Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I smoked for over 40 years and have been vaping for over 4 years and I feel so much healthier now than when I smoked I will never go back, NO cigarettes ever again. After explaining vaping and my feeling healthier to some people, these people have still told me on multiple occasions that if something visible comes out of your mouth upon exhale then you are smoking.

The public as a mass sees it that way and many are just unwilling to change their view, it's like it's an engrained mental block. They have been conditioned from the smoking advertisements seeing the smoke upon exhale from a cigarette and they can't change that hypnotic view.

Best way to deal is to pop the cap on that rda and show 'em (ask first…can I show ya?). Then tell 'em it's about 2/3 water vapor. Ask 'em…Where's the fire? Let such deal with their own conflicted convictions (likely plentiful). Your time is better spent informing those who would be.

Good luck. :)

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I smoked for over 40 years and have been vaping for over 4 years and I feel so much healthier now than when I smoked I will never go back, NO cigarettes ever again. After explaining vaping and my feeling healthier to some people, these people have still told me on multiple occasions that if something visible comes out of your mouth upon exhale then you are smoking.

The public as a mass sees it that way and many are just unwilling to change their view, it's like it's an engrained mental block. They have been conditioned from the smoking advertisements seeing the smoke upon exhale from a cigarette and they can't change that hypnotic view.
I would be tempted to tell them they must be smoking if they step outside on a cold day. Something is coming out of their mouth....must be smoke. You just can't fix a mindset like that :facepalm:

Last edited:

Doctorvapes

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2017
My girlfriends dad has a really bad attitude towards e cigarettes. Even though my girlfriend when she smoked was hospitalized every year due to smoking and since vaping hasn't... He still in an angry high pitched voice informs us that they are worse than cigarettes and we have no choice but to politely agree with him or risk seeing a tantrum.

jdy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My girlfriends dad has a really bad attitude towards e cigarettes. Even though my girlfriend when she smoked was hospitalized every year due to smoking and since vaping hasn't... He still in an angry high pitched voice informs us that they are worse than cigarettes and we have no choice but to politely agree with him or risk seeing a tantrum.

:cry:
There really should be a sad icon to select!
upload_2018-8-5_18-12-36.png

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
So... is he a smoker, or does he just hate his daughter? Maybe both?

I would "risk" seeing the tantrum, again, and again, and again, but I like to live on the edge, like when my MIL came and called brazil nuts (another name) well she also always BOASTS about her son's Native American heritage and she was boasting about it enough that MY son like, asked, "What is our cultural heritage, Mom?" Without a beat I answered, "Well honey it's all sorts of things but because your mom was convict Aussie, well, we have a little Aborigine in us." Just all matter of fact, like.

My MIL is pretty white ALL the time, she went SUPER white at that moment. LOL. It was 100% false, and I was like, "Oh man, the MILs are getting together tomorrow, so I pretty much then had to call my mom, and tell her if it came up, that well, she could either endorse my lie, or tell MIL that her daughter, as usual was a lying brat. I was like, "You make the choice!"
My mon was like, "Okay honey, I sort of have a feeling the topic won't come up."

I chose to let my son believe it for a few years, mainly because, like, I thought it might be good for him to think that, generally for a while (WHY ELSE WOULD IT HAVE HAPPENED?) than his mom being a bratty mean person (which I'm QUITE SURE he already knew). But yeah, he took it rather well, other than pointing out you don't fight hate with hate.

I was like, "Maybe YOU don't kid, but that's because I RAISED YOU RIGHT. Also, you aren't going to understand until you have a MIL."

LOL.

So like, if it were me, I'd be calmly vaping the whole time, and then point out that intense anger is bad for a person, like and suggest some anger management strategies, but I do understand if you like this chick perhaps not wanting to become Persona Non Gratas, at least until the dude, like gives you permission to ask for his daughter's hand in marriage, and he'll probably say something like, "Only if you make her start smoking again."

I say just lie at that point.

Anna

Last edited by a moderator:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
LOL the husband did it to my dad.
"Hi, I am so and so, I'd like to ask for your daughter's hand in marriage?"
"Sure I don't care. Uh, better luck than the last guy."

I was already married and my dad lived in Aus again by then so like, I was powerless to do anything about this casual, patriarchal conversation."

I think he also asked my mom, and my mom probably said something like, "I would love for you to take her off my hands! In fact, I will PAY you even..." LOL, but when the husband started to tell me about that one, I was like, "Honey, please don't tell me, I don't want to know."
He was like, "Yeah, you probably don't." LOL.

Anna

barnwpk

Jul 17, 2018
@pvarck31 - Nope...you're not the only one who has stories like that. I'd bet that every vaper has similar ones to tell, or will have in the near future if they've not been vaping very long yet. I know I do...from conversations with a couple relatives, some longtime friends, some elderly neighbors I've known for 20+ years, etc. ALL of them have and/or had lots of wrong ideas and misinformation about vaping, ie. what vaping actually is, what eliquid is and is not made of, the differences between vaping and smoking, and on and on.

I can and do try to educate them about vaping and clear up anything they've heard or read that's wrong. But, with what's presented on TV, in newspapers, online, etc....it's an uphill battle to get them to believe everything I tell them about vaping. Most can understand and will believe some of it, but not all of it...yet.

Does it get under my skin sometimes, or frustrate me? Yes it does, especially when I know how much healthier I've become since quitting the smokes after 42+ years of them...when I started vaping almost 5 years ago. Do their comments make me think about quitting vaping? Nope...never, not at all. Many of those people will likely never fully understand vaping, and/or think it's better/healthier than smoking. So I've just got to do what I know is best for me, even if they don't understand it, nor see why I do it. :thumbs:

Mikedin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
western new york
So I have a couple little stories. My sister who wouldn't know the difference between a dog and a cat apparently. She likes to tell me how bad vaping is every time I see her. She tells me it's worse than cigarettes and that mods blow up and kill people all the time.

My best friend tried to tell me that what I'm doing is still smoking after I mentioned I hadn't smoked in 2 years now. And I said how do you figure? And he said you're just basically smoking through an electronic device instead of an actual cigarette. He said it's still combustible tobacco in your tank. I'm like WHATTTTTT. He had no clue what vaping even is.

I explained how it all worked and how there is no tobacco, just flavored liquid made from a few food grade ingredients. Then he went on to say that well there is nicotine in it so you might as well just smoke. UGH.

This jut goes to show the general public knows nothing about vaping. And I think because vaping is seen as something close to cigarettes or always being compared to it most people automatically think it's bad without doing any actual research for themselves.

EDIT: I wanted to add one more. I belong to another forum about video games and we have some off-topic sub-forums and I asked if anyone vaped and this guy replied to me and said You should really quit. It's not good for you. I recommend a nicotine patch or gum. I'm like ... are you kidding me?

Is it jsp? (Other forum... don’t want to say the whole site name I haven’t been on here in awhile and don’t remember if it’s allowed) if so I’m on there too same username

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
When I first started vaping I got lots of comments about how, "Those things have anti-freeze in them!". I had already been digging into my search engines to find the truth, so I knew what was in them. To one guy I said, "Propylene Glycol is also in that Coke you are drinking. It's there to reduce foaming". Ethylene Glycol in antifreeze killed animals who liked to lick it up when it leaked on the pavement and EG killed some animals, so the government forced a change to Propylene Glyocol to make anti-freeze safe.

His face became drawn and concerned. So, I said, "But don't worry, it's OK. Propylene Glycol is safe. It's in your toothpaste, soft drinks, foods, and most of the things you rub on your skin. It's also in your eye drops." PG is considered safe by the FDA for foods and cosmetics. Check the label for PG when you buy items. You'd be surprised how many contain PG and we've been consuming them for most of our lives.

I went on to inform him that nicotine wasn't so much the bad guy in cigarettes. It's there in vape juice to help get people off the cigs. Many of the health issues with cigarettes come from the additives that are put in to addict smokers, make cigs taste good, and help them to burn without going out while you are smoking. The nicotine in vape products is diluted pure nic in a solution of PG or VG and contains none of the bad chemicals in tobacco. A few flavorings can be bad and shouldn't be used, but most are benign.

I hope that people I talk to tell 3 more what I've said. We could start a revolution in favor of vaping over cigarettes if people really knew how and why they work and why they are so much safer than smoking.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
When I first started vaping I got lots of comments about how, "Those things have anti-freeze in them!". I had already been digging into my search engines to find the truth, so I knew what was in them. To one guy I said, "Propylene Glycol is also in that Coke you are drinking. It's there to reduce foaming". Ethylene Glycol in antifreeze killed animals who liked to lick it up when it leaked on the pavement and EG killed some animals, so the government forced a change to Propylene Glyocol to make anti-freeze safe.

His face became drawn and concerned. So, I said, "But don't worry, it's OK. Propylene Glycol is safe. It's in your toothpaste, soft drinks, foods, and most of the things you rub on your skin. It's also in your eye drops." PG is considered safe by the FDA for foods and cosmetics. Check the label for PG when you buy items. You'd be surprised how many contain PG and we've been consuming them for most of our lives.

I went on to inform him that nicotine wasn't so much the bad guy in cigarettes. It's there in vape juice to help get people off the cigs. Many of the health issues with cigarettes come from the additives that are put in to addict smokers, make cigs taste good, and help them to burn without going out while you are smoking. The nicotine in vape products is diluted pure nic in a solution of PG or VG and contains none of the bad chemicals in tobacco. A few flavorings can be bad and shouldn't be used, but most are benign.

I hope that people I talk to tell 3 more what I've said. We could start a revolution in favor of vaping over cigarettes if people really knew how and why they work and why they are so much safer than smoking.

I’ve had that antifreeze comment too. It’s pretty amusing to google it, and show them what all has pg in it.

tara81

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
canada
I went to the bar and a lady with a smoke in her hand told me vaping gave her uncle cancer. I asked her if her uncle ever smoked and she said yes. I asked her how long was he vaping and she said about a month. I said sorry to hear about your uncle and didn't bother correcting her because I've tried that in the past and it just never works. lol. Plus I wanted to enjoy my night.

williamclarkonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2014
Iowa United States
So I have a couple little stories. My sister who wouldn't know the difference between a dog and a cat apparently. She likes to tell me how bad vaping is every time I see her. She tells me it's worse than cigarettes and that mods blow up and kill people all the time.

My best friend tried to tell me that what I'm doing is still smoking after I mentioned I hadn't smoked in 2 years now. And I said how do you figure? And he said you're just basically smoking through an electronic device instead of an actual cigarette. He said it's still combustible tobacco in your tank. I'm like WHATTTTTT. He had no clue what vaping even is.

I explained how it all worked and how there is no tobacco, just flavored liquid made from a few food grade ingredients. Then he went on to say that well there is nicotine in it so you might as well just smoke. UGH.

This jut goes to show the general public knows nothing about vaping. And I think because vaping is seen as something close to cigarettes or always being compared to it most people automatically think it's bad without doing any actual research for themselves.

EDIT: I wanted to add one more. I belong to another forum about video games and we have some off-topic sub-forums and I asked if anyone vaped and this guy replied to me and said You should really quit. It's not good for you. I recommend a nicotine patch or gum. I'm like ... are you kidding me?
Yeah i hear alot of misinformation i usually have my information armed and ready to dispelle those misinformations wether it does any good or not i dont know but i have to try

Reactions: stols001

Budgie

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2018
Scotland
My wife and I were in town the other day, I was using an MTL set up, respecting the general publics right not to be engulfed in plumes of my vapour, when I got approached by this elderly gent who proceeded to inform me about him fighting in a war to stop people like me smoking drugs. I’m 60, but came very close to involving this guy fighting in another war!!
So that’s it, if you vape, you’re a (other stuff) head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread