and other problems developed. The one that has really stuck is her not trusty other people. This one really causes problems because she is small and cute and will go up, with tail waging, to sniff a person. The trouble begins when that person reaches down to pet her. She instantly goes into defense mode.
That is why we warn anyone that comes to the house: leave her alone and she will leave you alone.
As for frequent visitors, they give her a treat (I have them by each door) when they come in. Some she gets along fairly well with and some still have to ignore her.
She does spend most of her time indoors when we are there but when out the neighbors give her a wide birth. And as she is getting older, we are constantly on her about her behavior and as a precaution we are putting up a kennel.
The kennel is also because most of the time that we leave, we put her outside because when left in, she will try to chew herself out. I don't particularly like chewed up trim so another reason for the kennel.
Before this last year, someone was generally around most of the time. Things have changed and there are now more times when she is left alone for long periods of time so that is yet another reason for the kennel. Another one is because there is now kids in the neighborhood that think it's fun to tease her and then see how close they can get to her. We have neighbors that keep an eye on the house and on Buddie, but it only takes a second for a kid to get into trouble and Buddie would be blamed for it.

I will admit that sometimes there are dogs that are just born mean: you can say the same about humans. But most of the time, it's because of how they were treated by humans and with love and compassion most of those dogs could be saved.
I also believe that with some that are saved, like mine, caution is a very good thing.

And just to add, once you gain her trust, you can do anything you want with her, and she is a lover.

Survivors Mom

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Texas
Awww... I love your Buddie!

My little Terrier mix was extremely abused. When he was approx 7 months old I physically took him out of his then "home" and dared anyone to do anything about it. It took months for him to warm up to me, but he loved my little pit puppy I'd taken out of the same home a few months before. (I know those people hated me and I didn't then and still don't care!) He's now 7 years old and still won't let another person near him. Our trips to the vet are traumatizing to him. He's a very good little boy but just not a people "person".

On the other hand... my last rescue was 2 years ago next month. A female Pit Bull that was approx 5 years old at that time. She showed signs of abuse and my vet figures she was used as a breeder. She has a weak rear-end from many many litters of pups. BUT... she is the most people friendly girl! She loves her some people! When she first got here she was very dog aggressive and I had 5 other dogs. We all worked hard and now she's just a big lover with her brothers and sisters. She's my littlest (12 lbs) boy's favorite toy.

The only thing I disagree with in your post... and it's just my opinion, not an argument, is where you said some dogs are born mean. My opinion is the only instances of them just being born mean is if it's a case of being inbred. I had a Poodle years ago that was a psycho! Due to some health issues she had the vet felt she had been inbred. THAT was a total nut case!! lol

I think a lot of people's misgivings about certain breeds, ie bully breeds, is due to the fear mongering media! They sensationalize things that will bring in the money. Also... most folks, as well as the media, don't know what a real Pit Bull is. The media calls anything with a big head, short hair and broad shoulders a Pit Bull. There are actually 3 breeds under the Pit Bull umbrella by AKC standards, the American Pit Bull Terrier, the Staffordshire Terrier, and the American Staffordshire Terrier. Because of certain traits they all have, one being their complete aim to please, they are misused by some people with evil intentions. They have the physical strength to be dangerous given the right circumstances. They have mental focus like I've never witnessed in another breed... and I've had experience with LOTS of breeds. They also have the most willingness to please I've ever seen. And those aren't just my observations. There are tons of studies on these dogs.

I don't think Pit Bulls are for everyone, not by any means. But for those of us that are responsible Pit Bull owners and truly love the breed, they are amazing family members.

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
That is the problem, it is not any breed that is bad. Like raising kids, no kid is born bad, it is learned behavior. I remember growing up that Dobermans were vicious, that German Shepard are vicious. Volunteering at the animal shelter I hear all sorts of BS about how bad the Pits are.

All dogs are predators by nature, but so are human beings, and so are cats. Every predator species has the potential to be mean. Saying that one breed of dog is mean is like putting a stereotype on a group of people, they tend not to be true. It is a matter of the individual.

I'd rather deal with a pit bull any day of the week than deal with those ankle biting little rat dogs. You want to talk about mean dogs!

Survivors Mom

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Texas
I've had dogs all my life. I've been rescuing for 30 years. I've only ever been bitten by one dog... my little Jack Russell Terrier/Chihuahua mix! :laugh:

You know Running Wolf... your post reminds me of something Cesar Milan said not too long ago. It's very true! He said "In the 70's they blamed Dobermans, in the 80's they blamed German Shepherds, in the 90's they blamed the Rottweiler, now they blame the Pit Bull. When will they blame the humans?"

Did you know that years and years ago Collies were the bad guys?

Attachments

• blamethehumans.jpg
    blamethehumans.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 25

Fudgey

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2010
Oklahoma
That's a great story Survivor!!!

I am dog sitting a dachshund now that keeps snapping at everyone. Thank goodness he has not broke the skin on anyone yet. I tell everyone that comes in the house to leave him alone. My daughter pushed on him to try to keep him outside on Thanksgiving, she didn't even think about him snapping at her.

36tinybells

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2011
Right Over Here
Thank you, SM, for posting that story. I haven't kept up with the dogs lately because I get so full of rage at the people responsible, I just feel so negative it is hard not to do anything. Especially on Sundays, if you get my meaning. The people at Best Friends are angels. I am so glad to see Lucas is so happy now!

Survivors Mom

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Texas
Oh my... do I ever get your meaning! I've read so much about what these dogs and so many that weren't found alive went through, that it's hard to keep going with the stories sometimes. But so many of them have had such a positive influence on the outlook of the breed as a whole that I can't help but keep up and celebrate each and every victory they have. How inspiring they are to me as a person and an animal lover!

And though I get a bit carried away sometimes :blush:, I just can't help but try and spread the love for this amazing breed.

Fudgey... my sister has wieners and all of them are chubs! But they're just so dang cute!

Last edited:

Survivors Mom

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Texas
Ok, here's a pic of another Vicktory Dog, also one of the fighters... Handsome Dan. Now this guy is my hero! His FB page is bookmarked and I visit daily. His family has a rescue for Pit Bull type dogs and Dan plays a huge part in helping to socialize the dogs and getting them ready for adoption.

He's got lots of health issues due to the neglect and abuse. His teeth are a major problem from back in the day when he tried to chew thru the massive chains he was kept on.

He also has some bad allergies and has to get shots for them. This picture was one of the days he had to get a shot and he wasn't feeling too well. His baby sister always gives him love after his shots.

Handsome.jpg

Handsome and his baby sis are very close. When she takes her naps he lays in his bed by her crib and doesn't move until she wakes up. I've read about her throwing some of her stuffed animals down to him so he'd have a toy too. ♥

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
I joke around that the only species I haven't been bitten by are sea mammals and marsupials. I was an idiot about 2 years ago (limit my idiotness to a few times a month normally) and tried to calm a friend of mine's macaw down by giving it a peanut. Bad move and the bird drew blood. Bird will put a hurting on you and no one publicly claims them as being mean!

I've gone up to people on the street with dogs, knelt down and have been like "puppy!" and started petting the dog. When you do it to someone with a Pit a lot of times they do a double take becuase the general population is brain washed into thinking Pits are evil. Anyone that's spent more than a few weeks around dogs know a playful posture from a threatening posture.

Makes you wonder how many people who have been bit by Pit Bulls have been messing with them before hand.... Always love it when some parent claims a dog is viscous cause it bit their sweet little darling. Spend time around little kids and dogs and see how bad the kids usually are.... some times it's a kid being cruel and other times it the kid being a kid and not knowing any better (the latter is sometimes excusable because a wee one doesn't have life experience).

Oh, and a little shelter experience here for folks thinking of adopting. A dog's behavior in the kennel can be 100% different than when it is out of the kennel on a leash. I had a dog like that this past weekend. Jim is a 4 year old Australian Cattle Dog, mellow, playful, not a barker, would walk right into his crate without a problem after taking him out for a walk. I transported critters last weekend, and went to put him back in the kennel and Jim was like Jekyll and Hyde.

So if you're thinking of opening your home to a critter and a dog looks like a match except it is freaking out in the kennel ask to take him/her for a walk. If you were locked up in a cage all day you'd have a different personality all cooked up than you would if you were walking down the street too :)

Survivors Mom

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Texas
playful posture from a threatening posture.

You said an absolute mouthful there!

Having as many dogs as I do and them all being inside dogs, I supervise everything that goes on constantly. Not to say I can't relax in my own home, but I took on these responsibilities and I take them seriously. My two little boys are the most likely ones to square off at each other, but I never let playtime get to rough and if someone gets mad playtime is over right then. Stance is everything with all dogs. During the day when I work, they're all crated and 5 of the 6 are crated at night. Keeps everyone out of trouble... :)

I've learned that when I adopt shelter dogs it can take anywhere from a couple of weeks to a month before they settle in and let their true personalities shine through. But once they've learned what's allowed and expected of them, they're more than happy to follow the rules. I've only experienced one that didn't fit that picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread